Laura & CTB

Calling all pekin / hybrid owners for advice

Okay, so last night was the third sleepless night in a row because I am STILL trying to make a decision as to which breed of chickens to get!

I can only have two hybrids (no room for run extension) but could have three bantams and fell in love with some photos of pekins (although I also fell in love with Ginette's Omlet chooks when I went to see them).

Now all these daft questions are going on in my head that I can't answer and so I turn to all you lovely people for help..........my eyes have bags that Tesco's would be proud of!

1. I get the impression from what I have read so far that the Meadowsweet hybrids are robust creatures whereas bantams are more delicate - is this the case?

2. The Omlet breed guide suggest bantams need grass ( I've only got what I grow in trays) is this true?

3. Generally speaking, are bantams more "affectionate" than hybrids?

4. I've read about hybrids laying all sorts of weird and wonderful looking things due to them being "egg producing machines", is it the same with pekins?

5. Would three bantams equal about the same amount of poo as two hybrids?

6. Do you agree that I am slowly driving myself nuts?

Hi Laura

I have 1 hybrid and 2 bantams in a standard run, so I'll try to answer your questions...

1. I get the impression from what I have read so far that the Meadowsweet hybrids are robust creatures whereas bantams are more delicate - is this the case?

Bantams usually aren't vaccinated (my supplier doesn't believe in it, preferring to breed hardy birds that can survive a bug or two :roll: ). My non-Meadowsweet hybrid died in the recent heatwave, but not of anything that a vaccine would cover, just tummy bug exacerbated by heat stress :(

2. The Omlet breed guide suggest bantams need grass ( I've only got what I grow in trays) is this true?

Mine are on bark. They do find the co"Ooops, word censored!"r bark a bit difficult to walk on, so I'm going to use a finer grade when I refill it. Aubiose would probably be better but we lack the storage space for bales of bedding.

3. Generally speaking, are bantams more "affectionate" than hybrids?

If you're looking for a bird that will tolerate being picked up, I think you'd be happier with a hybrid - bantams are quite friendly but hard to catch!

4. I've read about hybrids laying all sorts of weird and wonderful looking things due to them being "egg producing machines", is it the same with pekins?

Mine aren't laying yet, so I can't help with this one :(

5. Would three bantams equal about the same amount of poo as two hybrids?

Same or maybe less...

6. Do you agree that I am slowly driving myself nuts?

Welcome to the club :lol:

Poor thing :(

I could be mean and point out more-but maybe it would help?

that bantams lay smaller eggs,

seem to be more prone to broodiness

are kinder on lawns

can fit more in an eglu (is 3 the limit?)

the feathery legs don't get on well with mud (related to comment about grass?)

can be more flighty-but can clip wings of course

Can have strong characters

I'm sure ClareT would know more.

Hybrids sometimes lay strange things but on the whole they lay perfectly normal eggs it is just an occasional blip.

I have no real advise here,but as we are getting some bantams in a couple of weeks,am finding this really interesting.

Mine will be on Aubiose,which I hope will be fine.

I have one other question to ask,if that is OK........do the little ones eat the same layers pellets that my big girls do?

my pekins are really unfriendly and I can only catch them when they're broody. :cry: Which seems to be all the time. :x

If you want friendly chicken fun and egss and you can only have one or the other, I would either go for hybrids OR a smaller version of a good egg layer. Bantam Rhode Island Reds and Bantam light sussex lay well and are friendly little muppets, although less cute than Pekins obvo. Or you could get one hybrid and two pekins. Though I bet you the pekins would bully the hybrid :wink:

If you want eggs though I wouldn't bother with Pekins. they're lovely little eggs, but we don't get that many of them, they don't make good boiled eggs unless you're a toddler, and my two have been broody on and off for the last two months. So no eggs at all. Although Bob deposited one in the shrubbery yesterday that looked like a bullet.

It was the size of the eggs that swung it for me. I have a Bluebelle (Bluebelle) and a Blackrock PP .

Also when I looked into hybrids it appears that they (especially Blackrock) are particularly tolerant in all kinds of weather - a factor important to consider as we live in the North.

As with anything though all birds will have different personalities regardless of what you get.

Vera has been a liitle love from day one and will let anybody cuddle her where as Hilda is far more reserved and will only tolerate cuddles if there are treats around.

I am sure what ever you decide that will thoroughly enjoy keeping them and no you are not going mad I was just the same and I couldn't sleep the night before we collected ours - Enjoy! :D

My sister in law's Pekins are always broody, which is great if you want babies, but not if you want eggs. They are very cute though.

I've had a collection of bantams over the last few years - Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire Red, Welsummer, Scots Grey, Marans, Old English Game. A few were problems, but that's not the breed, just the individual bantam. I had to re-home a couple who were horrid bullies, but they are very well behaved in their new homes. I've also had two hybrids, who were gorgeous but were just too destructive and turned my bantam's garden to mud in days, so they went to our local pub to live with their free-range flock.

For hardiness, personality and eggs, I'd go for bantam versions of traditional breeds, plus a Pekin for cuteness. But you won't get any/many winter eggs, so what about one hybrid, one bantam and one Pekin? Or another eglu?!?!

Thanks for all replies so far.

Redfox - I will be using Aubiose as I already use it for the cat tray. I didn't know that bantam are hard to catch - didnt think of that one! :roll:

Chocchick - I'm not sure if it's a good thing or bad that I haven't got ANY lawn at all hence the having to grow it in trays (but means no mud either) :D

Cinnamon - In my hours of reading, I believe the Omlet pellets are smaller than standard and are okay for bantams (Oh, look at me fountain of all knowledge and I haven't even got any chickens :shock:

Aunty e - Didn't even consider half size chickens (another sleepless night) :wink:

Harveypup - glad it's not just me who gets no sleep. I cant get my chooks until September - heaven only knows what my "bags" will be like then :!:

For hardiness, personality and eggs, I'd go for bantam versions of traditional breeds, plus a Pekin for cuteness. But you won't get any/many winter eggs, so what about one hybrid, one bantam and one Pekin? Or another eglu?!?!

Sounds good but another Eglu? I'd need another garden - or I could chuck CTB's beloved motorbike out :twisted:

Hi ,

I have Two Chickens One Wyandotte and one Pekin Bantam . The Wyandotte one has always had problems and not as friendly but the pekin Bantam one no trouble at all. She is very friendly very easy going and no trouble at all . She looks beautifull and is not fussy.

Vida

I'd second the plug for miniatures of egg-laying breeds if you can't decide between hybrids and pekins - my Wyandottes are very pretty (they look like little Art Nouveau enamel hens :) ) and should be good layers when they're older.

Pics here (Angelica and Cicely):

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6237&start=5

Light Sussex bantams are also very pretty egg-layers, and would have been my other choice if the Hen House had had them in stock.

http://www.warrenphotographic.co.uk/photography/cats/06716.jpg

Sorry to have missed this. I have a mixture of miniatures and banties, I have two pekins and they are lovely little chooks with tons of personality. I have Aubiose in the run and they freerange round the garden during the day; and the pekins don't seem to have any trouble getting about compared with the others (you should note that pekins can differ in size - I have one small and one larger one).

They lay pretty well for pure breeds and the egg size varies form one chook to another; Lavinia my little lavender one lays eggs about 34-38g, wheras Lily is bigger and lays 50g eggs. The are noted to be good mothers and do tend to get broody, but having said that, one of my wyandottes is broody more often than the pekins and Lily the ig black pekin has never been broody. So I think that it varies from one hen to another.

I really love mine, they are so cute and cuddly with their funny waddling gait. I do hope that you choose to have some.

Lily (my big black pekin)

CIMG0635.thumb.jpg

Lavinia (small lavender pekin)

Lavinia.thumb.jpg

Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions.

Clare, I have to come clean - it was looking at your girls photos that got me thinking!! - but what's your opinion on this "having to catch them" thing???? It kinda puts me off a bit.

I have spent all day (at work :oops: ) trying to find a breeder in my area that sells miniatures but with no luck. I have managed to find a couple of pekin breeders though they cannot confirm yet whether they will have any at end of September.

To be honest, the standard hybrid option is looking easier..............

Sometimes they can be cheeky and run away, but I have them all trained to come when I whistle for corn, so they are easy to get then. When they are in lay, they crouch well and are easy to scoop up. I wouldn't say that they were any more difficult to get hold of than any ohter chook.

Have you looked at the ads in the back of p p magazine, and on the pekinbantams.com forum? they are both great for sourcing breeders. I would suggest posting a 'wanted' post on the pekin forum - that usually works :D

Good luck

PS they won't wreck your garden like bigger birds :D

Have you looked at the ads in the back of p p magazine, and on the pekinbantams.com forum? they are both great for sourcing breeders. I would suggest posting a 'wanted' post on the pekin forum - that usually works :D

Yes - I've been scouring P P breeders all afternoon. Did have a quick look at the pekin forum so may ask there - is it best to ask now or wait until September?? (Only thing is then - I'll have made a definate decision wont I :lol: )

Not too sure what you mean with that last question Laura - do you mean how soon do they mature to POL? They are laying around 20+ weeks, some a bit earlier.

I would put out some feelers on both the mentioned forums and see what comes back - no obligations at all. There are quite a few pekin breeders around, so you should be able to shop around and take your pick. Don't be worried about going to have a look at some and coming away empty handed - you should be choosy.

You're not massively near me, but if you fancy coming to see my girls, you'd be welcome, just PM me.

Many thanks for the kind invitation Clare, I'd love to come but cannot spare the time - as CTB is converting garden for chickens and I wouldn't want to have to stop him now I've got him on a roll :wink:

Sorry I didn't phrase my question very well, what I meant was if a breeder had some pekins for sale at say 11 or 12 weeks, would I be able to look after them okay while they were still growing to POL (bearing in mind I've never kept chickens before)? or do they have to be handled differently.

Hi,

I've got 4 pekins - I fell in love with their trousers - 2 are footballs and 2 quite slender.

There are more photo's in my out of dated blog too

I keep mine on bark - but will be moving them on to Auboise next time we do the run (only because we've run out of bark though).

Dhylis is the friendliest of them all - and does the shuffle when you go near her - so you can pick her up. (Dhylis is the mising girl in the photo as she was next to me when the photo was taken).

The others I can't pick up easily - but they do come running over when ever they see me - I've trained them well in that I = food.

They are really sweet girls, but in the 4 months I've had them - Penny has been broody for 10 weeks (continuously), and Sylvie has been broody twice (I caught her in time last week - so only on the next for 2 days - but no eggs yet from her.

They go through phases - in the fist month - I had over 70 eggs from them, but last week I only got 5 from all 4 chickens - and they were all from Dhylis - not sure what's up with Marj, but she goes from laying loads of eggs (10 in 12 days), to none.

One word of advice - if you do go for pekins - check their feet properly when you get them, as their trousers cover their toes so you can't just see if there is a problem.

Chickens_147.jpg

Edit, claret - I have sorted that link for you

Sorry I didn't phrase my question very well, what I meant was if a breeder had some pekins for sale at say 11 or 12 weeks, would I be able to look after them okay while they were still growing to POL (bearing in mind I've never kept chickens before)? or do they have to be handled differently.

Thanks for that. They would be easy to look after, but will need feeding growers mash/pellets rather than the layers type as they still need to grow before laying. So I would recommend buying small quantities of it from a supplier rtahr than a large sack as you can't be sure how long you'll need it for. They will be easy enough to look after and will settle down to be less skittish when they lay.

The invite is still there if you find yourself up the M40.