Omlet Deutschland Omlet France Omlet UK Omlet USA Omlet Netherlands

How long does broodiness last?  

If you would like to meet other eglu owners and share stories, tips or get an answer to a question about your chickens then check out this forum. You're not alone!

Re: How long does broodiness last?

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:07 pm

The Dogmother wrote:luvachicken, I have a pekin who is that same - always broody through the summer months. She is 7 years old now and has been an excellent broody mum when we have been hatching, but if we aren't setting eggs, she goes in the 'Cage of Shame' as my daughter calls it. :wink:

Yes, funny little pekins aren't they :lol: if a bit annoying, but I don't mind so much if the others are laying.
I was thinking about doing some chicks with her but was more worried about upsetting the apple-cart when they all get mixed back in with the others and I would rather the peace they have at the moment.
Seven years of that behaviour though :shock:
(cube lilac) - for the babies, Lucie, buff plymouth rock, and Queenie, Gemma and Suzie - the pekin bantams
(purple eglu) - now empty
(black white rabbit) Crunchie

RIP Evie,Charlotte,Matilda,Poppy,Phoebe,Melody and sweet dreams lovely chicks Penny and Heidi, and our beautiful bunny Wispa. And Daisy our elderly cocker spaniel happily chasing rabbits in the sky.
luvachicken
Effusive Egg Layer

Post Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:16 pm

Mine go in a retriever sized dog crate, but amazon warehouse have 2 x 30inch medium crates for only £13.69 (free shipping) each at the moment, this might be a better size than my xxxl one lol
I only mind mine going broody because of the noise the others make if the nest box is full of stubborn pekin
(Bluebelle) - Dolly/Babs a silver pencilled Wyandotte bantam
GNR - Agnes a Buff Plymouth Rock bantam
GNR - Phoebe/Daphne a Newhampshire Red Bantam
(purple eglu)
Bea a Dark Brown Pekin
Bess Pekin
Choo-chook
Chicken Eggspert

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:26 am

Right, I will gat a broody cage but in the meantime I have gone for tough love. I have separated her into one side of my run. She has food and drink and room to scratch and peck, but I have shut the pop hole so she can't get into the nesting box anymore. The other three have access to the alternative nesting box. Do I leave her out all night? :( :( As if she was in the broody cage she would be out all night?
Millie-Annie
Frequent Layer

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:30 am

Choo-chook wrote:, but amazon warehouse have 2 x 30inch medium crates for only £13.69 (free shipping) each at the moment,

Could you post a link please I have been and looked but can't find it
Millie-Annie
Frequent Layer

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:25 am

Yes, leave her out for 3 days, 24/7. Avoid feeding corn when they are broody as it makes them hot when they are digesting it.
(cube purple) (orange eglu)
And a dozen or so Beautiful Bantam Babes, plus two lurchers and two cats

"a poacher to his eyelids, as all the lurcher clan,
follows silent as a shadow, and clever as a man"

The Dogmother
Eggsistentialist

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:46 am

I have bought her some tonic and some garlic and something pellets.

She doesn't seem over bothered she was having a dust bath last time I looked
Millie-Annie
Frequent Layer

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:36 pm

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00591001O/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
Hope this works
(Bluebelle) - Dolly/Babs a silver pencilled Wyandotte bantam
GNR - Agnes a Buff Plymouth Rock bantam
GNR - Phoebe/Daphne a Newhampshire Red Bantam
(purple eglu)
Bea a Dark Brown Pekin
Bess Pekin
Choo-chook
Chicken Eggspert

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:49 pm

Right thank you, I have ordered the crate.

I feel really cruel leaving her out all cold and lonely tonight :( :(
Millie-Annie
Frequent Layer

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:42 pm

I wouldn't worry, it's not a cold night and she has a warm feather duvet. Their body temperature is 105deg, so they don't feel the cold as we do..... I had one which used to roost in a tree at night :roll:
(cube purple) (orange eglu)
And a dozen or so Beautiful Bantam Babes, plus two lurchers and two cats

"a poacher to his eyelids, as all the lurcher clan,
follows silent as a shadow, and clever as a man"

The Dogmother
Eggsistentialist

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Just found this thread and Oops a crate jumped into my basket whilst perusing amazon just to see what was being discussed you understand :whistle:

Thanks for the head up I have seen the same one sell for more second hand :shock:
keyhole kate
Chatty Chicken

Post Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:17 pm

I brought one of these when one of my girls were poorly; they're really useful for overnight stays in the house. I've only had hybrids in the past until I got my new girls a few weeks ago, so I've got all the broody behaviour to come yet :roll:
(Bluebelle) Bluebell
(white chicken) Amber
GNR Poppy
(white chicken) Daisy (Silkie)
GNR Barbara (Barbu D'Uccle)
PP Mo Mo (Silkie)
GNR Penny (Gold Partridge Pekin)

(cube green) (green eglu) (green eglu)

RIP Queenie 12.7.13 Pepper 13.1.14 Millie 25.3.14 Fleur 14.7.14
Claireabella
Frequent Layer

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am

I'm just curious but is there such thing as a non/less broody bantam? As I only have a small set up I think they would be more suitable due to size however I'm not sure as a first time hen keeper I'd be up to the task of dealing with broody hens so frequently :lol:
Egg_x
Chicken Eggspert

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:50 am

Yes, some breeds are less prone to being broody, but there is no such thing as a completely non-broody hen :lol: Lightweight Mediterranean breeds are less likely to want to sit on eggs - things like polands, ancona, hamburghs, campines, minorcas, rosecombs etc
Daphne
Effusive Egg Layer

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:21 am

Daphne wrote:Yes, some breeds are less prone to being broody, but there is no such thing as a completely non-broody hen :lol: Lightweight Mediterranean breeds are less likely to want to sit on eggs - things like polands, ancona, hamburghs, campines, minorcas, rosecombs etc

Thanks! Just had a quick read up on each of the breeds, seems they prefer to free range for larger amounts of time - I'll only be able to allow this when home from work. Who knew hen keeping came with so many considerations/decisions :lol: maybe I'll revert back to hybrids as a starting point and just not get too many to grant them extra space.
Egg_x
Chicken Eggspert

Post Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:38 am

Hi ive picked up some good dog crates from ebay my cheapest was £3 for a large one bargain I would also feed her chickcrumb if she has lost a lot of weight I know your not letting her sit but all my broodys eat chickcrumb with the smallest amount of corn added from the day I put them on eggs and it seems to keep them going and really fattens them up again and it wouldn't hurt her for a few weeks but im sure she will be fine leanne :)
Hobby Breeder of pekin Bantams in Milliefleur smooth/frizzle,lavender smooth/frizzle,lemon cuckoo,,Blue mottled smooth/frizzle,porcelain,Brahmas,porcelain sablepoots and various other Ducks and lf,2 cocker spaniels and Eric and Ernie the twin pygmys.
miller30
All Knowing Superchicken

PreviousNext

Return to Chickens