buffie

Chicken Run - Battery Hen update!

Thought you might be interested to read the pathetic reply I got from Tesco - meaningless waffle as far as I'm concerned :evil::evil:

Thank you for your email.

Feedback has shown that some customers prefer to buy free-range eggs only.

However, unlike some of our competitors, we are catering for an extremely

large market and find it difficult to source enough free-range eggs to

supply our stores. We also cater for a wide range of income groups and by

removing the lesser-priced caged hen eggs from our shelves, we may exclude

lower income groups from buying this product.

Animal welfare is important to us and to improve standards throughout the

egg industry, we are sponsoring research with several leading welfare

organisations in order to identify some alternatives to the current method

of caged hen farming.

Thank you for letting us know your views.

Tut Tut!!! Thanks and yes bog standard reply. response "the alternative is staring you in the face, free range eggs no other option." How much profit did they make, another idea they put some money into supporting farmers make the change instead of 'alternatives to the cage'!!!! Off soapbox...

The truth is there is a choice and that's what needs to change. In an ideal world the UK farmers can sell their free range eggs and not lose their livelihoods to foreign cheap imports, because the public doesn't want the cheap eggs!!

I was just thinking about consumers branding preference. If you offered cheap coke they would say "we only buy only Coca cola or pepsi". I have friends who buy nurofen and I've explained that own brand ibuprofen is the same thing but much cheaper, they are brand aware.

Get a free range brand logo and cool advert and the youth will lead the way. Who could you think of to promote hen friendly eggs to the young?

If anyone wants the battery hen welfare trust newsletter contact me jaynetherapy@yahoo.co.uk and I'll forward it to you and pass on details to jane and get you on the supporters list.

Off to make a cuppa!!

Bx :lol:

It is meaningless isn't it - by changing to free range it would force people to look at what they are doing, no matter what income they are on, but I suppose if it comes down to either another packet of fags or decent eggs then there is no contest.

The big supermarkets are the ones who could initiate the changes but they obviously don't want to.

I am waging my own small campaign where I work.

If I have surplus eggs (which I do sometimes as I am the only person in our house who eats them), I bring them into work and give them to colleagues. All of them have commented on how nice they are and a few people have now switched from battery to free range because they found out how much better they tasted. I have also been (pardon the pun) spreading the news about Hellmans so hopefully they will stop buying that too.

In the words of one of our less conscientious supermarkets, "Every little helps".