Lesley

Age!

I'm 46 and the stroppy teenagers/young adults in my family would like to remain anonymous. Webmaestro is a bit older.

I actually started keeping hens when I was 8. We'd moved into rural Warwickshire the previous year and I was given a broody, Penny, and a baker's dozen of hopefully fertile eggs as an Easter present. I looked after them all by myself and creosoted and assembled an old hen house I was given. I kept Penny in a wooden box with an upturned turf in the bottom, all kept in the greenhouse, while she sat and had the henhouse ready in time for the chicks - 9 of them I think. I carried on with hens until I left home when my Mum took them on - however a few weeks after I got married and we bought our first house I managed to bring a small henhouse and some of my hens from home, including a sitting broody. This lot were transported round the country as we moved house (there was the interesting incident with a bantam that escaped from the cardboard box while driving to Sheffield) until we had to move to a Victorian terrace with very small backyard in Newcastle. :cry:

However all was saved when those clever guys at omlet designed the eglu and the rest is history. :D

Anyway I reckon over 20 years experience and many hatchings of chicks means I really am a motherhen. (the avatar is 2 light sussex chicks I hatched in Sheffield)

Jane

Hi Jane.

What a lovely story and with your experience with chickens you truely are a motherhen.

The chicks in your avatar are so cute!

I've wanted chickens for years, I lived in Cambridge all my life until 3 years ago when I got married and moved to sunny suffolk. As you drive any where round here there are signs saying eggs for sale out side peolpes homes, it reminded me how much I wanted chooks so i did a search on "google", found omlet site then just had to keep showing hubby how fantastic it would be to have chooks in the garden.

Now all I have to do is wait for their arrivel. :roll:

Sammi-x-

Hello Lesley.

No not been put off, I love reading all your stories. The noise the chickens make was mentioned and that worried me abit, but apart from that i'm just very excited and can't wait for them to arrive.

I don't know the date of their arrival yet, end of november hopefully. And let me tell you november is going VERY slowly I can tell you! :roll:

Sammi-x-

I'm 39 (forty in February) and Simon is 43. The chickens have really brightened up both our lives and our garden and despite no eggs yet (three weeks and counting) we really wouldn't be without them now. They are certainly a lot less trouble than our other two girls, aged 7 and 13.

claudine and I are both 35.... no younger chicken handlers yet.. and my mum didn't even take up my offer of a stroke when she was here at the weekend!!

Haven't been on the forum for a few weeks. Have some good news though. Ginger has started laying in time for Christmas! you can see her inspecting her first egg in the gallery. Needless to say we are chuffed to bits. Just need Freddie to start although she looks a few weeks away.

merry christmas, and may you all enjoy fresh eggs for breakfast...

eric

Well done Ginger! Nothing nicer than the first egg, is there!

Glad to see we've had a posting from Louise - Welcome to the forum :D ! The Borders eh? Lovely part of the world - you are so lucky! Hope all is going well with your hens.

I'm going to watch the k"Ooops, word censored!"bly knees competition with interest although I think my knees are definitely not worth an outing in the gallery. They are not for the faint hearted :shock: !

You'd better get your winter woolies on ready for tomorrow then, Louise, because you'll not come in all day - you'll be too busy watching what your girls are up to! They are so funny to watch - you'll wonder what on earth you used to do before you took up chicken watching!

Good luck and don't forget to vaseline their combs while it's snowy out there (lucky thing - I'm not going to tell my boys you've got snow or they'll have me packing the car right now!!)

Glad the forum is proving useful - there is a wealth of information posted already but any questions that pop up when you do get your girls, don't hesitate to ask - someone will help - eventually!

Good luck and we're looking forward to seeing first egg photos in the gallery (if it ever reappears :roll: !)

Hi Louise

As well as the advice from Kate, I hope you can run well? If your Leghorns get out they could be down here in the Midlands in no time!

We have a Whitestar which is a Leghorn cross and looks similar to the Leghorn and she is turbo-charged! She also has a large comb which needs Vaseline in cold weather so have you checked out the topic on Vaselining combs?

There is a photo of Mrs.White in the Gallery, keep going through the pages until you see Eglu Towers, she is in that album. We will look forward to seeing your photos.

Lesley

I've just checked on www.meadowsweetpoultry.co.uk and Mrs.W. is a Leghorn, not a cross. Where we bought them they refer to them as little egg laying machines!

Eric

Pleased to hear that ginger has started laying - what a great Christmas present!

Lesley

Edited by Guest

Hi Louise

Congratulations.

Very impressed with first (I think) home hatched eglu hens. Did you use a broody or incubator. Do you have any photos - we love pics of chicks! :D

Actually you could (in all your spare time) take some pics of them now - any names by the way. 12 week hens are so cute to look at and so like teenagers in their behaviour. Just remember - they will settle down with age.

Have a good Christmas

Actually that goes for all of you - HAPPY CHRISTMAS - with everything I have to do it may be a few days before you hear from me again and can't promise I won't be in post-hard-work inebriated state - watch out for interesting spelling :lol::lol:

Stop it :twisted:

We had to take part in a Home Office survey on crime tonight and the first Q he asked me was my age! Well - he could have called two weeks ago couldn't he!! I did think about adding the numbers but didn't think he would believe me 8)

Lauren will be 7 tomorrow and my daughter 33 on Friday - now I do feel old :(

Lesley