Egg Lou

Its arrived! Door conversion method added

Like Diane.. my green cube arrived today and certainly was worth waiting for! Even with the roof that needs a bit of a "knack" to close its fantastic!

I had the extremely helpful Roy assemble for me, who did a fab job and also had some great advice readliy on offer. I didn't order chickens from Omlet so he stood in for them as you can see in pic below :lol:

MyGreenCube008.jpg

I was also planning to do a full end door conversion, however once assembled my lovely assistant (good old Dad!) had concerns about making the bottom fully fox proof so we have gone down another route to make a door that we can actually get through. I'm overweight, he's no spring chicken and we both have back issues!

We strengthened the half of the door with extra green clips on all sides, bottom and also where top half meets to make a "stronger hinge"..

Then added metal clips ( spare horse ones) to the top to close and secure from foxes etc..

MyGreenCube014.jpg

To open I simply undo clips "fold" the top back and step over as my Father demonstrates below! :lol:

MyGreenCube016.jpg

MyGreenCube019.jpg

Best place for him!

MyGreenCube020.jpg

I have been asked to add instructions so here goes!.. sorry if this is old hat to the very experienced on here but think it may help other newbies like me!

Dad and I did the conversion but its really simple!

1)Just order an extra run frame (about £19) and extra green clips (2.99), buy some black zip ties (B&Q)

2)When your driver builds cube ask him to leave the end/door panel off..

3)Build and place extra frame just inside end of run allowing about 1cm gap to end to allow green clips to pass through. Secure frame to top and sides of run with zip ties

4) attach the bottom skirt to the side skirts with clips

5) Ask someone to hold the door panel in place and then use the extra clips to secure the sides of the lower half to the run sides ( only up to the hinge) I used lots to stop Mr Fox!

6) Use same method to secure bottom of this lower panel to end skirt

7) Add extra clips to the "hinge" above door all the way along to strengthen the hinge movement.

Use either metal clips or velcro or something equally strong to secure the top of run..

The just undo clips to allow the "door" to drop!

Edited by Guest

Congratulations :D . That looks fab :D . You're a hard taskmaster though, you got your lovely assistant to do all the hard work while you stood around taking photos :shameonu::lol: .

Like the door arrangement - looks good!

:lol: There is one of me doing same thing and I did make Tea but someone has to record the events as my usual "david bailey" is no longer around to sort for me. He was very helpful though.. poor Dad!

I'm impressed with the door adaptation - I was going to get an extra arch for mine, do you have that or does it work without? I've noticed the front is buckling lately, where I've got the Superglug hung on it (have to hang it there as I can't reach inside due to the tiny door ...)

Definitely send a picture of your lovely assistant to Barbara for the next newsletter!

Edited: sorry, I've looked at the pics again and I can see you have got the arch. Think it's time I ordered one.

Quintessentially Bonkers? :lol:

Quite Barking? :lol:

No offence, Egg Lou :wink:

:lol: No offence taken.. as probably true!

Yup I was very slow on the Qb.. :oops: Very good idea but can't be bothered to change although could double-barrel?? :lol:

Hmm "assistant" pic to Barbara?? I'll try that one :lol:

Thank you!

As I said we were ideally trying to do a "full" door like Maggies great version, however we couldn't get the bottom as secure as we needed for where I live.. so this version means the lower half ( near the fox!) has got double the amount of clips to secure. The top metal clips are from horse lead ropes ( available from any horse supplies) and found these to be the strongest and quickest to secure.. of course velcro will also the job like many other adaptations use.

and yes.. I did use an extra frame.. well worth the money!

The adaptation looks really good, & the photo will end up in the newsletter, I'm sure.

My reason for changing my mind about ordering the cube run is that the height of the run is not practical for me to walk into comfortably ( & I'm short).

Since the weldmesh used by Omlet is such good quality I was thinking couldn't the run be adapted for the cube mark II or III or whatever to be taller than the cube is, say five foot ten, yet where it joins the cube as now it could just be lower at that point.

I can visualise this in my head, but it's hard to describe- something like on the run door end where the top of the run suddenly goes vertical for the door panel, couldn't this happen at the cube end ( but perhaps be one solid "moulded" piece of weldmesh rather than being clipped on as it is on the run end to make it stronger & not "floppy"? Then the vertical drop bit could then have a sideways 90 degree sticking out bit which attaches to the cube just as the current cube run does now- it's a bit like a solid, (not floppy), anti fox skirt type fixing thing.

Any one with me?

Have I lost you all?

Pråtar du engelska? :wink:

Yep...you lost me!

I don't really understand exactly what you are saying but the only problem with the run being higher near to the actual cube itself is that the roof slides forward on the cube so it would have to be a cube height for the length of the cube roof?

Now it's me not making sense!!

Diane

Yes, congrats on the arrival. When and where are you getting your chickens?

And I will definitely try that door adaptation you've done. I'm 5' 9" and I think being able to get in there more easily would be very helpful for me and the chickens.

You would be able to step through.. obviously its not as comfortable as a full door but we both managed it fine even with dodgy back issues!

I am getting my girls on Friday from Merrist Wood, Guildford.. I have a mobile number if its any good to you. He does the usual Hybrids and extremely helpful!

I am getting my girls on Friday from Merrist Wood, Guildford.. I have a mobile number if its any good to you. He does the usual Hybrids and extremely helpful!

Yes, please, if you have contact info or a website link for them, I'd be glad to have it. I found a nice farm to go to, but it is a bit far to drive, so if I could find someone closer, my OH would be very pleased (and the transported chix would be happier too, i think)

The adaptation looks really good, & the photo will end up in the newsletter, I'm sure.

My reason for changing my mind about ordering the cube run is that the height of the run is not practical for me to walk into comfortably ( & I'm short).

Since the weldmesh used by Omlet is such good quality I was thinking couldn't the run be adapted for the cube mark II or III or whatever to be taller than the cube is, say five foot ten, yet where it joins the cube as now it could just be lower at that point.

I can visualise this in my head, but it's hard to describe- something like on the run door end where the top of the run suddenly goes vertical for the door panel, couldn't this happen at the cube end ( but perhaps be one solid "moulded" piece of weldmesh rather than being clipped on as it is on the run end to make it stronger & not "floppy"? Then the vertical drop bit could then have a sideways 90 degree sticking out bit which attaches to the cube just as the current cube run does now- it's a bit like a solid, (not floppy), anti fox skirt type fixing thing.

Any one with me?

Have I lost you all?

I know exactly what you mean and really agree! My version is the best I could do but would much rather be able to stand up fully as you still have to stoop down when in run.. I intend to use one of those gardening kneal pads when in there to avoid pooey knees!

Egg Lou - thanks so much for the inspiration. We have had to come to the conclusion that allowing our hens to freerange at all would result in certain death due to foxes wandering through garden whether we are around or not - I am sure they would take a bird even if we were there. In addition, our garden is home to a feral cat that has adopted us.

We have been swithering over what to do for the best, the cost of walk-in run, etc but I really do like the cube run and the fact it sits low means that it 's presence is not advertised to the world (we are a bit isolated where we stay, but close to a unit for teenage boys who have been labelled as "anti-social behaviour" and I know for a fact that some fireset, so we have been wary of a big wooden run that may prove tempting in this respect. We also would have a lot of structural work to do on the garden before building such a run and we are trying to concentrate our time and efforts on the house at present.

I have Cube + extension at present and have been tempted to add another one (and maybe even another after that) to allow a good space the hens could spend their time with no fear of foxes or boys, the door and a wish to be able to sit in with the hens was putting me off - having seen your adaption and your instructions, I believe you have given us a perfect solution and saved us a few quid in the process - many thanks!

Thanks for posting the step-by-step instruction for making the step-in run flap. Really great. I have just added the extra frame and clips to my order (I simply cannot let the OH see the bill now :oops: ) -- and will speak to the driver when he comes, to let him know what I will be doing with the extra bits and bobs.

The man who revamped my order at Omlet was a bit confused about what I wanted an extra frame for, as one is already part of the 1m extension order I placed last week. I tried to explain what we were all doing here on the forum, but not sure he got my drift. But as more of us do this kind of thing, I am sure Omlet will catch on that it's needed.

Now... if they start making a conversion kit as per your instructions, Egg Lou, you make sure you get your royalty fees! :lol:

Well done Egg Lou for adapting the door so quickly. I still haven't got around to it. I can't decide what to do - thinking a walk in run will be the answer.

Jules I got what you were saying and think that it is a good idea.

Anything that saves having to bend or be on your knees sounds ideal to me.