All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Valkyrie

Updates from Devon

Oooh looking forward to the pics - with sinks too! I did wonder if you had added a paving saw to your expertise! There is a Belfast sink round the side of the house, but it has a lot of stonecrop in there - different sorts! Not mine, but it looks nice enough.
  3. The Dogmother

I have raised a fierce woman!

Some of you might have seen this article in the press a couple of days ago; I sent it to Madam as she is studying in Edinburgh and uses that gym - so do I when I visit her. Weeeelll... she started a storm! Raised a petition (with 800 signatures and counting) requesting overdue action (this happened in January) from the uni on this matter. Sent an open letter to the Principal demanding that something be done, so this man has been disciplined and lost his job. Goodness knows, she has had her own issues, but I am pleased to have raised a fierce woman - all I ever did was teach her to support what she feels is right. I am glad that she did that. His sort of behaviour, and language is not acceptable in any way. That girl may have had a valid reason for not showing up, and she is someone's daughter or loved one. They will be hurting about this too. I hope that she has support while dealing with the news from the original article Nuff said!
  4. The Dogmother

Updates from Devon

It is another sink A - I have quite a collection now.. this one came from my parents' place when my dad sold it last year; it is a very heavy white and ochre one. I have to admit to not laying the patio myself - I came up with the design (reclaimed bricks and stuff) and a friend's OH, who is a brickie, laid it for me, with me acting as his labourer. I will post photos at the weekend
  5. Valkyrie

Updates from Devon

OH has sent an email to the architect today! Hopefully we will be able to start the ball rolling on the rebuild! And my quilting studio! In the wish list is an area to bring on chicks (or perhaps ducks - I have duck envy as well as barn envy) and an area separate for chook equipment and possible dispatch area. I'm going to be a horrible chicken munching person - or maybe duck munching - at a later date. I just love the idea of having our plates with our own home grown food, although lamb, pork and beef - and goose will come from our neighbours. OH has put his foot down with regard to piglets. Oooh and I've emailed the Animal Health Registration peeps with regard to the smallholding number. Hopefully we can keep the number going - just in case!
  6. Valkyrie

The Weather Thread #9

Yes - much more chilly than the day before! Would be nice to have settled weather with a gradual warm up rather than swelter then freeze! Lots of rain today - I set up the rain gauge last night and so far we have had almost 3 inches of rain! At least the sun came out this afternoon for a little while. My FIL has had his lawn completely returfed and was hoping for a deluge. They had 10 minutes of light rain, so he is annoyed that he will have to use the hose and they are on a meter! LOL!
  7. dianefairhall

Welcome to the New Omlet Forum!

I have just joined and have no idea how to post. Please help.
  8. Ursula123

France stuff + questions

Having lived here for two years I have not figured out the Bon soir question, you can be in the supermarket and the checkout person will say Bonsoir to the person in front of you so when it's your turn and you say Bonsoir they reply with bonjour. Our French neighbour says its when its dark but who knows. My favourite French saying is ' tomber dans les pommes' nothing to do with apples but means I have fainted.
  9. Patricia W

Soundproofing a room?

That sounds like a plan!
  10. Patricia W

Handling ex battery hens

They will never have been handled before, plus they will be overdosing on new sensations just now. Give them time. And treats! I find the best time to begin handling new hens is tonpick them out of the nest box for a cuddle in the late evening when they are sleepy and docile. But give them time. In six months they’ll likely be feisty and cheeky.
  11. patsylabrador

France stuff + questions

So when do you say Bonsoir? We had a night over last night and were merrily walking around saying Bonsoir but we were aware that people were saying Bonjour back. In Japan you say Konbanwa when the sun sets. Is it the same in France? It wasn't quite dark when we were out strolling about. I walked past a couple and the bloke was saying "sais, je sais....." I have wondered if he was saying "Mais je sais" and I misheard but I thought I'd ask the question. What does that mean? I thought it might be a colloquialism I could use. We love the farm produce vending machines in France. We totally love the crazy vending machines everywhere in Japan and it was really exciting to see them in France. We bought some cheese which I think is a kind of brie, am I right? We saw the moules farms off the beaches and bought frites and watched a fishing boat being unloaded in Boulogne by some rough coves I didn't dare photograph.
  12. Cat tails

Handling ex battery hens

It depends on what you want to get out of handling them. Don’t expect them to come and cuddle up to you on day three. They have never been handled before by humans. Just get them comfortable around you. Spend some time with them talking and sitting Oh and treats do work magic! The odd dried mealworm or few sunflower seeds will often entice them to get closer.
  13. Hi all, I've adopted 2 ex battery hens from bhwt earlier this week. I'm on day 3 now and they've settled in really well, even had my first egg on day 2, none today though. Only thing is they won't let me handle them, the last time I picked them up was to transfer them from box to coop. They're happy and getting less nervy of me. But I'd like to be able to handle them if possible. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about getting them used to being handled? If possible at all. Many thanks in advance. Any tips are welcome, these are my first hens.
  14. The Dogmother

The Weather Thread #9

The lovely heat from the weekend has passed now and we're back to more seasonal weather. Rain here today and a brisk breeze. Mind you, we needed the rain
  15. soapdragon

Updates from Devon

Is that the sink that came from Acorn near Little Milton after the the Newington Nurseries meet, DM? If so glad to hear that it's still in use! I think you are very brave to tackle a patio - you do realise that you can't post that without the promise of pictures, in due course Valkyrie - it sounds as though you are getting a super workout! I had to smile over the yellow rattle...in the greenhouse! Mother Nature's little joke!
  16. AndyRoo

Soundproofing a room?

I think I'm going to put a rug in there with a soundproofing sheet under it, and a big fern in a pot. We'll have blinds in there eventually. I could probably hang a picture on a wall somewhere too.
  17. The Dogmother

Updates from Devon

Nothing on your scale Val, but I have been reinstating the patio after the works - the random paving looks wonderful and I am re-doing the herb (Belfast) sink amongst other things. Tomatoes are in and look healthy. I will be planting some miniature thyme, mint and chamomile between the stones for scent.
  18. Last week
  19. Lewis

Dog insurance v savings account

I don't know too much about insurance to be honest as most of my seeing practice has been in charity hospitals and abroad. Some insurance companies offer clients a months free insurance with first puppy vaccinations etc so that may be the confusion.
  20. Cat tails

Easter swap 2019

Lovely work ladies! Such pretty projects! (And jummy chocolate...)
  21. Patricia W

Soundproofing a room?

You need something to absorb the echo. Lots of fluffy towels? Bath Mat? Curtains?
  22. Patricia W

Dog insurance v savings account

I’ve just taken out Dogs Trust Membership to get it. £12.50 per year for senior citizens. Lewis, I think it was one of the staff at the vets before it was bought who mentioned a link between Petplan and Medivet? Maybe it was just the insurer they use most?
  23. AndyRoo

Soundproofing a room?

It's already been tiled. It's just very echoey. I've told the partner I think they're just going to have to tear the whole thing down and rebuild it with brick or something.
  24. Valkyrie

Updates from Devon

Oh dear Soapy! Got to hand it to them - they can get people daft enough willing to pay for doing their work! I don't think dinner and wine is enough for a day's work! Sounds like they've found another project then. LOL! Veg envy! Well we have diddy tomatoes already! The biggest is slightly bigger than a marble! Sounds like DM and M&M had a great day with the chicklets! Strawberries will have to wait - we've already run out of compost! Again! I've even run out of seed and potting compost so stuck! But did manage to finish popping in the second early spuds and some early maincrops. Another 2 rows needed for the Violettas but only 25 maincrops left. Instead I carried on clearing stinging nettles under the walnut tree. We now have a path through and the chooks have been enjoying the ground clearing. OH is really suffering with his shoulders and I lost count of how many barrowloads I shifted yesterday. Luckily it wasn't as hot and the breeze helped. I have caught the sun, but only slightly - I think I'm so weathered that I'm already conditioned to it. I had been using a small spade, but OH brought out a shovel - it was my dad's! I really zipped along after that! I'm definitely getting an upper body workout! And I feel fine! Even my back hasn't complained once! We had two spits of rain and it's been nowhere near as bad as they anticipated. Definitely feels cooler. At least we can sleep more comfy tonight! And after all the money spent on the yellow rattle in the field (and none showing as far as we can see) I have found one! In the greenhouse alongside my carrots! I can only think a seed got stuck to my boots and fell off in the greenhouse. When I've swept compost along for the seed bed it must have been brought to the surface and germinated! Perhaps the field seedlings will emerge later once they've had the warm weather on them. Dudley the hayfever pheasant is doing well and it sounds like he is less sneezy today. Poor little snufflebutt! He's been running around across the patio stones - bonkers! He also has 4 ladies to keep him company!
  25. Valkyrie

Easter swap 2019

So cute!😍 Yum peanut brittle!
  26. Luvachicken

Easter swap 2019

This is my lovely bunny bag and the peanut brittle. I will use my bag at school, the children will really like it. Thanks again to my swap maker 😊
  27. Patricia W

Easter swap 2019

Yes. Thank you, Luvachicken
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?