Omlet Deutschland Omlet France Omlet UK Omlet USA Omlet Netherlands

bleeding toe  

If you would like to meet other eglu owners and share stories, tips or get an answer to a question about your chickens then check out this forum. You're not alone!

bleeding toe

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:11 am

One of my chickens - bottom of the pecking order has a bleeding toe. I assume it was caused by the top hen who pickles on her quite a bit. We have had them 5 weeks - 5 ex batts. I isolated the inked girl lady night and today she can be free outside the run - but tomorrow we will be at work and so she really needs to be in with the others. If she had stopped bleeding tonight ca I just put some purple spray on the route and put her back in with the others - she is usually t on in the wall in run as there are places to hide - think she got injured when they were out and she got backed into a corner. Also - I know the pecking order is normal but I'd it normal for one to nave go spend most of the day hiding / miss out on treats/ be pecked energy gone the top hen see her? I'm finding it hard not to dislike the bully. Thanks
helen_molly
Freshly Laid Egg

Re: bleeding toe

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:18 am

You need extra feeders and drinkers for the victim, who may not be laying because she isn't eating enough. I'd put a Bumpa beak bit on the bully which will calm her down. Pecked feet can be a sign of scaly leg mite so worth checking. The injury needs a bandage and we use gauze with tea tree cream on and hold it in place with micropore tape wrapped right around the toe. The tape usually falls off in a few days, but if not will need removal.
Beantree
All Knowing Superchicken

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:34 am

Thanks beantree - dont know why I didn't think of a bandage.
helen_molly
Freshly Laid Egg

Post Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:38 pm

One of my chickens had a bleeding toe once and we used a bandage and micropore tape
(green eglu)
Binnie - Bluebelle (Bluebelle) received 19/02/11
Lottie - Rhode Rock PP received 19/03/11
Lillie - Suffolk Pied PP received 19/03/11
Percy - Budgie hatched 17/9/04
http://www.flickr.com/photos/percy049/
percy049
Chatty Chicken

Post Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:00 pm

Be careful with bandages, they can get caught on things and very dirty and cause more problems than they solve.
(green eglu) (yellow eglu) (red eglu) (pink eglu) (cube purple)
More hens than enough.

Please check your bonfire for sleeping hedgehogs before lighting it.

hensitter.co.uk
Egluntyne

Return to Chickens