SarahJo

Should we have a gardening section ... in the gallery?.

Is an Allotment section in the gallery a good idea.  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is an Allotment section in the gallery a good idea.

• Yes ..... great one.
    • No .... go and have a glass of wine, Sarah.

Just occurred to me that .. not only do alot of us have chooks in common, we also like to do gardening and veggies. SO - would it be an idea to have a Gallery to display our crops and ideas/allotments of varying sizes, to help inspire. I am going to do courgettes up canes this year ... you can see if they work or not. Someone might grow cucumbers in a patio pot ... get the idea :idea::?: .

Anyway POLL here and lets see if James will do it, if enough in favour.

Not sure you can see mine though as I only started last year and a lot of mistakes were made, more or less starting form scratch this year. I'd post a picture of my apple tree though as it's been there since before the previous owners of this house and that's more than 25 years ago, it really is beautiful.

:P So far so good ... "Ooops, word censored!"ody has said NO. What I will do next ... on Monday will speak to James and see if he can add a section in the gallery, and also an "Allotment and Gardening" section in the main topics (like nesting box, chickens, eglu) then we will a definite place to chat and post pics.

:DGreat idea. I've picked up lots of tips already & , as you say, it seems to be another common theme here.

Apologies for letting the side down with no pics so far...only cos its way down the list of things I must do, incl. learning how to!...hopefully sometime in 2005. But love seeing all yours,

:shock: Have cut the front grass today .... then it started raining ... but will get some pics this week when the kids are out of the way :roll: .

I can also download pics myself now .. as we have a new camera and all you have to do is plug it into the PC ...... no more waiting for OH :wink: .

Mine garden is sim size to Kates ... but not as organised :!::wink:

LOVE the gardening gallery, and really like the idea of a gardening topic. I'm a bit embarrassed at the idea of photos though... Our garden is minute in comparison! In fact we've only just moved here 6 weeks ago and there's a lot to do to make it look presentable. I will try and summon up the courage to post some photos though. At the moment it is a chicken haven - well scratched and 'tweaked' (you know, the twitchy thing they do with their beaks). I had to laugh the other day when I got a leaflet through the door from a company asking me if I 'dreamed of an immaculately manicured lawn'! It went on to sternly tell me that raking my lawn did absolutely no good at all - what my lawn needed was proper scarification with the correct equipment. I couldn't be at all impressed by this information, given that Milly and Molly have just finished scarifying our lawn by dint of beak and claw, and not a shred of moss thatch remains! Ha ha!!! Not a lot of lawn remains either, but that's completely beside the point. I have however, made the momentous discovery that chickens don't like herbs. They peck everythng else, but leave my herbs well alone. Wish the same could be said for my bluebells (RIP)...

Thanks for the warning, Nicola. So far I;ve got coriander, thyme, basil, parsley, italian parley, mint and rosemary. Has anyone got any other suggestions for plants that chickens definitely don't like?

Well they like lavender :evil: I planted two in a corner of their run and they eat it, sit on top of it and excavate dust baths into the roots :evil:

Everything they've ever seen they've eaten so I don't know if there is anything they won't eat. :?

Anna you can post 'before' photos and then later the 'after' photos!

They ate my chives down to the roots. Now they've moved off the garden into the run, I've got clumps of chives sprining up all over the place and strawberry leaves!! They didn't eat any of my other herbs but they did excavate the pots! Needless to say, everything's suddenly doing really well now they're behind wire!!