I'm sure people are always keen to share their chooks and set up pics... Here's mine to start with, we got the cube not so long ago (had a eglu before that), and I'm really happy with the new setting... not only the chooks have a lot of room, but I find I get a better view of them too as they have so much space to roam around...

IMG_1855.jpg

I'm sure many more pics will come along soon from fellow omleteers and their setups... :)

2262141141_b3b18328d1.jpg

I'm wanting to put mine down on a permanent base now, like bark as I get terribly muddy shoes going to see the hens when it's wet.

I"ll get some log roll too to put around the edges, but still use aubiose in the run area.

Can you see how mnuch grass I have left where the chooks are? :wink:

They even stick their heads through the netting to eat our "lawn".

I let them free range all over usually now.

Chelsea, could I just ask, how did your big girls get on in the eglu's? I thought I'd read on here that it wasn't a good idea to put Cochins/Brahmas/Orps in an eglu, so I was just wondering? :?

I would love a couple of the big breeds, especially after going to DTBC at the weekend and seeing them all there, but I'm only getting an Eglu. :(

Or is that the reason you got your cube - i.e. - a tight squeeze??!!

Chelsea, could I just ask, how did your big girls get on in the eglu's? I thought I'd read on here that it wasn't a good idea to put Cochins/Brahmas/Orps in an eglu, so I was just wondering? :?

I would love a couple of the big breeds, especially after going to DTBC at the weekend and seeing them all there, but I'm only getting an Eglu. :(

Or is that the reason you got your cube - i.e. - a tight squeeze??!!

Well :D ....I LOVE my eglus (thats why I kept one - couldnt bear to part with it :wink: ). My cochins are a year old (they take 2 years to mature), they are big balls of fluff really and their fluff makes them appear bigger. I would have carried on with my eglus as they can still get in and out ok and I have kept the orange eglu as "holiday home" when they go to my sisters when we go on hols.

The only problem I feel personally is the eglu run, its not very high and cochins are quite tall, I think if you had 1 or 2 orpingtons or 1 or 2 cochins only in an eglu for roosting and had a bigger built run you would be fine or if you had the eglu run but your girls free ranged a lot. They laid in the eglu no problem at all. I've actually had all 4 chickens in one eglu before!!

The reason I had to get the cube was every night at roosting time the girls would go in the wrong eglus - I ended up with 3 in one and one chicken on their own and we got fed up with changing them over every night!! :lol:

Edited by Guest

I got my Eglu this morning from the nice Omelet man and i dont regret getting the orange one a single bit-i love it! :lol: I'll move it around the garden regulary so my lawn dont get stripped. :D

HPIM5618Custom.jpg

My Bullmastiff called Vegas has been fantastic around them. :D

HPIM5616Custom.jpg

HPIM5615Custom.jpg

Stevie, the eglu looks fantastic... I would never go for orange myself, but I must admit all pics of orange eglu or cube I've seen look just fantastic...

One thing though about the lawn... we moved our eglu regularly, but the chooks just got better at destroying the lawn... you have a fantastic looking lawn, would you consider putting them in a corner permanently? I don't know if all chooks are as good as mine at destroying lawn, maybe other people here could give some feedback, but in our case moving the eglu just wasn't enough, we now have them on a permanent woodchip base...

A few people have suggested giving them a permanent site because they'll trash the lawn,but i would like to give the rotation method a go first and also they will be freeroaming too which should help.My garden is pretty damn secure against Foxes so in theory i could allow them freerange 24/7,but i'll have to play it by ear. :D

Stevie. I rotate mine, but you have to be brave about losing your lawn I am afraid: They WILL destroy it! :roll: I will try and get out in a minute and take some pictures to show you what I mean. Hang on.......

I know my lawn will probably dissapear-isnt it great! :dance: I knew excally what i was undertaking when i got em' so we'll see how resilient it is. :lol:

As long as you don't mind: Mine started off in the back garden, but OH is VERY precious about our fantastic lawn, so they soon got moved to the corner of our yard. It suits us fine, as the donkeys love being around the chickens too, and our Airedale Terrorist took a liking to chicken poo when they were in the back garden anyway... :vom:

PMSL! :lol: That is well and truly trashed! :lol:

I'll give the rotation method a go first and try doing it daily to see how the lawn responds.If it dont work out then i'll pop the Eglu on right side of garden where i originally was gonna build myself a static coop & run before i discovered the joys of Eglu! :pray:

My run has got bigger today, with an convertor added on .

2387907114_dfe1fbf87a.jpg

I've moved the netting slightly since I took the photo to make the free range area a bit bigger, & hopefully to stop Buzz escaping :roll:

If I can keep them contained then they will have to get used to just living in the netted off area & not ruling the garden, especially since I'm due to get some newbies next month.

Here is ours

IMG017.jpg

The canes and string above the net are to stop Jane and Edna flying over the net after getting on top of the eglu.

For the four of them there s plenty of dirt for dust baths, shade under shrubs and lawn to catch the worms and grubs.

Even Marble our cat lies and watches their antics. :D

The only problem I feel personally is the eglu run, its not very high and cochins are quite tall, I think if you had 1 or 2 orpingtons or 1 or 2 cochins only in an eglu for roosting and had a bigger built run you would be fine or if you had the eglu run but your girls free ranged a lot. They laid in the eglu no problem at all. I've actually had all 4 chickens in one eglu before!!

Chelsea thanks for that, I'm really excited now as we are getting a walk-in run, (although not immediately I will have to wait for my bonus from work in June!).

I have changed my mind 58 times about what chickens I would like but keep going back to these bigger girls especially after seeing them at the weekend in DTBC. I only intend to get two or three to start with and then if I get more later I will buy another Eglu and have a set up a bit like your orginal one with two eglus in the run.

I am going to make the run as big as possible - reckon it will be 6' X 12' or even 9' X 12'.

Brilliant news I am a really happy chicken owner to be!! Cochins are so comical they way they run along you just can't help but love them!

:D:D:D