james

Please stay on topic - its much easier to follow

• Omlet Staff

Hi Guys,

As the forum gets busier and used more it is important to stay on the topic of the post. This makes it much easier to read and follow. If you would like to talk about something different then please start a new topic and don't dilute the current topic you are on.

Thanks,

James

Edited by Guest

Hi James .... on this note could you delete some of the "old" posts which have not had a reply for several weeks ... this would help unclog, and scrolling down an index of stale topics.

PS .. what are the rules for 23rd!!!!.

Kind regards and grovel ... Sarah.

PPS ... do chooks like snow :?:

• Omlet Staff

Hi,

My comments are only meant to make the forum really easy to follow :D. It should be possible to read a post from start to finish and understand all the comments. But it is hard, when alot of the posts intertwine :? .

For example, someone might not expect this post to start talking about the rules for the "National Take You Chicken Into Work Day" - which would relate to this topic http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=165 . I promise to put the rules up! :oops:

But don't feel bad - I am just trying to keep it easy to use and running smoothly : ) and everyone loves reading the posts!

Sorry if this sounds like a telling off - it not meant to be :)

James

p.s. I will put a photo of us on the gallery - and we will be fully clothed!

Hi James ... just to remind you of the "housekeeping" point :!: ... I thought about this the other week, and if only the newest topics are kept then it will keep everything tidier - as well as us not going of the boil!!. Also, any newcomers who may have benefited from some of the old topics .. will no doubt ask similar questions, and refresh us all!.

Cheers .. Sarah.

• Omlet Staff

Yeah, it is balance between clearing a history and also keeping one for people to search read and benefit from. Maybe we should have vote on whether to clear the old topics or not. Hum... I think I might just do that now. :)

I agree that it's good for newcomers to the forum to be able to search through the old topics for things that concern them but maybe it would be a good idea to get rid of old seasonal things like the bonfire night thread because, knowing us lot, we'll all cover them again next year!

We forgive you for slapping our wrists as you've promised to put a photo of the Omlet Four in the gallery - I'm glad to hear you'll all be fully clothed! I was the voice of reason when things got steamy :wink: !

Hi James

How about putting old topics into an archive section so people can view it if they wish but it doesn't clog up the serious hens section :)

And then in all your free time when you've done all that and posed (fully clothed) for the calendar, PLEASE can we have a grey hen emoticon and a white one as well if poss.

I'm too old for a telling off - unless it's by my Mum :wink:

Quite rightly, we should keep to topic in Eglu and Chickens but Nesting Box is different.

I will keep to topic in Nesting Box but can't guarantee the topics will always be serious. I don't 'do' serious - life's too short :?

No-one is forced to look in any area of the forum so people who aren't interested in the light-hearted side of things will be able to ignore me in Nesting Box and stick with Chickens and Eglu.

As the Topic headings should reflect their content, we shouldn't - from now on - upset anyone :D

Lesley

There's already a really good on-line reference section on this site. Check out the "Guide" button at the top if you haven't already done so. It's got everything on it I've needed to know so far and a lot of the queries people have posted on the forum could have been answered with a quick peek at the guide instead :wink: .

I think it gets very complicated as topics get mixed up in the different threads and sometimes the same topic is added with different names eg frozen and snow.

Maybe a tidy up would be a good idea

Nicki

I was saying, in answer to your point about a reference section, that there IS already a section on this site. It seems a shame for Eglu owners not to use the "Guide" section on the main site because a lot of work has obviously gone into it and it answers so many of the questions that are posted in the forum. I'm NOT having a go at anyone for asking things :cry: !

I agree that some of the topics have got rather untidy because we've got carried away on some points (I am as guilty of this as anyone else) and have watered down the topics. Maybe a bit of tidying up IS required and an archive section as Motherhen suggests might be a good way of doing this so that newcomers can access previous postings.

I haven't changed my opinions since that post.

:oops: Sorry Kate didn't mean to offend. The watering down aspect will prob always happen anyway. As natural conversation leads to othe questions being raised .. so I think it will be difficult for ALL of us to remian 100% focussed Also .. Snow, Ice Frozen chickens and Eglus all have a common denominator ... so will all cross, won't they! :?: .

A humble Sarah.

I agree with James about staying on topic. A lot of the pleasure from the forum is how informative it is. I was rather annoyed :x to have my topic changed into a chat between friends and your topic hijacked in the same way :!: Eh well - guess this will make me sound like a party pooper - but there you go!

Jo,

Strange you should say that because if you're talking about the topic you posted in this section (what do we have in common) - you were the first to go off topic by talking about fluffy chicken bottoms :wink: !

Whoooah :!: . WE are ALL to blame for not staying on topic, if you look closely enough .. its normal. I did it to "Glowing Sheep" as out of added interest I wanted to know why he was named this. I asked at the end of a post .. natural curiosity ... and also knew he would be more likely to see the :?: at a reply to a topic he had posted. I think you all would be more hacked off if I created a new topic .. "Why is glowing sheep so called!".

I think it will be very hard for All to stay on topic .. but as for tidying up would not object if my posts for Shredded paper/ shell colour etc were removed say 4 weeks after the last reply. Or have these in a reference section.

I have personally mailed Kate ... so lets all continue chat, on topic as best we can!!! :D

Sarah. (green eglu) with Ginger and Pepper GNRPP

I agree with Sarah - it is difficult to stay on topic when you think of things to ask, then read another thread and end up replying several times with the same info.

Maybe a time limit is the easiest way to file stuff - have some common themes and archive into them or delete after time.

eg I want to tell you - mine love cress so I've planted several punnets! Minds don't work in strraight lines like computers!

Nicki

My 2p... topics tend to drift, it's hard to get away from it. The whole idea is to share information so almost by definition topics will tend to 'spread out' as information gets added to a thread. How much people are happy with this depends on the members of the community and of course what the owners of the group / site are comfortable with. Sarah's question about our username is a digression that might interest/amuse some but equally could irriate others.

:idea: I'm sure others will have seen posts on newsgroups where the subject has been tweaked, eg by adding [OT] to indicate an off-topic post. Replies then stay under the same thread but people who aren't interested / don't have time to follow digressions or chat can more easily ignore such posts without missing out on any further 'on topic' info. Maybe we could use something like that that here? Eg In posting a reply there's a Subject box, I've put [OT] on this one, but I don't think this field currently gets displayed(?).

Re old threads - personally I'd prefer to see it left as it is, archive at most, but certainly don't delete. People are constantly joining and often they'll be after information that will have been discussed before and may be happy to lurk and search for it. I'd guess that this user 'self-service' aspect is partly why Omlet started the forum.

David