Olly

If I didn't have chickens ...

Just musing today. If I didn't have chickens, I would not have:

- seen the snowdrops and violets blooming in my garden (hidden up the end, out of sight from the house)

- spent nearly three hours out of doors in the fresh air today

- changed completely to organic gardening, no chemicals

- been able to dig out two Tubtrugs full of lovely compost for my veg patch!

- had new-laid eggs for breakfast :)

I also wouldn't have a steam cleaner, mooncup, Tubtrugs, Crocs or Link-a-Bord, but that's another story!

What are you doing now, that you didn't do before you had chickens?

good one, hmmmmmmmmm...

we wouldn't have;

- the best eggs we've ever tasted

- disovered parts of Cheshire we've never explored thanks to trying to find the local agricultural feed store

- become more aware and care more about the welfare of the commercial broiler/laying hen

- educated a few other people about the plight of battery hens or even that battery hens existed!

- more birds in the garden thanks to the girls frightening away the local feline population

- nearly so much fun watching their antics

- made so many people smile with the gift of a few home grown eggs

First of all - i wouldnt have met all you lot on here!! :lol:

I also wouldnt have crocs, chickenalia, a slow cooker, yankee candles, garden clogs, I could go on and on!

I also wouldnt have been in the garden all day today, sweeping hemcore (its becoming a major obsession :oops: ) dirty finger nails, covered in chicken poo in odd clothes looking a right state! :lol:

I wouldn't have driven best part of 600 miles yesterday to collect another cube.

I wouldn't be getting up at 6 am on a Saturday and Sunday morning.

However,

I'd have missed out on the fun they give me.

I wouldn't have tasted truly gorgeous eggs.

Etc. etc.

The bad parts are far outweighed by the good points.

"Met" all you lovely poeple

seen the smiles on friends faces when I turn up with a box of eggs in my hand

Become as green as I have

I already had tubtrugs, crocs etc - I'm a bit of a shopoholic

If I didn't have chickens I wouldn't have:

A messy lawn,

The best eggs ever,

Grown many vegetables,

Met all you lovely people,

More birds in the garden due to the cats disappearing,

Anyone to come home tp after a long day at school when my parents are still at work,

Chickenalia,

Started up my own website,

AND LOTS OF OTHER THINGS.

I wouldnt' have the joy of hearing my 6 year old cry "I found some eggs!" every morning.

wouldn't have chickens to watch and make me smile when I'm having one of my days where I have to sit on the sofa all day (M.E)

I wouldnt' be waiting to find out if we've been accepted to become puppy walkers for the guide dogs for the blind association.

I wouldn't have bought a mooncup

I wouldn't have found somewhere for help, advice and hilarity (the forum) With very limited energy and two children, It's quite hard to have much of a normal social life - so thanks guys! :D

And just about everything else I've seen listed above

If I didnt have chickens. . .

. . .I wouldnt have to check the bottom of my work shoes for dried-on crusty poos when I clock-on for my shift :shock::evil:

(NOT that I have ever had to do a swift,surreptitious, kick of the offending item, under the X-ray table, as I bring a patient into the room, you understand! :oops::roll:THAT would NEVER happen! :oops::oops::oops: )

(radiologist walks into empty room later - sees me on my knees with a flashlight searching under table "did you lose your marker?" "err, yes, my marker!" (fishes in scrub pocket for marker) "oh good, here it is!" :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: )

If I didnt have chickens. . .

. . .I wouldnt have to check the bottom of my work shoes for dried-on crusty poos when I clock-on for my shift :shock::evil:

(NOT that I have ever had to do a swift,surreptitious, kick of the offending item, under the X-ray table, as I bring a patient into the room, you understand! :oops::roll:THAT would NEVER happen! :oops::oops::oops: )

(radiologist walks into empty room later - sees me on my knees with a flashlight searching under table "did you lose your marker?" "err, yes, my marker!" (fishes in scrub pocket for marker) "oh good, here it is!" :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops: )

:lol::lol::lol:

I wouldnt be so into my gardening.

growing my veggies.

getting so into animal welfare.

Boycotting the supermarket.

Not using carrier bags.

Baking endless cakes.

Eating egg sandwiches.

Finding lots of things to do with eggs.

Cooking extra pasta, spaghetti and rice.

Saving up chicken poop for my plants.

Shout 'chickeeeeen' every time I see one.

Buy anything with a chicken on it.

Spend far too long on this forum talking to other like minded chicken obsessed folk. :wink:

All in all a good lifestyle choice me thinks!! :lol:

I'd forgotten about shouting 'CHICKEN!' every time I see one. :wink:

I just thought it would be interesting to see if other people also feel the benefit. It was the snowdrops that did it for me - there is no way I would have been up that end of the garden in January if it weren't for the hens - and I'd have missed them entirely.

I would not be as happy as I am now, I am sure I have had less SAD syptoms this winter because I am constantly popping outdoors to check on the girls.

I would have a much tidier, cleaner house and a much smaller ironing pile because I would not be on here each day, but I would have been much more lonely and unhappy.

Being on here has got me doing a lot of things that I had forgotten how much I enjoyed ie.cooking gardening etc. :D