jomaxsmith

Fox attacks - a list of what happened?

Had a fox attack yesterday morning - luckily Hilda escaped unhurt, after much screaming and crying (from me!) :roll: They were just in their little enclosure outside the eglu! Poo!! :wall:

May I ask you to give some detail about their little enclosure please. Did you mean the Eglu run as I thought thois was pretty Fox safe!

Glad girls were ok... very scarey!!!

No it was the enclosure just outside the run!! I am very glad about the fact the fox wasn't actually in the Eglu run lol! :shock:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I lost my only two chickens yesterday. They were freeranging unsupervised. I'd checked on them an hour before but then had to go back inside because it's so cold and i have tonsillitis. Mum came home and went to put them away, Betty was on the lawn, body unharmed but had a broken neck and Gloria was gone. I'm absolutley devestated. I caouldn't sleep last night, can't bear to go out into the garden and see the empty eglu and run and am terrified that Gloria may be laid out there somewhere, though i'm pretty sure she's not.

A lot of people have been saying i should get two more chickens before i miss the routine too badly, but i don't want to 'replace' Betty and Gloria. No chickens could replace them. I loved them so much :cry: What did other people do, did they wait or did they get nw chickens quite quickly?

I've bought FoxWatch now.

I'm so sorry too. :( They looked like lovely girls.

The newsletter is a wonderful way to rembember them by. Please do get some more girls, it really does help (I know from experience, having lost one of mine to a fox), but remember that the only reliable protection against Mr. Fox is vigilance. My girls only ever free range supervised now. *hugs*

I am sorry to hear about your loss. I would get some new hens soon, but if you don't feel in the mood yet there is no harm in waiting until the days start getting longer again: the garden is pretty grim at this time of year, and you won't be able to spend much time with them.

If it is any consolation to you, every time I get new hens they always turn out to be the best hens I ever had. You will like the new ones just as much as the old ones, but it doesn't happen right away, because the pullets will be scared little things who won't come near you.

This thread is headed "A list of what happened". What actually happens is that everyone assumes that because they have never seen a fox in their garden, they are safe. I am afraid this is not the case, as a growing number on this forum will testify.

Thank you everyone, you're all so kind. Thank you for all your support and good advice. I've been inundated with flowers and chocolates from all my friends and family who loved Betty and Gloria like i did. Me and my mum are going out today to buy a shrub or rose bush in memory of them. It is like a person has died in our house because they were like people, they had such great personalities.

Everyone's helped to make me feel a lot better, so thank you again to everyone x

it was really bad weather and my dad cleaned out the chicks because i had tonsilitus and was stuck indoors. he let the big chicks out in the garden but i took the 2 bantams indoors because i was worried about them. i was looking out the window every now and then checking on them, when suddenly i heard them all sqwuaking. i went outside and there were only 2 chickens so i assumed lula was in the coop or around somewhere then she came limping out of the bushes. because it was raining i thought she was jst weighed down by her feathers so i went to give her a bath and she had a load of huge bites on her. they were different sized puncture marks very close to her vent but luckily missing it. we cleaned the with tcp and disinfectant and then with iodine solution and she was in so much shock she didnt flinch.

the fox came back to finish her off and find the other chicks and i went mad and ran outside and whacked it with the rake. i wouldnt kill it but i wanting to hurt it like it had hurt her so it wouldnt return to the garden. im not letting the chicks out of ther run for a while now until my dad fixes it up to be a walk-in run.

I lost chuckles about two weeks ago. It had just got dark and I had not returned the hens to the run when a fox suddnley attacked and killed Chuckles there was a mighty squak and then silence we ran to the garden. We saw poor Chuckles lying dead on the lawn but could not see Bubbles any where so a search ensued. It is only a small 60 ft garden but took some time to locate Bubbles who was shaking and hidden in a pile of plastic flower pots very close to the house.

The garden has two meter fencing all round with no holes. We had not seen a fox in the garden for a number of years since we had the new fencing. I am told that the foxes walk along the top of the fence like a cat would!! This is a surprise to me as I did not realise they were so agile. It is even more of a surpriae as after taking bubbles indoors and settling her we then went to collect Chuckles but she had gone completely. Presumably the fox had returned and taken her away!!

We are now much more careful about closing the run at dusk although we are still leaving the door open to the eglu. We have faith in the secruity of the run!!

Lost Daphanie to a Fox :cry:

We have an Eglu but she was freeranging while i supervised from the kitchen and i had used the Pee wall.

It was about 7pm in Sept so just getting a little dark. The fox came in, almost to the back(kitchen) door grabbed Daphers and legged it. I also did the screaming which made the fox drop her.

After the all clear from the vet, no breaks, no punctures we thought we were clear.

3 days later we lost her.

No more supervising where i cant be seen!

I have never had a problem with foxes and was sometimes tempted to leave the coup door open, so i pleased I didn't.

A fox took all four of my ladies starting at 5.10am (time noted by neighbour)it looks like a fox or maybe more took all night to get into the run, as it was abit of a mess and the door was quite damaged. The rest of the run as a skirt around the outside but not the door. Once in the run the fox gained access to the coop by lifting the wood pop door. The coup was wooden and the pop door was one you drop down.

I have always said' we don't get foxes round here' well not anymore.

We've now repaired the door to the run and my husband has made it as fox proof as it can be. As another safe guard we have ordered a purple cube. Even if a fox ever did get into the run again they sure as hell can't get into the coup.

This happened on the morning of NYE and yesturday my friends chens were killed by a fox this time in a walk in run which I would never have thought they could get into, but they did. With regret she leaves the coup door open at night so she doesn't have to get up early to let them out. You can guess how she feels today. Her run was made from premade panels which were sunk slightly into the ground but no more than two inches. It didn't have a skirt around the base of the run or slabs on the outside.

I have read a thread about leaving eglu/cube doors open at night and have to say there is no way i'll even think about doing that.

We'll be getting out new ladies on the 19th and I'm worried about letting them free range but I guess over time one will.

A week ago they were free ranging in the garden enclosed by Omlet netting semi-supervised I heard the bork bork only to look out and see the fox 1m from the chickens - it was 11.30 in the morning. We live on the edge of an estate, but next to much farmland. We have never seen a fox in the garden before, though do see them further away on the farmland.

It lept over the netting and climbed over a 6ft fence to escape the garden.

It was very cold and I am sure it was hungry. As we have had snow on the ground all week I know it has not been back in the garden all this week. I also know 4 foxes were shot up on the farmland this week.

Tracy

Well, i think we were out once but before we could put them in it took the usual 2 that would try and stay out. It left no trace so we put up posters on the whereabouts of them, but nothing. Then we went down to put them away and there was a wing on the floor, of poor old rocky :( Then nothing happened......for a while and then January 2 years ago on the 21st it came and took all 18 of them. Me and my friend had been to see some horses and we came back to find all their bloody bodies scattered round the pen. I never got over it and I never will. I have 30 chickens now, it took around 3 months for me to be able to go down there even though the bodies had been removed but then we got 3 more chickens and now 30. We make sure that we hang stockings filled with hair round the pen and that a man has a tiddle down there often, luckily the pen is hidden by trees ;)

esta x :wink:

Our Girls: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=11080&l=77380&id=714466586

During the Christmas break I did not shut the Cube gate as I thought it would be OK for them to let themselves out as we did each weekend. Living on a big housing area thought they would be ok.

Morning of Dec 30th noticed no sounds outside, looked and saw feathers everywhere but no sign of the girls. Looking out of the window further I noticed 2 little legs sticking out from behind the bench. My heart sunk, a fox has got one and the rest must be scared.

I rushed into the garden to find 3 with no heads and 1 untouched but lying on the floor. As for the last one she was no where to be seen. I had to rush indie and clear them up before the little boy next door saw them as his bedroom overlooks our garden and he used to come in almost everyday from school to cuddle them.

From now on no unsupervised free ranging when our new girls arrive at the end of Jan.

photo.php?pid=758936&l=e8249&id=714466586

photo.php?pid=1399721&l=6cc92&id=714466586

photo.php?pid=1396472&l=91ba9&id=714466586

Questions

Can you legally kill or hurt a fox in your own gardnen?

Is there any real good anti fox devices out there?

Questions

Can you legally kill or hurt a fox in your own gardnen?

No you can't.

I'm sorry for the loss of your girls but it really is a case of only allowing supervised free ranging if you want to protect your new girls from Mr Fox. You have to remember that it's just a wild animal following it's natural instinct...

My girls had a narrow escape this morning. OH has been letting them out of the Eglu this week into the Eglu run as I have not been well. But he leaves for work at about 6am so has been opening the door before he has left. This morning my son came rushing in and woke me up as the chooks were making a terrible noise and dog was going mad. I think the fox must have got hold of Wilma through the mesh as her feathers are everywhere and their Peka block has come off the bars. They are so used to the dog and come up to him at the bars mainly to wind him up that maybe they done the same with the fox and got too near. They both seem ok although it was too dark to examine them properly (will do that later) Anyway the dog charged out and was going mad at the fence so it had obviously hopped over the neighbours fence, where unfortunately they breed every year under his sun house (the garden is like a jungle). We see foxes most days as we live near a railway line have had one sitting on our shed and garage roof looking at the chooks it always seems to come at about the time I normally free range them in the afternoon but I am always with them. I suppose it thought it would try it's luck this morning as it was still dark...........Will have to start getting up and letting them out myself now. Just out of interest what time do the rest of you let your chooks out this time of the year :?::?::?:

The foxes round me seem to be very active at the moment. I definitely heard them go under the gate to the garden at least 3 times during the night (it rattles loudly). This morning, I was very relieved to see the girls were all fine in the walk-in run and there was no evidence of the foxes trying to get in. That said, I do check all the boundaries daily. I do not want to get complacent. :anxious:

I have a regular fox visitor to the garden. He appears to be tame as he lounges around the garden, takes a look at the chickens then goes on his way.

I guess he is tame because when I heard him barking one frosty evening and went out to 'scare' him off he just trotted towards me, sat down and just sat looking expectantly at me as though to say 'well where's my dinner then?' even though I was shouting for my husband (who has a gun!! - not that we really want to kill the fox).

On another occasion he was in the garden when I went to let the chickens out for a run around - he ran off - but about 10 minutes later I became aware of the magpies making a bit of a din and looked up to find that the fox had returned to the garden even though I was busy gardening!!

For anyone who is sentimental about foxes my neighbour used to feed them and I lost all my previous four chickens to it - just decapitated and left because presumably the fox wasn't hungry.

Foxes come night and day - if you don't have foxes you are lucky - we are on a daily fox run. I think he goes to the pub for lunch (you think I am joking). And we live in the countryside!! Even the domestic cats seem wilder than our foxy 'friend'.

I now keep my chickens inside the run unless I am out in the garden with them and then I keep a close eye on them

We have foxes reported daily next door and our garden backs onto open fields, with a boundary fence like a sieve. We have foxes, cats, all sorts regularly. But the electric fence seems to keep the foxes out and the chickens in.

We do have dogs next door either side, but they are not always out - and big softies too.

We let the girls free range in the electric fence pen outside the eglu run all day long. I shut them inside the pen and eglu at night.

I don't bother to switch the power on when they are safe at night, just when they are free ranging in the daytime. So there is still netting at night, and not seen any sign of attempts to get in closer.

I am sorry to hear some of these experiences. Has anyone with electric fencing lost chickens?

Yes, I have. He jumped through electric strands, he also killed a couple through the electric fence. Mind you he also broke into the Omlet Eglu run so he must be a determined one!

(The survivors are safe in a walk in aviary run now with anti-dig mesh and electric strands around it.)

Lost my two favourite chickens this morning. I'm not always living with my partner, so I found out when he called me this morning. It was around 6 that he heard something, they had been free ranging in their netting pen, but when Chris came out to investigate, none where in the house or the run, three was lots of the campines feathers tho. It took him an hour to find the bodies, one was in the garden that backs on to his, right at the end, it's a building site at the moment i think, and then he found the other, Peggy :( under a hedge. Benji, the campine had been ripped apart, so horrible. The other two were hiding underneath the sailing boat at the top end of the garden, these are the two hybrids, and were older than the other two. Benji was a very easy target, she is very little, and Peggy was top of the pecking order.

Peggy was my favourite pet of all time, second only to my dog Ruby. I miss them loads now.

Chris wants to shoo the fox, I don't completely agree with it. We're gonna electrocute the netting now so the fox wont touch it. The chickens were overdue a wing clipping, which in a way was lucky as they would of been able to get away.

I assume the fox will keep visiting now that it knows the chickens are there. We only have fencing on one side of the garden, the rest is hedges which are a bit bare. If we put up fencing it would seal off the garden, would that be worthwhile.

I will also look into this fox watch thing.