All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Luvachicken

Dirty knickers and softies

Oh yes, had that before......stinky stuff. Earlier I just went to get my pot of Avipro Avian only to find the pot totally empty, and, if there had been anything left, it ran out in 2016. Thank goodness hubby has Amazon Prime. If the Avipro doesn't work I'll get Beryl's formula. I know it's been hot today but she has had her beak open a lot. I really hope there isn't anything wrong.
  3. soapdragon

Gardening thread

I've never had any success with sweet peas......even though I choose seeds that are supposed to be excellent croppers they are always sp*****. I've changed compost, position, pots, support and nothing seems to work. I am very good with weeds though.................................... Ha, just re read my post and is has blanked out such an innocent word! Perhaps I should have typed spbottom
  4. I did too until it almost decapitated one of them when it stopped opening properly!! Shame as it was really good and they got used to it quickly
  5. Hi there, Just a little confused about Invermectin. Does it treat for worms as well as creepy crawlies??
  6. Cat tails

What have you all been making...part two...

Once you have done a few patterns, it comes much easier. They roughly all follow the same principle. Crocheting without a pattern saves A LOT of counting!
  7. mullethunter

Maybe try beryls bacteria
  8. mullethunter

Gardening thread

I had one lot where the leaves went all curled and dry - really odd - I wondered if the compost I grew them in had weed killer in which was apparently a thing this year. In the last I’ve had short stems on them like you Luvachicken - no idea why - but this year the ones that have made it past the sparrow assault are finally producing a reasonable number of flowers and have long stems🤷‍♀️
  9. Cat tails

Gardening thread

They are tomato sticks! But I use them for all sorts. i just planted mine in April I think. And then planted them out in new compost. Pricked out the tops when Monty told me too! 😉
  10. Luvachicken

I can just about follow a pattern, let alone crochet without one. Well done Cat tails
  11. Luvachicken

Gardening thread

That's the reason I grow them. I did almost give up on my sweet peas this year and nearly pulled them all up. I planted the seeds in October and planted the plants out into big pots half filled with new compost and half with manure in April. They did quite well and I was expecting to pick the flowers in May. Sadly, the poor plants were very deformed, lots of long stems with dry flower buds and leaves coming out in the wrong places. Any that did flower had their petals and stamens back to front. Apparently too much good stuff can stunt their growth. I think they have now used up all the manure and have finally started to perform properly. I won't be growing them like that again. They can have seaweed and be done with. I love those metal spirals you have Cat tails 😊
  12. Luvachicken

Thanks Beantree, Do you think it could be the after effects of the antibiotics then even though she had them for the week of 25th June ? She must have done a super messy poop soon after I'd got in from work. I tried to use baby wipes but they were useless, so in the bath she went. She seemed to quite like it and she didn't actually take that long to dry with the cool hairdryer.
  13. Cat tails

Gardening thread

Mine are too long and went all floppy all over the place. It’s my first time growing sweet peas and I forgot the amazing smell!
  14. poppy ben grace

Introducing new silkies to pekins

You could try removing the worst bully then re introduce her in a week or so . She won’t be top girl then .
  15. Cat tails

It’s easy enough! YouTube had loads how-to videos and Ravelry has many (free) patterns!
  16. The stand is just two separate bars. So it’s not a metal table without a table top. Most on here have their classic on a plastic garden table to get it off from the ground. Think the Go Up stand would be an expensive solution and the wood would get wet and a place for mites to live in.
  17. Is it possible to sit an eglu classic on a Go Up stand? I want to get mine off the floor in a WIR and I am wondering if I can put a piece of wood across the stand and just sit the eglu on top - will this work? Thanks
  18. Patricia W

That is brilliant! I must learn to crochet. When the weather gets cooler!
  19. Cat tails

Have made this little ragdoll cat. There was a pattern, but didn’t want to spend €5 on it... figured I could do it from the picture and pretty pleased with the result!
  20. Beantree

The Weather Thread #9

Goodness it's hot already; 31C inside the garage. Forecast says 38C today and a blistering 43C tomorrow, which I hope is wrong. So we are set for another 4 day heatwave with a third predicted in mid-August. We might get some rain on Saturday, when it gets cooler, which we really need now as almost all the grass is burned, something we haven't seen here before. So 7000 litres of tap water now used and we will be watering the chicken enclosure for the next few days which means a rather large bill due in October!
  21. None of these were handled as tiny chicks so are still a bit skittish but they’ve definitely got fab little personalities. They are all taming slowly though and the bantams will happily run to me now(who knew chickens running would be so funny 😂) and take food from my hands. We’ve had eggs from Indie the brown bantam, so tiny and cute!!! They still won’t accept them, they can be out in the garden together but different ends or the porcelain bantam will chase and peck the silkies ☹️ I’ve had to separate the run off and get another coop because they were attacked like mad when I tried them all in the same coop. Hopefully they’ll integrate, if not I’m happy with the set up
  22. Beantree

Problem with antibiotics is the wreck the digestive flora, so whilst she appears to be eating she won't be digesting much and her poo will be sloppy. I'd give her a dose of Avipro Avian Luvachicken. Takes a week before you will notice any change, but it's something we use quite a lot.
  23. Last week
  24. Luvachicken

So Lily was poorly recently and the vet gave her Baytril which seemed to do the trick for a chest infection. She still doesn't seem quite right but I can't put my finger on it. I'm pretty certain she has been laying softies for a while but she now has dirty bottom feathers - not the worst amount ever, but dirty even so. What is the best way to help her ? She is eating and drinking and they are due for a worming soon.
  25. Valkyrie

Gardening thread

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Might be weather or it might be in it's genes. There are varieties that are marked as "long stems" for cutting.
  26. Luvachicken

Gardening thread

Anyone any idea how to keep sweet pea flowers make long stems ? Mine started off with stems over 30cm long. I pick them often, water them and give them seaweed food every now and then, but each time the stems get shorter and shorter. Sometimes they are too short to bother with. This happens most years. What am I doing wrong ?
  1. Load more activity
  • Newsletter

Want to keep up to date with all our latest news and information?