Happymama

Right Girls - Hair washing and not doing it with shampoo

I'm keen to give this a try. Like I said before, my 11-year-old has never washed her hair with shampoo and it is beautiful, thick, shiny hair.

The only thing is I use a bit of hairspray to keep my fringe in place :oops: and wonder if rinsing in water will get rid of that. Any advice welcome.

Nicola, it's worth sticking at it if you've come this far. Let us know how it goes and I might be next!! :?

I mystery shopped one the other month who told me she wouldn't be able to cut it nicely or neatly unless it was shampood - WHAT RUBBISH! I know loads of hairdressers who don't 'wash' their hair! And my regular hairdresser is quite happy not to use shampoo!

[/color]

Ooooo - are you a mystery shopper?

I would LOVE to do that :P

Sorry to go off topic :?

Yes, I am. Google Mystery Shopping and you can be one too! :D

My, what a lot of interest.

I think anyone can do this, any type of hair, just think, you've, one would have to suppose, been given just the right scalp to manage your hair.

I had half a head of hi-lights done two weeks ago. They were put in, and shampood out - you have to, it's bleach! - and I've not shampood since, just rinsed my hair after excercise class last monday, and will be doing it again tonight after Step tonight. Iron it tomorrow and that's it for a week. It gets hi-lighted around every 9 months, and cut maybe twice inbetween. Sometimes it's shampood, sometimes it's not, but it always just seems to settle down straight away, none of the heavy greasiness of the first 8 weeks.

That's right, AnnieP, you can rinse your hair as many times as you like, it's the shampoo you're dropping, not the cleanliness. My hair, even when at it's worst, about 6 weeks in at the beginning - still squeaked when wet!

Ginette, it's the perfect thing for your hair! Give your scalp the chance to manage your hair - it's got to be better at it than you are!

Nicola, you can wash your hair, no-one said you can't. Just use water with a bit of vinegar, any vinegar will do, about 250 ml in a litre jug of warm water. Massage this into your hair esp. the scalp/roots and you can do this every day if you like, twice a day if you don't dry it artificially! The vinegar will cut some of the oiliness, it really works!

Linda - I use styling products, like Elnette and the odd bit of serum, and a root lift spiky sets hard cream too, and my hair seems to just shrug it off!

You can expect the character of your hair to change, mind, girls. I like my hair better now than I did before, it's better behaved, and is lush.

I think you should all set a date.

PS I went real ale pubbing on Saturday night, and the last pub was very smoky, and my clothes stunk of it when I got back. Sunday morning my hair was fresh as a daisy!

PPS your scalp will probably produce more sebum in the winter than the summer, as the cold dry days will irritate and dry your hair. It's clever!

So...... after around 3 months, even short fine hair sin't going to look as if you've dunked your head in a deep fat fryer? :?

...and do you not dry it with a hairdrier?. I use a bit of volumising mousse and dry with a hairdrier for some lift in it.

I am tempted but I wonder if I will have problems at work if I try to get through the showers just rinsing my hair :?

Mine has always been problematic as it is just a ball of frizz and nothing works - ever :roll: I like it when it curls naturallly but the least bit of moisture and it is back to frizz maybe it is worth a try 8)

Thanks for that Happymama I am going to rinse mine with the vinigar and warm water today..............But i won't use shampoo and conditioner, and will report back.

My reason for stopping using shampoo is that my scalp has suddenly become very dry and sore even to the point of bleeding i think this is down to all the shampoo I have been using and i might be having an allergic reaction to some of the ingredients so i am going to stop using it and see if my scalp improves........Wish me luck it is day 5 and counting............ :lol::lol:

Ooh I feel bad now, having just washed my hair! :oops::cry: Well done Nicola! I'd be interested to hear if the water and vinegar is enough to stop the itching! Maybe that is the last time I use shampoo? I'm still summoning up the courage to do it! Keep telling me how good it is, please, and I might not do it again! :D

I have just rinsed my hair with water and vinigar the bathroom smells like the chippy...........Only joking my hair seems fine i am letting it dry naturally, my scalp doesn't feel itchy like it does after using shampoo.....................Will keep you all updated.

I really want to do this but am terrified and OH isn't exactly impressed with the idea!! I really like my hair but because it gets so greasy, I have to wash it every morning and dry it before work otherwise it just clings to my head and it aslo costs me a fortune in shampoo as I only use Aveda. I've been reading that bicarb can help cut the greasiness too... Do you think this would sort my hair out and stop the grease over time?

My hair has dried and it looks fine, as if I have used shampoo but without the frizzy bits which I usually get.............I am going to stick with it my scalp feels much better so ever 4 days or so I will rinse my hair with vinegar and warm water, my hair doesn't look greasy at all.............Go for it kate.

I've got 3 weeks until my 30th birthday bash - will this be enough time for it not to look a mess? Mind you - I'm getting me highlights done that day so that will probably set me back a bit.

I'm definatly going to give it a go - just not sure when yet :?

My hair has dried and it looks fine, as if I have used shampoo but without the frizzy bits which I usually get.............I am going to stick with it my scalp feels much better so ever 4 days or so I will rinse my hair with vinegar and warm water, my hair doesn't look greasy at all.............Go for it kate.

Wow, that is good news Nicola. :D I must start from today! On Friday I will try the vinegar and warm water. :?:) (Still nervous!)

How much vinegar? Does it depend how much hair you have or is it just for your scalp?

I have been reading this with considerable interest.

I run out of Pantene later on this week so will give it a go.

It strikes me that this is going to be a bit like growing your hair, you'll have that awful inbetweeny stage where you just want to revery but if you can stick it out you'll reap the rewards.

Well, that's my theory anyway! :wink:

I know someone at uni that started washing his face in just water and found his skin improved.

smelly that I am, I have rarely used anything on my face but water and have always had clear skin. In fact, the times that I have used soap etc, my skin has always come up. I don't have sensitive skin but apart from a once fortnightly peel off mask (Virgin Vie vitamin c - lovely!) don't feel i need to use soap. 8)