One point he did make thought, was that, if you have an active mouse population around your garden, then you can be reassured that rat activity in your vicintiy will be at a minimum, as rats and mice will not live in the same areas.

Ooh! :D Thank you for that! That has really brightened my day :D I can't cope with rats at all.

I'm going to tidy up the run a bit too and try to eliminate hiding-places. I hope it doesn't make it too boring for the chickens though. :?

:) Hi Ginette, rodent expert here! :wink:

Well, the metal bin for food is essential, and taking the food in overnight very wise, so you're already doing the best things. I doubt they'll want to settle if the food source diappears, but then of course the hens do sometimes leave spillages, and just a bit would be a feast for mice.

I don't think their presence will be harmful to the chickens, more a tasty dinner. :shock: But, if they are multiplying or over running your shed, house :shock: etc then it's up to you; you could set some old fashioned traps where you know they run, (or even poison if desperate) but protect other creatures by hiding under a leaning plank or board.

If it's just one, you could live with it (or scream loudly).

The good news is, that rats don't settle where mice live! :D (is it def. mice not rats?)

Oh, if anyone has mice in a guinea pig run, that's different...their wee can be fatal. But chickens? It's up to you whether they are taking over still once you have removed the food source.

Good luck, keep us posted.

PS, I type slowly, so some duplication!

Oh, thank you Sheila. :D

I have actually seen a mouse - on Saturday afternoon :shock: . It didn't seem particularly timid. But if you and Shona are right, that means I can't have rats. I'm thinking adopting a mouse might be quite beneficial! :lol:

I think the chickens have been eating mice because the children have said they thought they saw them a couple of times, not really knowing what they were telling me! 'something dark that looked hairy'.

I thought mice lived in families. Am I likely to have just one? Do they dig? I have noticed a narrow crevisse near the eglu which I don't think can be down to the chickens. I'm going to have to dig the whole thing over again. :(:(

Thank you so much for your help. :)

I thought mice lived in families. Am I likely to have just one? Do they dig? I have noticed a narrow crevisse near the eglu which I don't think can be down to the chickens. I'm going to have to dig the whole thing over again. :(:(

You are likely to have more than one mouse, and they can dig, they can also climb and chew through most things. Mice can also squeeze through the tiniest openings, I am sure I read that they can get through gaps with a diameter as small as a centimetre. :shock:

Mice can also squeeze through the tiniest openings, I am sure I read that they can get through gaps with a diameter as small as a centimetre. :shock:

The guy from Rentokil that visits where I work every few weeks loves to tell me that mice can squeeze through an opening the diameter of the end of a Biro - he tells me every visit :roll:

My last post disappeared in Tuesday's glitch. :(

We have had two mice visiting for breakfast each morning this week.

This morning one of them WAS breakfast! :shock::vom: :vom:

Yes! Sorry, I didn't mean that I enjoyed it for my breakfast! :shock::shock:

I had banana and yoghurt :D

OH unfortunately saw the whole 'catch and eat' while he was collecting the eggs. He didn't really fancy breakfast!

:oops::oops::oops::oops:

I got it wrong! Apparently the chickens squabbled over who was going to enjoy the catch and in the melée, the mouse escaped. :(:(

I don't know what OH was fussing about, saying he didn't fancy any breakfast! :lol:

So there are still two mice, but maybe one of them at least will be too frightened to visit!