I have been following this thread - a clever idea!

I tracked down the PlastiDip at my local Lowes hardware store here in Utah. Thanks for the link to the company site - so much easier to wave a 'print page' of the product at hardware-store-guy, than to try to explain what on earth it is, that I want!

Got some hastily-disguised looks of surprise from hardware-store-guy, when I explained what I wanted it for, but I expect they get asked about unusual uses for products all the time!

I bought black - I guess we have all the black that was supposed to go to Virginia?- cos thats all there was yawn,yawn. I got it as a spray can - much easier to use than fiddling about with brushes & thinner - at least for the DIY-challenged like me.

I raided the playsand in the soon-to-be girls dust bath, to sprinkle over the first coat, to make the bars easier to grip. Drying time & 2 more coats and it was done!

It took me a while to decide to do this - as usual I dithered about worrying that it might be absorbed via the chickens' feet. Then I realised that this stuff is used to coat tool handles - tool handles held for long periods of time in sweaty human hands, that might even have scratches on the skin. This being the land of Sue-Anything-That-Moves, I think I might have read about the class action lawsuit by now, if the stuff was harmful!

The fumes though, are mighty harmful! Spraying in the backyard I had to protect myself. My neighbor got quite a shock when I came through the side gate. Latex gloves, OR booties & bonnet, OR mask + face shield, and contact-isolation gown AND a spray can in one hand . . . Good thing its Halloween coming up, she thought it was my costume!

Thanks for the idea - I bought an extra can, don't know how long it will stand up to cleaning?

Sarah

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it Sarah, as I am thinking of doing the same myself. I usually scrub the roosting bars with an old washing-up brush and some soapy water with tea tree oil, but the poo gets stuck and it's tedious.

I'll get my act together eventually and get round to ordering some :roll: I fancy the flourescent orange to go with my eglu, but they only seem to sell that colour in the larger sizes.