swindon_clucker

Best time for chooks?

Me my brother and my mum want to get 2 chickens and an eglu. Although the only thing stopping us is my dad he doesn't want anything o do with with pets altough we've got 2 cats and some fish. My mum say's what time of year is best for chickens although I think any time is good she'd like know from some chicken experts.

Thanks for any replys :D

No don't get a gander: the Eglu isn't big enough for geese :P

Chickens are good any time. But I would get them quickly now, so that you have lots of time to settle them down while the weather is warmer. I wouldn't recommend getting them between November and February, as it's too cold to get used to them as a new owner and enjoy them properly then.

No don't get a gander: the Eglu isn't big enough for geese :P

Chickens are good any time. But I would get them quickly now, so that you have lots of time to settle them down while the weather is warmer. I wouldn't recommend getting them between November and February, as it's too cold to get used to them as a new owner and enjoy them properly then.

That was my thinking - who really wants to spend a wet november in the garden, no matter how nice chickens may be?!

Hi Swindon_Clucker, nice to see someone local on the boards :)

Well I think Im getting My chooks end of september start of october time I think thats ok any ideas why not?

That'll be fine. You might not see much of them because you will be at school, and it'll be dark when you get back. Chickens go to bed(in the eglu) when it gets dark! :roll:

I'll order it on Friday, and say I want it 30 minutes ago, gawd aren't you lot slow, wheres my chickens - Blurry Hell etc :shock::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just joking.

I thought there'd be a set time - because some people are saying they waited a year or so for the Eglu and/or chickens. Unless I have gotten the wrong end of the stick?

Ummm, Lightworker, Yes, I think you're right...... you might have got the wrong end of the stick there :wink:

I can't recall anyone having to wait particularly long to have their eglu & chickens delivered, although we have a few members who have joined whilst saving up to buy an eglu, and consequently been waiting until they could afford one.

Omlet have a year round operation, and I'm pretty certain that you can have your eglu and hens delivered any time of year at all, and I think they probably quote something like 28 days delivery, but they do seem to be much, much quicker than that in most cases :D:D

There was a time when they had trouble keeping up with the demand and the lead time was longer, but it's sorted now and the time seems mainly to depend on where you live as they deliver to different areas on different days.

If you are in the Omlet delivery area, the chap who delivers the hens shows you how to look after them, clip their wings and will happily answer questions too.

Well, my son just got a cheque from his Solicitors today - an interim payment on behalf of the other parties insurers.

He had a nasty accident on his motorcycle on 31st October 05, and his leg is playing up, he's been stumbling for the last week because his knee keeps locking...

All he's been going on about is how he can now afford an Eglu - he's driving me crazy...

As much as we want one, without a garden it's just not practicle.... Its a shame, but I just don't think I could cope with moving - let alone the fact that the council won't give me enough points to move...

So all I can say is that we'll have to wait.... Either that or I build a small temperary Chook House and we buy the Silkie.