redhotchick

Canal Boat Holiday

Hi, I'm off on holiday for a week on Saturday with my OH. If all goes to plan we will be travelling through Napton, Priors Hardwick, Fenny Compton, Claydon and Cropedy. Maybe onto Banbury, King's Sutton, Ayno, Upper Heyford, Lower Heyford, Probably not as far as Thrupp.

It depends on the weather and how temperamental the boat is being :roll:

The boat is called ABPOPA, pronounced Aurora (it's a Russian script thing)

If you see us along the way please say hello!

:D:D

You'll have a ball! One of my fondest childhood holiday memories was the year we hired a canal boat - I was about 12, and I honestly felt it was the closest I would ever get to being one of the Famous Five!

Oh I'm so jealous. I met my husband at Fenny Compton. In the pub thats now a bistro type place. We went back on our honeymoon and were most put out it had changed. I grew up doing the canals each yearand was actually with my parents going one direction while hubby was with his mates going the other. Can't wait for my inlaws to get their boat ont he water (broads) cos I really miss it.

Have fun

I hope you have a brilliant time...........My all time best holiday was with friends on a narrow boat holiday around the Cheshire ring we managed to do it in a week and had great fun......Nothing to do with all the home made wine and damson gin we consumed of course.... :lol:

I did a canal boat holiday with her indoors once. It was OK. It rained most of the time. Our son was about 8 and fell in - I had told him to be careful about falling in because I told him he would get Weil's disease.

One of our Scottish Terriors fell in as well just as we were entering a tunnel.

we kept getting plastic bags caught on the prop which was a pain - and when we went through the middle of Birmingham we got all sorts of really nasty stuff on the prop; shopping trolleys, bits of unidentified nastiness.

We nearly ran out of water in the canal getting to the Tardibigg locks (I think it was called something like that) which made life difficult.

When we did the locks I did the winding and her indoors steered the boat through the locks. Several times she nearly passed out from the engine fumes when she was in the bottom of the locks. I'd take oxygen if I was going again.

We only went the once.

ooooh sounds lovely in some ways - I always like the look of them on those hideous holiday programmes. Then I wonder if it's like living in a floating tent....

I like a good holiday on a boat though...

I spent a day in my brother's narrow boat up in Stoke a couple of weeks ago. it was great fun and the kids had a ball with the locks. I do warn you though, the follwing day my legs and arms were really bruised and I am not entirely sure how I got them! :roll:

Thanks for all the replies.

It's my OH's parent's boat. I've been up and down that stretch of canal many a time.

Sadly this will be the last time as the boat is being moved "oop north" to make it more accessible for everyone. A new berth has been secured. We will be relocating to the Cheshire Ring with easy access to the Llangollen Canal sometime next year (probably).

I'm excited about exploring new waterways and especially about being able to go on the Llangollen Viaduct.

The boat is more like a floating caravan than camping. It has central heating, a big double bed and a hot shower. It's nice having just the two of us on it, but that can be hard work. OH does all the steering, I do all the locks. I fell in once, a year or two ago when it was wet. I'm a bit nervous in the rain now. My nieces stayed for a few days one time, and one of them fell in! (and we predicted which one it would be!)

It's a beautiful way to see the countryside, it's going to be very busy next week on the canals - shouldn't be any danger of a water shortage though!

As the boat is getting older it has more glitches, and we have had a few problems last few times out, so fingers crossed this time!

Bronze - I'm sure I've been to that pub/Bistro. My OH's favourite pub is the Red Lion at Cropedy. I love Gemma Wheeler's Silver Jewellery also at Cropedy. With any luck we will stop off for a night or two there. :D

I did a canal boat holiday with her indoors once. It was OK. It rained most of the time. Our son was about 8 and fell in - I had told him to be careful about falling in because I told him he would get Weil's disease.

One of our Scottish Terriors fell in as well just as we were entering a tunnel.

we kept getting plastic bags caught on the prop which was a pain - and when we went through the middle of Birmingham we got all sorts of really nasty stuff on the prop; shopping trolleys, bits of unidentified nastiness.

We nearly ran out of water in the canal getting to the Tardibigg locks (I think it was called something like that) which made life difficult.

When we did the locks I did the winding and her indoors steered the boat through the locks. Several times she nearly passed out from the engine fumes when she was in the bottom of the locks. I'd take oxygen if I was going again.

We only went the once.

says a spokesman from the Canal Boating Holidays Promotion board ..... :lol::lol::lol:

Well Richard, you've sold me there, I'm off to book our next holiday on your recommendation alone :lol::lol:

Mrs B

Yes I know the red lion. Copredy was interesting one of the times we went through as we managed to get caught int he middle of the fairport convention convention. Everyone wanted to help with the locks, including loads of drunk old hippys.

DH does the locks, I can't drive a car but I'm pretty nifty with a boat.

Yes I know the red lion. Copredy was interesting one of the times we went through as we managed to get caught int he middle of the fairport convention convention. Everyone wanted to help with the locks, including loads of drunk old hippys.

DH does the locks, I can't drive a car but I'm pretty nifty with a boat.

:lol::lol: Yes I know what you mean! I've just checked and the convention was earlier in the month, so we've missed it.

I love Foxton Locks, but we are (probably) going the opposite way.

The locks are the fun bit!

I was supposed to be grocery shopping tonight but met up with a friend and ended up gabbing all night. Not at all organised now! Oh dear. I will be busy tomorrow.

We did the Cheshire ring about 3 years ago. We had a great time. I too fell in :oops: . I didn't do much at all as we had DS with us and he was 15 so he did the lock or steering and the OH did the other task. I got to mind DD1 who was only about 10 months at the time. It's great having somewhere new every day and if you want to stay longer you can. I'd like to go again when DD2 is old enough not to fall in every 5 minutes.

I fell in in Ireland.

Just managed to do a really nifty bit of steering, pulled in as the lock was against us. My friend puts her line around front bollard I chucked mine round the one near the stern and pull. The bollard falls over I go backwards off the boat. It was classic. Though I did skin my leg in the process.