Omlet Deutschland Omlet France Omlet UK Omlet USA Omlet Netherlands

My chickens combs and wattles are not growing  

If you would like to meet other eglu owners and share stories, tips or get an answer to a question about your chickens then check out this forum. You're not alone!

My chickens combs and wattles are not growing

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi we are new to chicken keeping and loving every moment and have three lovely hens,but after having them for nearly 8 weeks 2 of the hens have not grown their combs or wattles nor are they laying yet,and our other hen has been laying for 2 weeks and has a full wattle and comb.Can anyone tell us any reason why this may be happening,we have contacted the place where we got them from which has a good reputation and they said they had one other call from someone that had the same problem as us,who got theirs at the same time and to phone them back in 3 weeks if they still haven't grown.
Has anyone come across this before and what is it???????????????????

thanks

jo and paul
joandpauls
Freshly Laid Egg

Re: My chickens combs and wattles are not growing

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:09 pm

What breed of chickens are they? Hybrids or pure breeds? Just wondering if the 'coming in to lay' thing might slow down with the darker nights and colder weather - expecially if they are pure breeds...
Also, I think sometimes they just fail to mature. I remember another post from an Omleteer who has a hen that doesn't lay and has never grown comb and wattles - but I think you would be very unlucky to have two like that....
Prim HenMum

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:13 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry.....they all mature at different rates, and the shortening days will have an impact also.
(green eglu) (yellow eglu) (red eglu) (pink eglu) (cube purple)
More hens than enough.

Please check your bonfire for sleeping hedgehogs before lighting it.

hensitter.co.uk
Egluntyne

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:22 pm

thanks for such quick replies.The hens in question are hybrids,1 being a light sussex and the other being a black rock.
It was only because the supplier said that another person who got theirs at the same time had the same problem and this concerned us.
This would be our luck as things like this always seem to happen to us lol
We are just worried that there is a problem as we are having some lovely eggs from the bluebell (Abi) bless her even double yolkers
joandpauls
Freshly Laid Egg

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:47 pm

joandpauls wrote:thanks for such quick replies.The hens in question are hybrids,1 being a light sussex and the other being a black rock.

Hello, Light Sussex are pure bread and don't often lay in the winter months, but black rocks are hybrids so hopefully she will start soon.

My light sussex has the biggest comb and wattles of all my girls so don't worry I am sure she will get there in the end :D
(cube orange) (green eglu) (pink eglu)

Buff Sussex - Poppy Dora Poppy-Jnr Edna

Red Sussex - Rosie Rowan

Malays - Mackam Harriet

Mostin Ranger - Dolly-Jnr Nutmeg Cinnamon Pinky Perky

Welsummers - Beyonce Karin

Araucana crosses - Bluey Cheryl Coco Becky JJ

Broodies - Babs Bev Bobbi Bunty

Loners - Willow Carla

CHOOK COUNT= 26
mostin
Feathery Fanatic

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:00 pm

With my first two, geraldine's comb or wattle never really developed like georgina's did, but she still laid eggs most days. Have yet to find out what's going to happen to Betty's.
*Proud owner of Georgina and Betty, hoping that Georgina begins to appreciate her new friend soon, or at least learns to tolerate her*

(green eglu) 11th June 07
GNR georgina 1st !egg! 20th June 07
(white chicken) betty 1st !egg! not yet....
RIP GNR geraldine 15/09/08
enzed
Chicken Eggspert

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:37 pm

Hi there :) I got 6 chickens from Eglu at the beginning of September and 2 of them have huge bright red combs and wattles and 2 have large red wattles and one is getting pinky now and the other has a small white hard thing and she's smaller than the others. I was just thinking that they mature at different rates just like we do. I do sometimes look at the less mature one and wonder if she's not getting enough of everything - but I think she is - she's just a late developer :)
[b] (cube purple) - arrived 4th Sept 2008

GNR (Penelope) - mine
GNR (Antigone) - mine
PP (Heather Feather) - belongs to younger son
PP (Boudicca) - belongs to elder son

PP (Raven) - RIP belonged to husband. Died Dec 30th 2009
GNR (Sue) - RIP belonged to daughter. Died Oct 2009
pistachio
Frequent Layer

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:20 am

One of my girls has never matured - she rarely lays eggs and if she tries they come out veeeery strange. Still love her though!
(green eglu)
Dilys - GNR !egg!
Arial - !egg!
Blodwyn - !egg!
Cerys - !egg!
Clur
All Knowing Superchicken

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:14 am

I've got a late developer too. Would love to hear when yours does finally produce eggs.. Keep us updated. Mine is a silvernik and is about 23 weeks now.. v small face furniture. She isn't sqatting. Clearly decided to wait a while longer!
(orange eglu)
PPEggy (May'07) !eggbrown!
PPPeggy (May'07) !eggbrown!
(white chicken)Sam (Sep'08) !eggbrown! 25dec, finally!
GNRGregory 'peck' (Sep'08) !egggreen!
eggypeggy
Chicken Eggspert

Post Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:42 am

Mostin wrote: Hello, Light Sussex are pure bread and don't often lay in the winter months, :D

I have a light sussex hybrid, Cleo who started laying at the end of last month and has continued quite happily since. She did not pay as quickly as the other two who started about a month or so earlier. It may be that she is just a little behind the others. I put it down to the fact that Cleo had to use her energy to grow as she is bigger and more muscular that my other two! :D Give her time and see!
Lisa :D
(green eglu) arrived 28.08.08
GNR Lohman Brown - Geraldine (Gerry) arrived 28.08.08 !eggbrown! 54g 29.08.08
PP Maran Cuirvrée - Cordelia (Dilly) arrived 28.08.08 !eggbrown! 38g 05.09.08
(white chicken) Light Sussex Hybrid - Cleopatra (Cleo) arrived 28.08.08 !eggbrown! 40g 27.09.08
2 Children
Pond with Goldfish
4 Aquariums - 2 Gold Fish & 2 Tropical Fish (Baby Mollys 28.08.08)
Hamster - Twiglet (Twiggy) RIP
2 Rats - Marmite & Cocoa RIP
Lisa
Frequent Layer

Return to Chickens