Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Budgies's Achievements

All Knowing Superchicken

All Knowing Superchicken (4/19)



  1. Thanks for asking Egghead68. She's okay! She's laid 3 eggs since implanting (which I've had to throw away of course) but now seems to be stopping - her comb is certainly paler. We removed her stitch 10 days after she had the implant and that came out okay. I'm hoping that if she was in fact laying into the abdomen, we've caught it early enough. So hopefully a happy ending!
  2. Thank you, mcfee2, that's very kind of you. None are as close as the place we went yesterday, and that was half an hour's drive. I'm up on the NW coast. I wouldn't mind so much but my wee girl doesn't travel well and once had to be admitted at death's door to a vet (and stay for 3 days) after a 20 minute journey as the stress had got to her so much. The vet admitted she was no expert and basically it all ended up being down to me to make a decision, because she could neither confirm nor deny whether my chook was having yolks go into the abdomen. Having lost a chook before to egg peritonitis, I decided that the biggest probable downside of going ahead with the implant unless anything went wrong was that she would stop laying and we'd miss out on our eggs - that's four chickens and no layers now! However, if we didn't go ahead, possible egg peritonitis. So we went ahead and she's been implanted. Fingers crossed!
  3. Oh dear! Well, the receptionist, having established that my girl went in to lay but produced nothing then said "and is it a girl or a boy?" I waited for the penny to drop, but it never did, guess she was having a distracted day! I'm really hoping the vet will have the knowledge to help me establish whether the chook IS laying internally which is my suspicion, but I'm not holding my breath! Thanks again for your assistance.
  4. Thanks for your help Egghead68, yes, sadly both Cambridge and Attleborough are a long way from me. I've finally found someone nearer who has done Suprelorin implanting in chickens before and have an appointment on Monday. If they are good I'll recommend them on here.
  5. I have a chicken with suspected egg peritonitis and need a vet who can diagnose and implant her if that's necessary. Can anyone recommend a vet in North West Norfolk? Not having much luck so far. Thank you!
  6. Thank you both so much for your kind responses, they were very much appreciated. It seems (from having spoken to quite a few vets!) that egg peritonitis could potentially be the most likely cause of the problems we're seeing. I've found someone who is going to scan her abdomen tomorrow to see whether that is what's happening. The most likely explanation for the occasional wheeze seems to be that most chickens carry mycoplasmal infection and it can flare when the hen is under stress. Will know more after tomorrow hopefully.
  7. I'm hoping for some advice, if anyone can help please. I have a 3.5 year old Light Sussex called Parsnip, who recently showed some signs of struggling to walk. Took her to the vet immediately and the vet checked her for parasites, bumblefoot, scaly leg mite etc. Parsnip had recently been wormed with the Flubenvet which kills off most worms and was deemed by the vet to be in very good condition. Some blood tests revealed that her calcium levels were a bit low, and that she had very early signs of kidney and liver disease. The main nerve to the legs passes through the kidneys so the vet felt that inflammation could easily cause the lameness we'd witnessed. Vet could not hear any signs of respiratory abnormalities, although when the chicken arrived, the vet noted that her nostrils looked to be dilating, which soon stopped. So we currently have her on a lower protein diet, a diuretic and Metacam for the pain as well as including celery in her diet for its uric acid busting properties. She seemed to be responding well and has a good quality of life but when the vet advised reducing the Metacam dose (we found out on a subsequent visit that the dose she suggested was simply too low to benefit the chook and the vet then telephoned the manufacturer and got information directly from them about dose size, efficacy and longevity), Parsnip was right back to square one. I'm a bit concerned that we might be missing something. My boyfriend, who has much better hearing than me, has noticed Parsnip's breath whistling on occasions and thinks that it's been going on for a few weeks, possibly months. He says it's not every breath, but occasional. I'm wondering if she could have had a respiratory problem which has then gone to her kidneys. We haven't noticed it in any of the other chooks (she lives with 3 pals). My vet has moved practices now and I'm looking for a current recommendation in Kent. I used Kate Everett at Sandhole, Snodland, but both she and Isabel and the subsequent lady, Monica, have all left. Any ideas about (a) whether I should be doing anything different - perhaps exploring the possibility that a respiratory problem has gone into her kidneys (and if so, how would I do that and is there any treatment for something like that?) and (b) any good vets especially in the North Kent area (bearing in mind the list on here recommends Sandhole who currently don't have a chicken vet)? Apologies for the long post and thank you to anyone who has the patience to read it and the kindness to make any recommendations!
  8. Thanks for the reply, Redwing. I did lose a previous chook to internal laying but she was very advanced and the eggs that had gone astray had become infected. The vet couldn't spay her as a result and although she was implanted to stop her laying more eggs, she was so unwell her breathing had become compromised so we had her pts. She too used to think she'd laid an egg (I guess they still have hormones rampant) but there were no eggs to collect. Pumpkin isn't laying softies - I'm with her too much of the time for that to be going on and me to be unaware. I guess I'll just keep a close eye on her for now.
  9. Can anyone tell me what symptoms a chicken who has started to lay internally might be? One of my girls hasn't laid an egg since 1st August. She's a pure breed Welsummer and is about 2 years and three months old She lays an egg on two consecutive days generally, with a break of around 2-3 days between each lay, which is usual for the breed. I've also heard that they tend to lay for the first three years or so, then stop, although they have a good life expectancy (up to 9 years). I've twice now spotted her getting agitated as though an egg was imminent, go into the nesting box and then come out again and nothing more happened. On the first of those occasions, she egg-announced and there was no egg, but the second time she didn't get that far along the process and her comb paled and she gave up on the idea. She doesn't feel hotter or more swollen about the abdomen than the other girls, and I don't think she's moulting. Any ideas?
  10. So glad you were able to get your girl to the vet. Good luck, hope the medication sorts things out for them.
  11. Ha, that's a new one on me Eglutyne!! Made me giggle anyway! Unfortunately she's on strict non-sugary rations - I'm not allowed to give her a grape even because her infection is in her digestive tract. But it's a great suggestion and I will certainly bear it in mind for the future - the lengths we'll go to for our little hens eh?!
  12. Yes, possibly that. She did go to her food immediately after I'd dosed her and I saw her eating, but it is exceedingly bitter from the tiny amount I got on me so I doubt her pellets would take away the taste much!
  13. That's interesting! Thanks for the reassurance - I know that there are very few products which ARE licensed for chookies - many people on this forum mention Baytril and I don't believe that's licensed for birds (or at least, it wasn't last time I logged on here!). Bearing in mind I try to feed the girls organic food and I grow my own veggies organically too then inadvertantly taking antibiotics on board isn't something I particularly want to do, so I have been ditching her eggs, I'm just surprised the vet said it was safe to eat them. I keep forgetting to say, about 2 hours after her dose this morning she was flicking her head a lot whilst sitting hunched and blinking a lot. I can see the mopey behaviour being stress related but it was the head flicking that bothered me most. Any ideas?
  14. Thanks so much for your response, Rachel. I wasn't aware Tiamvet wasn't licensed for birds - my vet told me I was safe to eat the eggs (although I thought I'd pass on that!!) My vet is particularly reluctant to change as apparently this antibiotic is known to be effective at treating secondary infection, which bearing in mind how long she's been ill and that the swelling is compromising her respiratory system, is probably sensible. I'm a bit of a worrier and like to be sure I'm not dropping any balls with these situations! Thanks for the putting it in food tip. The vet did suggest it. Unfortunately, we've tried lots of her favourite treats and snacks but the moment the meds are in there (and to be fair, they stink and are very bitter - I inadvertantly got a little spot on my lip when she shook her head! ) she shuns the food, so this is the best way, despite the stress. She's definitely finding it less scary being medicated than she was initially. Many thanks for the advice, I guess it's just time to sit back and let her do what she can. Fingers crossed!
  15. Anyone heard of Tiamvet? It's an antibiotic. I have a hen with an infection in her digestive tract which despite 9 days on this medication has now spread to her oviduct. She was taken in at the vets on Saturday morning breathing like Darth Vader - turned out the inflammation had vastly reduced the room in which her air sacs could inflate, though luckily an xray revealed no secondary infection, myco etc. We fully expected to have to have her put to sleep yesterday morning but instead the vet said her breathing was a little better and we could bring her home for a "do or die" attempt. Problem is that she's very easily stressed and I think we might be confusing that with an adverse reaction to the meds. I asked the vet to change to a different antibiotic but she felt it was more risky than carrying on with something that has had a cumulative effect. After administering it (few drops at a time in the side of her beak and she does swallow it - it just takes 15 minutes to administer 0.7mls - when we tried syringing it all in she panicked and even the vet couldn't get it in without a crop tube) she definitely seems to go downhill and feels very sorry for herself, tail down, eyes shutting etc. Most of the rest of the time her behaviour is entirely normal, eating, scratching, dust bathing and preening, even fly chasing! Does anyone know if it is possible she's allergic or intolerant to the med?

  • Create New...