Steph101

Chicken bullying

Hi Steph

Glad you managed to fit the bumpers ok. I may yet go down that route.

I really wish I had left my two on their own, they are being horrid so and so's but they did not ask for newbies to be put in with them - did they?

Anyway, Dippy spent the night in the rabbit hutch but stared calling for Tatti at some ungodly hour. So I got up and let the pair free range while I read my book - great actually coz I have been meaning to finish it :lol:

They are now all out free ranging in various parts of the garden. I have sprayed them all with a tea tree solution which should taste pretty nasty :wink:

I am hoping that once the new run arrives they will all have more space and be much happier.

Long may the calm last in your garden x

I have read this thread with horror :shock: I am hoping to add to my flock soon, and am dreading having a similiar situation.

I know this is a slightly off the wall idea, but I read a book on chickenkeeping a while ago which said that feeding comfrey to chickens sorts out bullying and bad behaviour problems :roll: I have no idea how it works, or if it works, but you sound pretty desperate and probably willing to try anything. You could probably pick up a couple of comfrey plants from a garden centre.

Tessa

Thanks for the tip Tessa. You're right, I AM willing to try anything!

I didn't tell you the whole story about the farmer, by the way...

He also added that he cuts his own chickens beaks off with a hot knife, and commented that at the first sign of the attack, I should have booted the offending chicken across the garden!!! :shock::shock::shock:

I think he only confided in me becuase I was so desperate, and begged me not to tell anyone.

Bet this sort of thing happens all the time; we haven't got a clue what goes on behind closed doors.

So comfrey plants it is....

Steph :)

Steph, you know what, I would be really tempted to report this farmer. He sounds like a very cruel man and shouldn't be allowed to keep chickens or any other animals. I know you are involved with your own chicken problems at the moment, but maybe when things have calmed down? Booting a chicken :evil: I hope the farmer doesn't have dogs :evil: I cannot abide cruely to animals or chickens :cry:

Tessa

Neither can I, Tessa, it's not acceptable at all. I got the impression he has operated in this same way for many years. I probably report him.

Sad thing is, I've got the feeling that he is just one of many.

This is the norm for people like him.

Would the animal welfare people turn up and think it was normal farming practice? Do they have to catch him in the act, even?

Are the farming/living conditions acceptable?

I don't know what is normal in the farming community.

I think it is naive of us to think that farmers give all their animals lots of TLC like you might see on a Jamie Oliver programme or Jimmy's Farm, cuddling them like you see RSPCA people.

I'll just tell them what I've seen, and what I've been told.

Then it's up to them. :(

but asked me not to tell anyone as the animal welfare people would be on to him.

This is not what any normal farmer would say.I get my eggs from couple of farms (until i get my Eglu next week!) and i can honestly say that theres are treated more than fairly.If this man had nothing to hide-then he wouldnt have said that to you.

What he is telling you to do is nothing less than animal abuse.Report him to RSPCA and let them deal with it.At the very least-they should be made aware of his farming techniques and they can keep a watch over him.Im saddened that people still think they can treat animals with no respect. :(

Not all places are the same - the poultry centre where I get my chooks really seem to care for them. They have nice clean indoor areas with proper littler on the floor to scratch in, clean food and water, perches and hanging greens. Any chooks that get bullied or pecked are attended to quickly and properly. They even talk nicely to the birds as they are putting them in the box for you to take home.......and they won't let you buy one bird on it's own.

Good on you for deciding to report him. Let us know if you get any feedback.

I've reported hIm to the RSPCA! :D

(I've isolated the the bully now to see how things go; it seems to have eased the tension for now.)

The RSPCA are promised to let me know the outcome of their investigation.

They confirmed that the things I described weren't standard practice.

The deed is done. Let's hope it makes a difference.

I'll let you all know if I hear anything else. :)

I've gotta add a (reasonably) positive note on this thread.

We just introduced a new little girl and I was really nervous about it as I've read so many horror stories on here.

I trawled loads of old threads about tips for introducing. The day before we went to get her I gave our girls a good old extra powder with red mite powder and a hefty squirt of a mix of water, vinegar and tea tree oil, then did the same to new girl when I picked her up to get them all smelling the same. I also popped the cover from our old girls snuggle safe into the box I picked the new girl up in to pick up some of their scent.

We started off by having the old girls in the run and the new girl free-ranging, there was abit of noise, but the old girls didn't seem too outraged, so I opened the run.

Well, there was a fair bit of BAAAWWWWWWWks from old gals, and newbie got the odd peck if she got too close, but she kept her distance and all seemed surprisingly calm.

The next test was having them all in the run together. This was abit rowdy, Hilda (old bossy boots) wasn't that impressed, and would chase the newbie, give her a peck if she got hold of her, but nothing serious, just enough to put the wind up new girl and keep her at the far end of the run.

There a quite a few bits in the run (perch, mirror, hanging treats, pecking bell, one of those little footballs that dispenses treats when rolled) and I DEF think distractions helped.

It's now been just over a week, there has only been one really spiteful peck from Hilda, drew a little bit of blood, so she has a bumper bit back on (she had one for a while as had been plucking Maude, but it came off after a few weeks and she never returned to the habit). The girls all seem pretty happy, no more noises, very occasional warning peck, but our new little one, Enid, is getting very close to being accepted, and I feel very luck and very thankful for all the good advice on here that helped me through this tricky few days!

Here is my beautiful new girl . . .

2363818418_429e2b61b7.jpg?v=0

One of the ways she discovered to avoid a vengeful Hilda, 'The shoulder leap' . . .

2366288007_9901f5c31a.jpg?v=0

And muggins giving the run a good sort out (I'm yet to find a more effective way as the rake handle isn't long enough with a run extention!!)

2373261397_783a5a3d45.jpg?v=0

:roll: Several questions here, don't want to completely go off the topic...

Firstly, when we bought Vivienne, she had half her top beak missing, and still does to this day. Will that be because someone clipped it off in a grotesque manner?! :cry: I always thought it was natural....? Like, it'd happened by accident or she had been born that way.

Maybe I was naive to think that way.

We've decided to isolate the bully, it's been a day so far.

How long before this will take effect?

Have decided to remove the bumper bits from the other three.

We've noticed eggs are getting smaller and there are less droppings in the tray. I know everyone says it's still possible to eat, but they are obviously not hetting as much.

The other two and the new girl are gettiing along great.

But it all changes when the bully comes back on the scene.

We need to break the cycle once and for all.

Peckiing spray has made no difference, nor tea tree oil.

Bumper bits aren't a deterrent either.

Steph. :cry:

Steph i'm so sorry to hear about your situation, i can't give advice i'm afraid as i'm a new chicken owner but i do know how much it can stress you out because Easter weekend i was sat on the sofa crying my eyes out, telling my other half i was gonna rehome our girls because I couldn't handle it anymore!!!

Basically after three days of living in new home bliss two of my girls Gwyn and Rose turned on Martha who is the smallest and most timid of my three ex batts, so i was advised to remove Martha for a few days, so into a converted rabbit hutch she went, but when we tried to let all three out together in the run they both attacked her. Then we were told to take the biggest bully out Gwyn, and put Martha back in the hutch with Rose, so we did that too but again as soon as i let all three out together it seemed to have made no difference, Rose and Gwyn still attacked Martha. It got o stupid, I haven't let the girls free range yet because of my terrier so i was going out hourly to swap them all over and allow them all time in the run and it just got stupid, then we discovered the rabbit hutch was leaking and Gwyn was all wet.....HENCE MASSIVE WEEPING SOBBING BREAKDOWN!!

My bloke got on the phone to the BHWT lady who we bought them from and she said to stick them all back together a seperation hadn't been working, do it at night so they all slept together and just let the fighting go on, it would work itself out. So we did, I must admit I couldn't look at first, Martha lost a fair few feathers and she has stopped laying BUT harmony is being restored. Rose and Gwyn give her the odd peck and I caught Rose at it this morning so just sprayed her with water, right p*ssed her off it did, but the feathers have stopped coming out and they all just get on with it now, Martha just runs away if they come near and 99.9% of the time they all just potter about in the run and hutch all day with no probs.

So although this isn't advice as such i hope it gives you some hope, trust me i didn't have any, i was at my wits end ready to rehome them but things really do get better, its just having the patience and strength to carry on thru the fighting :wall:

That's exactly how I've been feeling.

I've been in tears, getting nothing done round the house, unable to concentrate at work, my stomach churning, and waking up in the middle of the night with heart palpitations. All because of chickens! :shock:

I'm scared to watch them in the garden now, but I keep doing it all the same. I think I've studied their body language so much now, I could probably take a job as a chicken psychologist! :roll:

Your story gives me a little hope. That's what I'm looking for, really. Light at the end of the tunnel. Because at the moment, each day is agony.

I keep reading so many negative tales of people who have had to give away bullying, or even worse, cannibal chickens.

I feel so guilty and responsible. :cry::cry::cry:

But thank you for your kind words, it really is appreciated.

Steph.

I don't know if this helps - I have got a minor problem compared to some of the tales on here, but since I put my two separate 'flocks' from two Eglus together, the smallest chicken has been bullied - although no blood drawn.

It is horrible to watch, but I have noticed that if they don't see me, they tend to be pottering about - she gets the odd peck if she gets in the way, but mostly it's ok. As soon as I go up the garden, they all crowd towards the front of the run, because they're expecting treats. At that point, either because they are hoping to be first in the queue, or maybe because they are just showing off, poor old Siggy gets pounced on good and proper.

I've decided that by standing around the run to see what happens, I am actually making the situation worse. I don't know if this applies to your case, and of course you have to keep an eye on things, but I've decided to stay out of the way as much as possible while they sort themselves out.

That's exactly how I've been feeling.

I've been in tears, getting nothing done round the house, unable to concentrate at work, my stomach churning, and waking up in the middle of the night with heart palpitations. All because of chickens! :shock:

I'm scared to watch them in the garden now, but I keep doing it all the same. I think I've studied their body language so much now, I could probably take a job as a chicken psychologist! :roll:

Your story gives me a little hope. That's what I'm looking for, really. Light at the end of the tunnel. Because at the moment, each day is agony.

I keep reading so many negative tales of people who have had to give away bullying, or even worse, cannibal chickens.

I feel so guilty and responsible. :cry::cry::cry:

But thank you for your kind words, it really is appreciated.

Steph.

Thats okay hunny, i just want you to know your not the only one, and it still upsets me now if Martha gets a tiny peck, thats why i've got my water sprayer to hand now, but the relief when you find it is settling down, its massive!!! I owe mine to my other half who just put them all together then took me and wrapped me in a duvet and made me sit and watch two episodes of Torchwood to take my mind off it!! If your bloke is willing to help it does take the pressure off a bit too. But I was the same, my life revolved around the girls for two weeks and I couldn't stop worrying, I wish i'd known about this forum then but luckily I had Lisa fro BHWT on the end of the phone when i needed her and she helped a lot too. Just remember that whatever they are going through now its got to be better than living at that farm with that awful farmer (well done for reporting him btw), and just keep an eye on your bullied one and give her hugs and kisses xxx

I too have been having a terrible time with my hens this week. They arrived 3 weeks ago today after much anticipation and excitement but this week has definately made me wonder if chicken keeping was for us! One of my GNR has turned nasty on one of the PP which I think had been happening since day one but (being a novice) it took me until the PP had a gaping bleeding hole at the bottom of her tail to notice. On advice from Omlet we separated the injured one until some Stockholm Tar arrived and then realised the GNR had started on the other PP in the injured ones absence! So we put some ST on her too. For 24hrs calm resumed then yesterday afternoon the pecking started again! I have tried my best to give them things to do in the run, extra treats, mixed corn to scratch etc and have let them free range as much as possible. They seem to be fine when they are free ranging, but sadly due to a fox lurking in the field behind our house I can't give them the run of the garden all the time. I do wonder now whether I should just leave them to it and as long as they aren't drawing blood just see how it goes. Perhaps it is all part of the process of them getting used to each other in their new home. Like you guys I am getting nothing else done, my husband thinks I am nuts and with 3 children under 4 to look after as well it is impossible for me to constantly be out there watching the chickens!!

My husband has said that if the bullying hasn't settled by the weekend the GNR will have to go back to Omlet and I tend to agree with him. This was supposed to be a lovely hobby for the whole family and it is turning out to be a bit of a nightmare! :cry:

Good Luck to anyone who is having difficulty with this problem - it isn't nice and lets hope we all get it sorted soon! :pray:

Cat

Edited by Guest

Thanks Trixabelle. That means a lot. I know that if everything settles down, I will feel absolutely elated. My husband is really good; he's doing everything he can to try to get them to settle, but he thinks taht we should stick with seperating the bully for a few days at least. I'm just dreading the moment when we put them back together in case it all starts up again. I won't be able to watch. :(

Cat, that really is bad luck, as all your chickens came from Omlet.

At least you didn't bring this situation on yourself like I did. I had three happy chickens, then foolishly introduced a new girl thinking I could cope.

I can't really just let them get on with it unsupervised at the moment, as the bully (George) made Penny's comb bleed, and I was told that if they draw blood, they can be horribly attracted to this, and can turn really vicoius and cannibalise. The farmer told me (not a nice man, but I guess he is speaking from experience) that once they make a hole inside the chicken, they don't stop until they've got right inside her! Nightmare thought. :shock:

Steph101

Hi sorry to hear about the problem, I think you started this on the forum a little while ago and then mine started and we have been runing 2 seperate Topic's. I've just put on a new posting under 'Feather Plucking Update'.

It's awful I know but after conducting a lot of detective work, the only conclusion that I have come up with that will solve the problem is to get rid of the bird causing the disruption.

I know that this is heart breaking when the birds are part of the family and we all love them but I personally can not see another bird being eaten alive/slowly by another one in my back garden.

I think that your bird has gone the same way as mine and a few others and they are in the minority. But a trip to the vets can not be over looked. This would then bring peace to the coop and peace of mind to you that the rest can now enjoy life.

Has anyone tried using the anti-peck spary that Omlet sell.

One of my RIR is pecking at 2 of my Miss Pepperpots and they are starting to lose feathers.

Will ring Barbara on monday to find out and maybe buy some.

I've used that it does seem to help