Omlet Deutschland Omlet France Omlet UK Omlet USA Omlet Netherlands

Cake Stand Wobbly - Please help  

Are you crafty? Tell us about your craft projects here. THIS IS NOT A SHOP FRONT THOUGH SO NO ADVERTISING OF PRODUCTS FOR SALE.

Cake Stand Wobbly - Please help

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi all,

I found your forums from a google search - the only place to come close to helping me find my answer!

I am trying to make cake stands with fittings from ebay for the first time. I bought from seller 'treasurejunkeez' and they are lovely looking but I can not get my cake stands to sit flat. They aren't just a bit wobbly, they are noticeably slanted to one side.
I have drilled 2 different bottom plates and am screwing the bolt in as tight as I can with the washers but it will not sit flat to the bottom plate. Is it because I have not drilled my hole in the true centre..hence the slope. Or is it a fault with the fixtures. The screw is not a perfect T-shape, it is noticeably sloped upwards from the head.

I'm terrified to drill anything else and any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. So worried I've ruined these plates and scared to drill the next size of plates to go on top. Really wanted to give some as Christmas gifts

xox
susanastar
Freshly Laid Egg

Re: Cake Stand Wobbly - Please help

Post Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:55 pm

A few omleteers have made these and I am sure they will help. It sounds as though the fitting is faulty so I would contact the seller and ask for proper replacement ones.

Failing that can you put something in to correct the slope like a slither of something :?
(cube lilac) - Chicken Cottage

the Wyandotte bantam ladies - Coot and Moorhen (Bluebelle) GNR
Orp and Pekin girls - Budgie and Crow (Bluebelle) GNR
Hybrid babes Wren GNR and Blackbird PP
Plum
Chronic Clucker

Post Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:08 pm

I did have the same problem with one set of fittings so I think yours may be faulty. I ended up using small glasses or vases as the divider and glueing them with multi-purpose glue. They are much stronger.....but not as elegant looking. Not dishwasher safe - gentle hand-washing only.

Another problem could be very heavy plates, the fittings work better with light plates.
12 X (green eglu) (pink eglu) (purple eglu) (blue eglu) (yellow eglu) (red eglu)
Lots of (Bluebelle) GNR (white chicken) PP
Ducks and Bees
2 Angus cows - 8 sheep - 3 pigs
6 neutered farm kitties!
And..... Jazz, black Lab, Tali - a juvenile delinquent yellow Lab!
All down on the farm!
http://www.Pixiedots.co.uk
http://www.ehlers-danlos.org/
Lesley
Eggsistentialist

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Thanks for the replies, I contacted the seller and they said something vague about looking to replace their fitting packs with flatter screws. I have tried 3 different plates now of different sizes and they all slope so that one half of not the plate lies on the table while the other is up in the air. I'm paranoid I'm just not finding proper centre. Maybe I should try buying a flatter screw from B&Q and trying.
Does anyone have any good tips on where to buy fittings?

Thanks again!
susanastar
Freshly Laid Egg

Post Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Are you drilling the holes straight?
(cube lilac) - Chicken Cottage

the Wyandotte bantam ladies - Coot and Moorhen (Bluebelle) GNR
Orp and Pekin girls - Budgie and Crow (Bluebelle) GNR
Hybrid babes Wren GNR and Blackbird PP
Plum
Chronic Clucker