Cooks

Shopping List for chickens

As some of you may be aware from my post in the new section, our family are looking to love two chickens. We have sorted an eglu, so my question is, before we even think of getting the little adorables..

what else do we need??

we have decided on a wood chip standing area, as we have a plentifull supply of wood chip and it is eco. The eglu has a run but we will let the lovelies free range out whenever possible when we are there to supervise only.

we know they need grit, pelletts and corn for an occasional treat. They like veggies and fruit, dried mealworms, etc etc.

we also know we will need to have red mite treatments and worming treatments, and they love dust baths.. we have also looked up suitable vets within our area 'just' in case so here's where our 'shopping list' comes in..

does anyone know of a list that's already been written on here or can they give advice about what is actually needed to be bought in prep. We want to get things right.

Thanks

Lynsey & Two Excited Children

1 of which has decided to name his hen 'Crystal' even though he's not picked her yet!.. :D

lol it could be endless but i'll tell you what i have after 6 weeks and i use it all:

layers mash/pellets

mixed corn

grit/oyster shell

chicken spice

garlic and brokashi bran helps their poo not to smell too much, and it works :D

apple cider vinegar for their water

limestone flour for nice hard egg shells , only used a small amount but first egg was great!

diam. earth

red mite powder

think thats it oh and a treat bowl, the same ones good because they come to recognise it i got a rubber dog bowl with weighted bottom

cool, I didn't know about the garlic and brokashi bran, I did see chicken spice in the omlet shop but cant remember what it's use was, I will have another look.

I have apple cider vinegar in the cupboard, I assume any sort is ok. I read somewhere that you can clean the eglu with this aswell, cant remember where I saw that though.

How is the limestone flour used? within the feed?

what is diam. earth sorry, I am new to this, as you can see :oops:

So I did cover a lot of what I needed, which is at least reasurring to know that all my reading through is sinking in :lol:

thanks Christian, I have been told on here 3 is better, I just have my worry that three will be snug in the eglu plus run. I thought two would have more space?

I am intending to let them choose smaller hens (although not bantams) and need some advice there, as they do want eggs, so nice layers that are known to be friendly would be a great help. I like bluebelles and speckledys myself (speckledys as child)

Comfy chair and camera sorted :lol: I hope the chickens like swinging chairs.. do they get motion sickness?? :lol: thats where my children like to sit, so no doubt thats where the chickens in time will follow them...

a treat bowl? I never thought about that, I will have to look and see what I have, I know I have an old porcelain dog bowl about 5 inches across.. if that would work. If not I will buy something

Hi there-another Cambridgeshire chook person here! :dance:

Depending on where about in the county you are-Warboys pet supplies on Heath road is fantastic for chicken stuff.Their prices are really good too! :D

One thing i think is great is their 5kg bags of mixed corn which choooks lurve and will haunt you to death for! It only costs £2.75 and will last for ages as its only fed as a late afternoon treat.They also sell layers pellets & mash at only £6.85 for 20kgs.

I too originally wanted 3,but for reasons i dont know (i think i passed out!)-i changed my mind and got 2 instead from Omlet.I now wish i'd got 3 again so looks like i'll be visiting the poultry breeder in Bottisham at some point... :wink:

Have fun!!! :dance: [/i]

Hi Stevie, I am in fulbourn, but I can travel to warboys.. I have a horse tackle and feed shop right here in fulbourn, which sell chicken feed, however I will always give other shops a go, especially as it is the chance to spread my wings and fly further than fulbourn for a while ;)

The reason to get three chickens is that if you get two and lose one, you will have to get company for the singleton and introductions are usually difficult, traumatic to observe and can result in loss of life.

Also, if you have two, they bond as a pair and not a flock. And you may very well want to get more chickens which your pair are not going to welcome. It is not unknown for people to keep buying more Eglus or getting a Cube and not being able to part with the Eglu they thought they were going to sell to finance the Cube. :oops:

I played it really safe and got four chickens! :D I have never heard anyone here complain of having too many hens!

I think Eglu owners will tell you that it can easily accommodate more than two chickens.

It sounds like you are going to do a great job of hen keeping!

thank you :)

yes I was aware of the problem if I lost one and that would leave a lone bird, I didn't realise that introductions would be that difficult or indeed that two birds would bond as a pair.

ok three it is then, that's ok I will just find hens that are not known to be too big. See I still have a lot to learn. Sorry if I bore you with questions.

I saw the breeder in bottisham on the web, I am going to give them a call when I am sorted and ready for the lovelies, but also up the road the farm are advertising POL hens now.. is there an advantage to go to a breeder rather than say a farm? just thinking aloud.

Edited by Guest

.I now wish i'd got 3 again so looks like i'll be visiting the poultry breeder in Bottisham at some point... :wink:

I drove there last Saturday - very nice people. I got this beautiful and dainty White Star hen, we named her Astrid. She's so pretty, looks like a ballerina, and has adapted beautifully to the flock, no pecking or anything, just joined my other girls as if she'd always lived here! :clap:

The breeder in Bottisham has a particular hybrid im after which is a Goldline and at £12.50 they're priced good too.Its supposed to be similar to Omlets Gingernut ranger with being really friendly.I have a Gingernut & Pepperpot from Omlet and both are super friendly,but the Ginger is by far the most tame.

[quote name="Ana's flock

I drove there last Saturday - very nice people. I got this beautiful and dainty White Star hen' date=' we named her Astrid. She's so pretty, looks like a ballerina, and has adapted beautifully to the flock, no pecking or anything, just joined my other girls as if she'd always lived here! :clap:[/quote]

Thanks for that! Its always nice to know someone who recomends a place! :D Im really tempted to go over there saturday...! :D

It's advisable to phone them first, just to make sure they have the chickens you want. When I went, I had the last of the White Stars.

You will find their number on the website: www.cambridepoultry.com (or co.uk - I'm not sure... :oops: )

Just that it would be disappointing for the children if they think they're going to get a hen and come back empty-handed. ... specially as he sounds as patient as my own two boys! :roll:

Gingernuts are very sweet and friendly. I've also got a Brahma and she's very fluffy and loves to be hugged. She follows me and pecks my shoes until I pick her up. Then she just stays in my arms, very still and clucking gently. She's only been with us less than a week and is totally adorable! (She wears 'bloomers' and looks ever so funny too!)

Good luck and enjoy the chooks.

Ana

yes thanks, I have emailed them already asking what they have available, although I think we have narrowed our search to either.....

A Goldline

A Speckledy

A White Star

A Bluebelle

or An Amber Star

We would love three that laid different coloured eggs, just so the kids knew which hen laid what etcf.. it'd be great for them, but I guess that's not a big worrr, i'd be nice though ;)

Your right I wouldn't take them there on a whim, just couldn't do that to them.. my goodness the ear bashing I would get if they were not available :lol: only joking, their cool kids, just impatient to have their chickens.

so my next quesiton is if I cant get all the hens from same breeder will it be ok to buy from different breeders or is it best to wait until one breeder has three I can take together?

meaning will they be more settled that way? or in theory does that rarely happen, finding all at same place?

This is my list - I'm going shopping for it tomorrow as I get my ex batts on Saturday.

Feeder x 2

Drinker x 2

Feed

Metal Bin

Disinfectant

Perch Cleaner

S"Ooops, word censored!"ers

Oyster shell/hen grit

Bedding

Poultry Spice

Garlic Powder

ACV

Louse powder or spray

Wormer Verm-X

Mixed Corn

Bokashi Bran

Mite Powder

so my next quesiton is if I cant get all the hens from same breeder will it be ok to buy from different breeders or is it best to wait until one breeder has three I can take together?

meaning will they be more settled that way? or in theory does that rarely happen, finding all at same place?

Im no expert,but i can see pro's & cons for both scenarios.

On one hand-it would be easier for you and them to get all the types from one breeder in one go to avoid any stress.

But then-chooks are pretty adaptable and provided you get atleast two at first so you dont have a solitary chicken-they should be ok.

well I've collected my eglu, I've looked at chickens in the farm up the road, all innoculated etc he's a really nice man I said I wasn't ready at moment 'cause I just want to get their new home sorted.

just bought pellets, mixed corn, grit, and horse bedding recommended by the chicken farmer, for the laying area.

getting there now hunting for the rest online, as their supplies were limited.

Hi Loopyloo,

Thornes in Letchworth is not too far from you and they usually have a great selection of POL hybrids.

Of the hens I have chosen I would definitely recommend my Coral (a Leghorn based hybrid) as she larges huge eggs and also my Rhode Star (a generic little red hen) as she is the friendliest and the children adore her. My Maran Cuivre is gorgeous to look at but doesn't shine in the personality department.

The White Star which is on your list has a reputation as being flighty so may be too hard to handle for a new chicken keeper.

Jo