Omlet Deutschland Omlet France Omlet UK Omlet USA Omlet Netherlands

Eggshell with small white spots  

When is your hen going to lay her first egg? What's this strange looking egg? Why has my hen stopped laying? Find answers to your questions in here and celebrate your first eggs with us here too!

Eggshell with small white spots

Post Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:35 pm

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone tell me what causes an eggshell to look as if it is covered in tiny white dots almost powdery as one of my chics has laid two in two days?

What can I do to put it right diet wise?

Guinness, Stella, Snowball and Brandy
Ducks and Geese
Meg (Golden Retriever)
Daisy and Tess (Cats)
Ian 6
Freshly Laid Egg

Re: Eggshell with small white spots

Post Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:17 am

I think they're calcium deposits - that's from the dusty, rarely used part of my memory so I may have it wrong!

I'm not sure what the answer is though, do you have oystershell grit available to them? If so, you could try removing it to see if that helps. I don't think it's anything to worry about and you don't want them to go the other way and start laying softies, so it might be best to leave well alone and see how it goes!
Jools
Chicken Addict

Re: Eggshell with small white spots

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:46 pm

Hello Ian

Just wondering what happened with your spotty eggs? I got one today from Marbles who started laying on 20 Dec. Another 2 have started in the last couple of weeks and all the eggshells are thin. Today I added a little baked eggshell to the morning porridge but maybe it was too much for Marbles. I'm thinking I'll need to wait to see how the eggs settle down before making any changes to their diet and be more patient!

Thanks
(cube green) PP Black Rocks, arr 6 Nov 09: Mabel, Marbles, Fran & Anna
Jac and Rory
Chicken Eggspert

Return to Eggs