redhotchick

Canal Boat Holiday

I fell in in Ireland.

Just managed to do a really nifty bit of steering, pulled in as the lock was against us. My friend puts her line around front bollard I chucked mine round the one near the stern and pull. The bollard falls over I go backwards off the boat. It was classic. Though I did skin my leg in the process.

I s"Ooops, word censored!"ed all up my bottom and back. It was quite sore to sit down for a while :oops:

14 hours ago, Patricia W said:

Wonder what the origin of the name is ?  Maybe you’ve got it right, Soapy!  If you want lightweight fiction in a local setting Faith Martin is worth reading though.  

Picture of your boat? 

Oh gosh, i must have a picture somewhere. I'm not sure I will be able to find though. 

Abpopa is Russian for Aurora. Abpopa was a Russian ship

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Aurora&ved=2ahUKEwj8_cag7Y3gAhUxXRUIHW_mAi8QFjAnegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0bbhw8nBotCksCpxF5E36Q

We don't know where Abpopa is. OH could ask his brother  but he isn't interested. I think it makes him too sad. When their dad died he left it to both of them. After a few years they agreed to sell. OH's brother agreed to organise. A year later OH asks where it's up to. Brother says "Oh I changed my mind". OH agreed to keep it as long as brother pays all bills. As far as I know he's got it moored up and moves it to avoid paying marina fees. I wonder if he's even taxed it.  It make a me sad as we loved going on the boat. I doubt it is properly looked after now. 😥

3 hours ago, soapdragon said:

Can you offer to buy out BIL? Then you could do any work necessary and have it all to yourselves. Sounds as though there is an emotional tie there.

I mentioned this last night to my OH. He wasn't keen on paying the mooring fees, and I guess all the upkeep. I will look into it myself. It's a beautiful boat, but needs a lot of work. Reconfiguring,  electrical work. We have friends who could help. I think OH finds it difficult to think about because of the ties with his dad.