Daniel

Have your neighbours complained about your chickens yet?

I'm in. My neighbours are so thick that they couldn't tell the difference between chickens and swans if their lives depended upon it.

I digress slightly, but here is an illustration:

Picture the scene: Christmas Eve, icy morning. I am cleaning upstairs windows in preparation for inspection visit by Mother in Law.

Pa from next door defrosts car with kettle, gets in and drives off. 5 minutes later he returns, cursing loudly. (I now have window open). I watch, flabberghasted as he removes cigarette lighter from his pocket and holds it to the PETROL CAP of his car.

"Idiot? (name changed to protect the innocent)" I call, "what exactly are you doing?"

(Strong Wiltshire accent) "ahhh, I got to the bloody petrol station but my petrol cap won't undo. Its frozen, see?"

"Yes, but Idiot, are you really going to hold a naked flame to an empty petrol tank full of fumes?"

"Ohhh, Bu**er me!" (butter)

:roll::roll:

OH has never forgiven me...... (we'd love to buy their side of the house, but as I pointed out, there probably wouldn't have been any house left)!

So, we are confident that we might win this little competition.!

Good luck everyone!

No comments as yet......our neighbours are actually quite understanding even though we have a covenant in our deeds which says we cannot keep chickens and we never asked them if it would be ok. Luckily they are very quiet chooks and only make a racket if theres a fox.......or sometimes squirrel.

Our neighbours are in the process of moving....finally sold their house after about a year of it being on the market :shock: ........we'll see what the new neighbours think when they arrive to find 6 chickens instead of the original 2 :lol:

We're lucky, so far we've had no negative comments from our neighbours, they like the eggs and tolerate the chickens. I hope it stays that way :D

I've had some very silly remarks from people at work.... but I make it very clear that I'm not impressed by ill-thought out, uneducated comments and that I'm very willing to explain or debate the issue sensibly, but won't tolerate media induced hysteria. It generally shuts them up :roll:

We actually have a covenant in our deeds saying that we are allowed chicken houses on our land. We actually laughed about that when we bought the place.... little did we know back then :wink:

The bunnyboiler next door hasn't said anything, but they've never got into her garden, but if she doesn't repair her fence it's only a matter of time - and their house is up for sale! I can't imagine the vitriol that will descent on us if our hens decide to decorate their York stone patio!

THe other side were mildly amused when - pre-clipping - they both hopped over the low bit and made for the veg patch. Now they're clipped, they can't get over. Besides, these people have three - or is it four? Started off with two, but a local flock have decided one by one to move in! - fan-tailed pigeons. Now joined by a roller-x and a full roller. Can't keep them in like we can keep our hens in, can they?

The littel boy next door told his grandma that bird flu was now in the Uk last week. His grandma looked blank, so he added indignantly, 'And we've got two chickens living next door!!!'.

He has been quite happy to eat the eggs and will, I'm told, go on doing so!

His mum has a very sensible head on her shoulders. her sisters flock (and ducks) are still wandering sround their farm quite happilly. So thats OK. We probably do have a covenant but didn;t pursue it as 'they are pets that lay eggs!'

No-one else has said a thing. Our other neighbour has said she likes the noises they make - soothing and familiar. Which is true.

Great news Helen :D

Re the pet hens situation - it would be obvious to anyone reading the forum that hens ( which usually cost £5-£10 to buy POL) that are taken to the vet, fed exhorbitantly expensive organic treats, have their own pharmacies/beauty products lurking in kitchen drawers, and are still kept after they have stopped laying, are pets through and through :D:D:D

Our neighbours on one side are great - they love the chickens and are always offering to chook sit if needs be. The people at the end have their own chooks (and a cockerell) so no problems there. The other people havent said anything, but if they do I will just report them to the council for taking down trees with tpos on them :twisted:

Why didn;t you report them anyway????? B****y cheek of them.

We're OK. Look at agility forum and security at shows thread for some news about our weekend..

Went to chiro again and ligament had stretched abit again (sacrum moved a bit) so am four days rest again. Incremental improvements but too slow for me really.

H

When the bird flu was first discovered in Turkey, a neighbour was quick to point it out. I just explained that my girls had cancelled there holiday to Turkey because of it! Having said that the damn subject came up again today. Ignorance of the man drives me insane. He is not complaining as such, would not have the front!

(green eglu)

You know I am wearily coming to the conclusion that the world can be divided up into at least two different kinds of people - those who relish other people's discomforts or uncertainties and those who try really hard to support or avoid putting pressure on people in those situations.

The former? Nothing will change them and just recognise them for who they are - sad people who must feel very inadequate inside.

The latter? Cherish and reward with your wholehearted friendship, loyalty and fresh eggs!!!

H

When the bird flu was first discovered in Turkey, a neighbour was quick to point it out. I just explained that my girls had cancelled there holiday to Turkey because of it!

(green eglu)

Priceless! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well done you - that should teach him - I wonder where he's going for his holiday :roll:

You know I am wearily coming to the conclusion that the world can be divided up into at least two different kinds of people - those who relish other people's discomforts or uncertainties and those who try really hard to support or avoid putting pressure on people in those situations.

The former? Nothing will change them and just recognise them for who they are - sad people who must feel very inadequate inside.

The latter? Cherish and reward with your wholehearted friendship, loyalty and fresh eggs!!!

H

Well said Helen :D