Omlet Deutschland Omlet France Omlet UK Omlet USA Omlet Netherlands

new chickens not coming out of coop  

If you would like to meet other eglu owners and share stories, tips or get an answer to a question about your chickens then check out this forum. You're not alone!

new chickens not coming out of coop

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:32 am

Yesterday I bought 3 POL hybrids. I put them in the coop last night. Well this morning they haven't ventured out yet. I'm not sure what to do, should I leave them to it and hope they come out or should I take them out? I am worried that they haven't had anything to eat or drink this morning. I am also worried that they won't get in the coop tonight and out again tomorrow, if I take them out.
What do you think I should do?
Olivia
GNR Billabong (Billie) named by my daughter, goldline arrived 15/6/10 1st !egg! 26/6/10 RIP
GNR Hetty, goldline arrived 15/6/10 1st !egg! 26/6/10
GNR Tikka, goldline arrived 15/6/10 1st !egg! 24/6/10
GNR Sky, skyline arrived 25/10/11
PP Coco, maran arrived 25/10/11
(white chicken) Snow flake, white star arrived 25/10/11
Goldstar
Frequent Layer

Re: new chickens not coming out of coop

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:51 am

I've always found the same issue with every set of 'new' hens. They just are not sure of what to do. I give them a chance, anything from half an hour to an hour, then I open the egg port and gently shoo them out. Don't worry about them getting scared of you, as long as you are gentle, with no sudden big movements they'll be fine.

Tonight just put a torch in the area they are to sleep in (in my Eglu I put the torch in the nest box) before it gets dark. If the light is fading, but its still fairly light and they haven't gone to bed themselves you might need to then get into the run and 'direct' them into the coop. I have ended up crawling like a commando on my tummy to get 'new' girls into the Eglu before! I have been worried that I've scared them when doing this, but by the next morning they've forgiven me (or forgotten the stress) and then have taken themselves to bed from the second night onwards. I usually use a torch for about a week before letting them go into bed without it. Oh ... don't forget to take the torch out of the coop once they're in bed and you've shut the door!

Hope this helps, enjoy.
Our girls - Lavender (Bluebelle) & Rosa (ex-batt).

One guinea pig lady - the lovely Lupin.
cavysqueak
Chicken Eggspert

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:32 am

Mine spent the 1st day just peeking out, I guess it might be different as you already have some chickens so they will also be sussing out their order in the flock and how to get to the food. I also have a Tikka (goldline) and a Snowflake (Light Sussex), and love the name Coco!
Chicken-mum since 27/07/11
Tikka (goldline) MISSING SINCE 5TH JUNE 2014 - TAKEN (BY CUSTOMER) FROM JC CHICKENS FARM, BITTON, NEAR BRISTOL WHILST SHE WAS BOARDING THERE[/b] contact me with any information please
Snowflake (light sussex)
Rosie (Columbian Blacktail)
residing in Tikkas Palace (eglu, extended run & lo-rise walk-in run)
garden also belongs to Harvey Labrador & Tess Weimaraner
hammy72
Frequent Layer

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:51 am

Thank you both for your replies. I had to get them out in the end. My 2 original girls are free ranging . Hopefully they will put themselves to bed tonight and get out in the morning. Thanks again
Olivia
GNR Billabong (Billie) named by my daughter, goldline arrived 15/6/10 1st !egg! 26/6/10 RIP
GNR Hetty, goldline arrived 15/6/10 1st !egg! 26/6/10
GNR Tikka, goldline arrived 15/6/10 1st !egg! 24/6/10
GNR Sky, skyline arrived 25/10/11
PP Coco, maran arrived 25/10/11
(white chicken) Snow flake, white star arrived 25/10/11
Goldstar
Frequent Layer

Return to Chickens