Omlet Deutschland Omlet France Omlet UK Omlet USA Omlet Netherlands

Weeping vent  

Are your chickens feeling under the weather? Get your questions answered here.

Weeping vent

Post Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:41 pm

My 3 year old chicken recently suffered from egg peritonitis which she seemed to have overcome, the vet was very happy with her on her last check up (2 weeks ago) and since then she has started to moult (with lots of lovely new feathers now appearing) I had hoped this was a good sign that the body was well enough to go through such a process. Unfortunately on her weekly health inspection I noticed her vent was rather smelly and dirty with what i can only describe as a yellowy sticky scab which looks to me like the vent has been weeping clear fluid which has dried out, I have bathed her and cleaned it up but within 2 days it was messy again although not as much, so i bathed it again with some salt water last night as i hoped this would clean it more effectively, the top of the vent looks enlarged (although not sore) and the it looks rather wet and its puckering a lot.

In herself she is fine, eating and drinking normally, she is very active, dust bathing and preening, her poo has returned to normal following the peritonitis which had made it green, watery and smelly which i also had seen as a good sign.

Does any one have any ideas what this could be and if so how to treat?

Thanks in advance for any help
piglet
Chicken Eggspert

Re: Weeping vent

Post Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:07 am

Vent gleet is an infection with discharge and terrible smell, or there are other infections or inflamations causing discharge. Could it be a broken egg she's passing, though unlikely if she moulting :?

Probably best to ask a vet
(cube lilac) - Chicken Cottage

the Wyandotte bantam ladies - Coot and Moorhen (Bluebelle) GNR
Orp and Pekin girls - Budgie and Crow (Bluebelle) GNR
Hybrid babes Wren GNR and Blackbird PP
Plum
Chronic Clucker

Return to Chicken Clinic