Egg Lou

Its arrived! Door conversion method added

Egg Lou - thanks so much for the inspiration. We have had to come to the conclusion that allowing our hens to freerange at all would result in certain death due to foxes wandering through garden whether we are around or not - I am sure they would take a bird even if we were there. In addition, our garden is home to a feral cat that has adopted us.

We have been swithering over what to do for the best, the cost of walk-in run, etc but I really do like the cube run and the fact it sits low means that it 's presence is not advertised to the world (we are a bit isolated where we stay, but close to a unit for teenage boys who have been labelled as "anti-social behaviour" and I know for a fact that some fireset, so we have been wary of a big wooden run that may prove tempting in this respect. We also would have a lot of structural work to do on the garden before building such a run and we are trying to concentrate our time and efforts on the house at present.

I have Cube + extension at present and have been tempted to add another one (and maybe even another after that) to allow a good space the hens could spend their time with no fear of foxes or boys, the door and a wish to be able to sit in with the hens was putting me off - having seen your adaption and your instructions, I believe you have given us a perfect solution and saved us a few quid in the process - many thanks!

Oh pleased if it helps protect your girls! I should add there are many wonderful conversions by other members on here too.. this is just a flap version rather than full door.

Stephanie has kindly put my instructions on an easier word doc which I can email to you if this would be of any help at all?

Stephanie the word doc is great, I have just re arranged the photos though.. hope thats ok :D

Yours looks like the best option I have seen - it offers some protection from birds getting out or one of my cats sneaking in when opening a full door one.

I think I have the instructions OK from your post, but will be back in touch if I need the word document - thanks for offer though!

Stephanie the word doc is great, I have just re arranged the photos though.. hope thats ok :D

Egg Lou, the real work is all yours, so the changes are great, I'm sure!

I'm just glad I now have a great way to adapt the cube to get my giant of a self into the run without putting the chooks at risk. And my son can still crawl through the normal opening and feel very chuffed with himself... everyone will be happy.

Your conversion looks great and I am about to order the extra frame so I can also avoid doing the yoga "salute to the sun" manouevre. Technical question - when you refer to zip ties to attach the frame to the run, are these what I might know as cable ties or something different? Best to know exactly what I want before venturing to B&Q. Many thanks in advance.

Your conversion looks great and I am about to order the extra frame so I can also avoid doing the yoga "salute to the sun" manouevre. Technical question - when you refer to zip ties to attach the frame to the run, are these what I might know as cable ties or something different? Best to know exactly what I want before venturing to B&Q. Many thanks in advance.

Yes .. quite right.. zip, cable all same thing! you only need about 1/2 dozen or so.. velro would also work..

Hope it goes well!

what a great idea....will be doing that very soon i think!!!

where did you get the brass clips from? they look excellent.

Excellent idea :clap::clap:

They are just from horse supply shop.. I occasionally make some horse webbing items so bought these in bulk a while ago.. these were just left over.. you should be able to find some in a local horse shop or even ebay.. if not just use velcro.

If I can get another load I'll happily part with some if anyone gets stuck!

If anyone is interested, the clips holding the top panel closed are called trigger clips, I eventually managed to find the name of them after hours of checking the internet!!

Link - http://www.libbys-tack.com/shop/customer/product.php?cat=9&productid=230

They are also known as fetish clips on ebay ............. ahem!!! :shock:

Fabulous conversion this by the way, I will be using this idea on my Cube when it arrives in August. :D

thanks for that. Have been looking everywhere for something to get. Did get some clips in a hardware shop, but they were too big and didnt hold the run close enough together. We finally went for a small keyring clip, the ones that have the trolley tokens attached! So we now have 6 trolley tokens to leave around the cars/purses etc so will never have to look again! Just hopeing they last ok outside. Will have to wait and see.

A quick question - I will phone Omlet tomorrow if I have time - but my extra arch didn't come with any screws and washers. The arch on the extension is screwed to the mesh at the bottom with a screw and washer, and I see that the one on the pictures at the start of this thread is also fixed that way.

Should I have ordered them separately, or should it have been included? It's a bit annoying as I'll have to pay separate postage if I order them now!

Just wondered if anyone else who's done this can advise.

A quick question - I will phone Omlet tomorrow if I have time - but my extra arch didn't come with any screws and washers. The arch on the extension is screwed to the mesh at the bottom with a screw and washer, and I see that the one on the pictures at the start of this thread is also fixed that way.

Should I have ordered them separately, or should it have been included? It's a bit annoying as I'll have to pay separate postage if I order them now!

Just wondered if anyone else who's done this can advise.

Hi Olly

Sorry I should have said I managed to get hold of extra nut/washers, however cable ties threaded through the pre drilled hole will do a good job too :D

oh good idea Egg Lou - in fact, I need to go up the garden and fiddle with the whole thing today, because the front is way out of alignment with the extra arch. I'm hoping I can get it all into shape.

I do love the door conversion though - no more bruises on my arm from squeezing it at an angle to hang the feeders; no more trying to fend off hens desperate to make a break for it, and no more struggling to hang a (nearly empty) SuperGlug up and get it level. I can fill the whole thing and just hang it at the height I want, while the chooks potter around underneath.

I think Omlet should pay you for the idea - bet this becomes a standard adaptation soon.

oh good idea Egg Lou - in fact, I need to go up the garden and fiddle with the whole thing today, because the front is way out of alignment with the extra arch. I'm hoping I can get it all into shape.

I do love the door conversion though - no more bruises on my arm from squeezing it at an angle to hang the feeders; no more trying to fend off hens desperate to make a break for it, and no more struggling to hang a (nearly empty) SuperGlug up and get it level. I can fill the whole thing and just hang it at the height I want, while the chooks potter around underneath.

I think Omlet should pay you for the idea - bet this becomes a standard adaptation soon.

:lol: Heres to hoping! Thanks Olly.. hope you manage to secure it ok.. you can get extra large washers and bolts like this from B&Q if you really need to for very little cost.. I was lucky enough to get extra from my Omlet chap.

Lou

I would love to convert our new cube. Is the extension from Eglu £100.00 or can I convert it more cheaply. I am sick of bruising my arm ( only 5ft 4 ins). I cant get the water container out.

The extension is £100, if you want to extend your run.

If you're happy with the size of the run, but want to convert it as described above, then all you need to buy is the extra arch - about £20 I believe - and some velcro ties, trigger clips, pegs or something that will hold it on and be easy to release. Doesn't cost much at all!

You do need the arch though, otherwise the roof will sag when you take the front off. I'm like Steve though, I just use a watering can to top up the Glug!

I have bought the arch and extension run. Other half sorted out the door which is great , life so much easier :clap::dance: . The whole door swings and can be closed by velcro fastenings. Truly the cleaning of the run is much much better. As I have tarpaulin over the run because of dreadful weather lately it was impossibe to fill the glug via a watering can as the whole cover would have had to be lifted and at the moment is sooo muddy.The whole run now resembles the chicken train. :dance: