Steve.

eglu on Order - change to Cube? (CUBE ARRIVED WITH PICS!!!)

Good news and very good news.

Good news is that a very helpful young lady omlet called and my delivery is on 10th July moved forward from 1st August. The very good news is that I've upgraded to 5 chickens.

The other news is that I'll be allowed a run extension next year :)

Maybe learning how the washing machine works and having a go at it might make up for the extra chickens :wink:

I'm not allowed to touch the washing machine due to something about putting stuff in, in the wrong order.

Anyway, what on earth am I going to do with 30 eggs a week? We hardly eat the things :lol:

sorry couldn't resist :lol: you'll find a use for the eggs I am sure of it, and like others have said you can sell them.

Reading through the posts, it seems that demand for garden eggs is quite high ... may have to invest in a sign!

Do you cook Steve? You will suddenly find yourself cooking and baking an awful lot more! :lol:

I used to cook then I trained up the Mrs and she's better than me (by a long way) now.

Oh Steve......................

a cube is coming, you have ALOT to answer for!

LOL.

That's not the first time that's been said to me and I am sure it won't be the last.

Good luck with your Cube! What colour are you getting? (don't forget to update your sig!)

Well t-minus 10 days to go till delivery.

A couple more questions:

1. Should I get an extra feeder what with 5 chucks?

2. A 20kg bag of Layers is £7.50 at the local pet superstore, is this a good price?

3. Shall I get some Mixed Corn at the same time? (It's about £7.25 for 20kg)

4. What does everyone do for an egg collection basket? :lol:

Hi Steve

I can only answer a couple of your questions,1 & 4 .

I would get an extra feeding bowl. I use a heavy dog bowl, it holds more than enough feed for them and it stops any mess from feed dropped on the floor.

As to egg collecting, well, I seem to always to forget to take something with me so I fill pockets and hold as many as I can, while trying to shut the egg port :D

I did take a container with me once but it seemed more cumbersome for some reason :shock:

Happy hen keeping Steve from the 10th July.

Best Wishes

Well t-minus 10 days to go till delivery.

A couple more questions:

1. Should I get an extra feeder what with 5 chucks?

I use some Eltex galvanised troughs. they have a lip on the egse to stop the chooks scratching the feed out on the floor. You will definitely need extra feed stations as the grugs aren't good for lots of hens to feed from

2. A 20kg bag of Layers is £7.50 at the local pet superstore, is this a good price?

That's a good price, especially as feed price is going up at the moment

3. Shall I get some Mixed Corn at the same time? (It's about £7.25 for 20kg)

As above

4. What does everyone do for an egg collection basket? :lol:

I've got a small handmade willow basket that I use. depends on how many eggs you get really

Hi Steve, have you seen these??

http://www.egg-skelter.co.uk/

not good for collection but look great in the kitchen!!!

purple cube coming.... think hens will be from golden valley, if anybody knows anything about them... I have invested in an extra feeder and drinker, both plastic for now until I know their requirements a bit more.

Funnily enough we don't eat eats either, but i've got everyone saving egg boxes!

We've got 2 hanging galvanised troughs from Solway Feeders which our 6 girls are very happy to feed from - I think they cost about £2.60 each.

That sounds a really good price for layers mash - up here it's much dearer - last week I got complete poultry mix 15kg for £9.99. Just be careful not to buy too much of the food - the sell by dates are usually quite short.

Best of luck when production starts!

Sheila