Omlet Deutschland Omlet France Omlet UK Omlet USA Omlet Netherlands

Impacted crop - any help please!  

Are your chickens feeling under the weather? Get your questions answered here.

Impacted crop - any help please!

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:04 am

Hello, new to the forum but would love some advice. Several of our hens seem to be suffering from an impacted crop, but one in particular has become very large and gritty feeling - not to mention incredibly heavy. Although she still seems very active and is eating, she is losing weight quite quickly and has stopped laying. I have tried oils, bicarbonate and massage but nothing seems to be working. They are fed on layers pellets, grit, clam shell and corn, they also free range around the garden so should be accessing natural occuring grit in the ground too and they also get daily scraps (veg/fruit bits and peelings). I have read that live white maggotts can be fed to them ( I assume they eat through the impaction and then are passed through??) has any body else heard of this? I'm willing to try anything for them before resorting to veterinary treatment (last time we took a hen to the vets it cost us over £100). Please - any advice would be appreciated, thanks! Emma
Em's hens'
Freshly Laid Egg

Re: Impacted crop - any help please!

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:30 am

Hi Emma, welcome to the forum :) . Sorry your first post is a problem :? .

I've no experience of impacted crops I'm afraid but it sounds like you're doing all the right things. I've definitely heard of using live maggots - I think they work really well.

You might want to put this post in "Chicken Clinic" too as more people might notice it there and offer advice :) .
Ain't Nobody Here
Eggsistentialist

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:28 pm

**This useful article** is in the FAQ section. :D

If you type "Impacted crop" into search, you will find several helpful threads on the subject too.
(green eglu) (yellow eglu) (red eglu) (pink eglu) (cube purple)
More hens than enough.

Please check your bonfire for sleeping hedgehogs before lighting it.

hensitter.co.uk
Egluntyne

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:48 pm

HI :D
I'm fairly new to all of this, but I've read that probiotic yoghurt (and they will probably love it as mine do!) can help, also massaging the crop and as someone has suggested, live maggots :vom:

(green eglu)
(Bluebelle)-Barbara"Okay you may have an egg today" !egg! 28/07/08
(Bluebelle)-Margot"Nope, none from meee again" !egg! 04/08/08
Donna, Gav and Georgie the cat xx
Donna_0
Chicken Eggspert

Post Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:29 pm

Hi Emma!
Pop along to your local fishing shop and buy a pint of white maggots. Pretty gross at first, but you soon get used to it. Give your girls a treat every afternoon of some live maggots, served on a bed of lettuce, rice, couscous, sweetcorn etc. If it's simple impacted crop the maggots will sort it out in 4 or 5 days. Your hens will all love the maggots and they won't do any harm to any of them.

Tips:
Keep the maggots in the fridge or they will turn into flies. :vom: Being cold stops them wriggling so much too.
Once you have put the maggots into bowls, serve them immediately or they will climb out :vom:

Good luck and let us know if it sorts the problem out!
Ginette

with Harmonie (Bluebelle), Echo PP, Viola PP and Gamba PP in a (blue eglu) plus a vacant (orange eglu)
RIP Mélodie 25.02.12 Lieblich 24.10.11 Vox 17.02.11 Diapason 4.7.10 Mixture 2.6.10 Flute 31.3.10 Kath 28.4.08 Kelly 28.4.08 Kim 26.4.08 Piccolo 21.11.07
Ginette
Feathery Fanatic

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:21 am

Hi Emma.

I echo all what others have said. I gave my girl live white maggots. If you can't find a local fishing tackle shop you can buy online. It's more expensive online but I got some from a great company. Put "white maggots" in their search box, £5.25 for 1 pint. You have to be in to sign for delivery though.

http://www.wormsdirectuk.co.uk

Give her live bio yoghurt or some Actimel drink. Some of my hens will eat yoghurt neat, but others prefer it mixed with pellets or maggot.... :vom:

I added warm water + Actimel to the pellets to make them sloshy and easier for Henny to digest when she had impacted crop. But be warned, mine now prefer this and turn their beaks up at normal pellets now.
Katy – with (green eglu) since May 2007
RIP 4 x Original Omlet Girls from 2007 Died 2010 & 2011 - New hybrids Aug 2011
PP Mrs Moriarty (Speckaldy)
PP Martha (Miss Pepperpot)
(Bluebelle) Millicent (might be a Skyline but she’s all grey – so time will tell)
Hen Watch
Chicken Addict

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:13 am

Hi... I just read through the thing about impacted/compacted crop in the Faq section, it says not to feed chickens bread...

Is this only after one has had compacted crop or at any time, mine love it and it seems a shame to not give it to them, obviously not in huge amounts, but when we have stale ends they go mad!

Thanks

Eve
Hetty PP (been around for several years now but can't remember first egg :roll:)
Daisy (second round of chickens to make up for Betty) GNR
and Pearl (Bluebelle) (Daisy's contemporary) laid first egg 26 august 2007, tiny but perfect
all living in a (red eglu)

R.I.P Betty (Hetty's sorely missed friend) GNR
Poplars
Chicken Eggspert

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:18 am

Poplars wrote:Hi... I just read through the thing about impacted/compacted crop in the Faq section, it says not to feed chickens bread...

Is this only after one has had compacted crop or at any time, mine love it and it seems a shame to not give it to them, obviously not in huge amounts, but when we have stale ends they go mad!

Thanks

Eve

I learnt on my hen course on Sunday that the gluten in the bread makes it swell in their crops and can cause it to become compacted.
A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked.
-- Bernard Meltzer

Now chickenless :(
ClaireG
Effusive Egg Layer

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:32 am

If you give it in tiny chunks, and moisten it it will be OK.

Huge chunks of a stick to your ribs wholemeal might not be so good.

Bread is a very useful way of administering medicines.
(green eglu) (yellow eglu) (red eglu) (pink eglu) (cube purple)
More hens than enough.

Please check your bonfire for sleeping hedgehogs before lighting it.

hensitter.co.uk
Egluntyne

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:25 pm

I gave mine maggots, massages and in about a week she was a lot better - the maggots really work and although they are expenseive, the ones from wormsdirect arrive quickly. Hope it works! :D
(Bluebelle), Mushu, arrived 1/9/09
PP, Charlie, arrived 1/9/09
(white chicken), Snowball, arrived 9/8/10
PP, Bertha, arrived 11/11/2011

(white guinea) Regina Phalange
(brown guinea) Davros
alih
Chatty Chicken

Post Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:45 pm

I started with Worms Direct and really appreciate their little tub, which I still have. The fishing shop sells maggots in see=through plastic bags! After this horrible experience, I always took the tub round to the shop and asked for half a pint of maggots in it.
Ginette

with Harmonie (Bluebelle), Echo PP, Viola PP and Gamba PP in a (blue eglu) plus a vacant (orange eglu)
RIP Mélodie 25.02.12 Lieblich 24.10.11 Vox 17.02.11 Diapason 4.7.10 Mixture 2.6.10 Flute 31.3.10 Kath 28.4.08 Kelly 28.4.08 Kim 26.4.08 Piccolo 21.11.07
Ginette
Feathery Fanatic

Post Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:45 pm

Olive oil in a syringe and a bowl of maggots (the uncoloured kind) have worked for me twice. :D
GNR George - Gingernut Ranger
PP Lulu - Miss Pepperpot R.I.P. 19.4.08
GNR Barbara - Gingernut Ranger R.I.P. 18.8.08
PP Betty - Black Rock
PP Maureen - Black Rock
PP Gloria - Black Rock
(white chicken) Thelma - White Star
(white chicken) Louise - White Star
GNR Ruby - Gingernut Ranger
GNR Delia - Gingernut Ranger

(cube lilac) all living in Peckingham Palace

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll88 ... orge-1.jpg