I've been given a shed load of bark nuggets (apparently bigger and nicer than wood chips) AND a bale of aubiose. So I was thinking I woulddo a massive session this week of lifting the run off (again) and digging out skanky pellets and putting down a layer of aubiose and then covering it with Bark nuggets. Pictures to follow...

Can I just ask then, is it best to use Aubiose as a base and wood chips on top or a mixture of both - I intend to house my chooks on a concrete base?

Laura

I would be very interested in opinions as to whether aubiose is better than wood chips on concrete - dont want to make a mistake!!!

Laura

Actually, it's on paving slabs - which is a what I was terming concrete base - as we had a large paved area anyway - it seemed worth saving the grass! When we move house we are going to put slabs down where we want it, just so it provides good fox security too :D

No - I just make sure that the edges of the run have no obstructions underneath so that the run lies flat on the slabs - therefore making it difficult (sometimes impossible :roll: ) for us to lift the edges up. When the Aubiose builds up at the edges I get my OH to lift the side (just holding the wall - if you see what I mean :? ) and then I brush it back inside.

I can't belive any animal would be able to lift it at all, let alone get underneath, when it's on slabs. Certainly prevents the digging problem :D (by the chooks as well :lol: )

We have ours on concrete, and have put a line of bricks around the edge, sitting on the skirt of the run. It looks quite neat and I think helps to confine the mess a bit. Does make it much harder to move, but I'm 100% sure a fox couldn't lift it.

I've just put some Aubiose down. We didn't really have any bark chips left, so the chickens were just on compacted, smelly mud!

The aubiose looks lovely, the chickens thought they'd been given a new home and seemed a bit confused for a while!

It must be cheaper than bark/wood chips too. I think my huge bale cost £7.50 and we have used about a quarter in the run. :D

It's much easier to use too! :D

I got mine from the Farm supplies shop too last time I bought pellets. That was quite a while ago and it has been sitting in the garage ever since!