Happymama

Right Girls - Hair washing and not doing it with shampoo

it'll come!

the absolute best remedy is to avoid chemicals - and simply to comb regularly through with a proper decent nit comb...

been there - done that!!!

Phil

That plus my nitty gritty comb with the little grooves is working a treat.

The comb is so good it will even hoik out live lice from dry hair.

I will post a link if I can remember where I saved the details :roll:

what this then? a really effective nit comb? can it be true - and where can I get one! I was beside myself two years ago when Lauren came home complaining of an itchy head. when I looked she was crawling!! (bleuuurrggghhh!) Now I comb every week but always looking for something to make it easier with waist length fine hair!

as I mentioned ages ago in another thread, the missus does 99% of the nit-combing nowadays (I've retired from that job!)

she has used many different combs - including the nitty gritty comb (which we probably still have in the bathroom cupboard - and it was better than some of the others...)

but she absolutely swears by this set of combs (which is also cheaper than the nitty gritty)

design wise - they don't look anywhere near as good (in fact they look a bit cheap and naff) - but now she won't use anything else - and the kids don't scratch anymore... she thinks they are absolutely the best...

http://www.chc.org/products_kit.cfm

Phil

PS - anyone feeling itchy yet?? :wink:

OK, here is the hair stuff to get the critters out.

It used to be called Hair Wars,but has been renamed as a headlice product.

It is natural,& uses Tisserands fab essential oils.

It isn't cheap,but it is REALLY GOOD!!!

http://www.tisserandshop.com/product.php?productid=939&cat=0&page=1

The nitty gritty is by far the best comb I have ever used.It is easy to hold,which is a bonus when your fingers are covered in oil or conditioner,& has these reallt effective spirals on each prong which really seem to hoik everything out in one go,even on clean dry hair.

Again,it costs more than other combs,but my goodness it is effective!

It si also now available on one-off prescription - BARGAIN!

http://www.nittygritty.co.uk/ng/index.jsp?page=/productInfo.jsp&productId=3

OK, I'm going to hoik this back on topic :shock: I've not washed my hair since Monday, doesn't sound long I know, but it's pretty much a world record for me and just reading about headlice is making me feel itchy and uncomfortable........with dirty hair too it makes me want to grab my shampoo bottles and head for the shower :shock:

How are you getting on now Nicola, you're a few days ahead of me :?:

I didn't even dare mention it to my daughter. I'd love to use her as a guinea pig, lovely long glossy hair that can easily be piled up. But she's a little older than Rosie, and already a fashion victim, who insists on washing her hair daily, even though it really doesn't need it, and she ends up going to school with still damp hair most mornings :x She's horrified and stroppy when I suggest washing it less frequently..... and the amount of conditioner she uses :shock: , she'd be appalled if I suggested not washing altogether. But one of my motives in doing this is ultimately to tackle the problem of Imy and her excessive hair washing, as I can't work out how to control it :?:roll:

KateA - I can remember my mother struggling with me because I wanted to wash my hair more than once a week! :shock: My daughters also wash theirs far too frequently and I haven't really said much about it. (Just pleased they're interested in keeping clean really! :) ) The eldest (16) does hers every evening and the 13 yo seems to do hers every 36 hours. Some days she can't be bothered. I have talked about this subject and I think they will watch with interest.

Discovered last night that OH has started too! He is 'washing' his hair (only about 1 cm long!) every morning with just warm water. Seems to be doing all right too. :D

Could you water the shampoo and conditioner down :?:

It might be an idea Mel, I hadn't thought of it, but could be worth a try. That said she's quite particular about her shampoo- if I buy a cheaper brand she complains, suls, strops and uses mine :shock: If I end up only having vinegar that might help :wink: .

I told Rosie that washing it only with water would make it even more shiner, and promised that we could go back to shampoo if it didn't work. She's sold!

I had noticed some bits of flaky scalp on her recently - perhaps it's the shampoo. Any ideas what we should do onholiday, when she's going to be in the pool all day, every day? Would rinsing with water wash the chlorine out sufficiently? Answers on a stamp please.....

Ok - I'm on day 3 :shock:

REALLY wanted to wash my hair last night - so jumped in the shower with the vinegar!

Actually found I didn't need to put leave in conditioner on afterwards to brush my hair and it seemed OK once dried. However, this morning the roots do look greasy to me - so up it went in a clip. fingers crossed no-one else notices :!:

Must try and find some oatmeal, never bought it before so couldn't find it in usual shop last night....

Just hoping my will power won't let me down (it does on chocolate so often :roll: )

Keep going Jackie. 4 days isn't a long enough trial to draw any conclusions at all! We have to do 12 weeks :shock::shock:

I'm thinking not only of the benefits to my hair, but also to my purse! :D And to my suitcase when on holiday! :D

just reading about headlice is making me feel itchy and uncomfortable........with dirty hair too it makes me want to grab my shampoo bottles and head for the shower :shock:

Sorry Kate :?

It was making me itch just typing it :lol:

I really admire you all for doing this,& will look in regularly to see how you are getting on,but I won't mention the you-know-whats again.....promise :P

So,whos going to be brave enough to do a photographic diary,then?

I have gone 7 days without using shampoo and my hair is looking a bit ratty today and i keep itching after reading the lice postings, Emily came home with a letter from school saying they had an out break again so i am keeping a close eye on her, although she has gone away with school for 3 days so is bound to come back with them.....................I really am thinking about washing my hair today.............Think I will just rinse it again and see how it looks, "Ooops, word censored!"ody else has said anything or noticed it is just me that feels a little bit dirty not using shampoo............ :roll: