buffie

Allen and Page Ex Bats Feed - Supporting BHWT

Just to update on this softies topic, the feed has more calcium than the standard feeds and has been specially formulated to support the laying hens and prevent soft shells etc. What is really important is to keep any other foods/treats to a minimum, the feed is balanced to a hens nutritional needs.

It makes perfect sense to me as I don't give Daisie or our cats random bits of food, they have a really balanced diet. I've done treats and meal worms etc in the past but I now give the pellets as the only food for the day with a handful of corn ( ground fed) and a few greens late afternoon. No additives or tonics. Just wormed as and when required. They are really fit girls! :D When I want to sit and feed them, I grab a handful of the pellets and they rush to eat it from my hand :D:D

So I'd suggest sticking to one feed and not offering several options and also not to offer treats or corn ad lib. Any other concerns please do call the Careline and they'll be very happy to help. :D

Buffie x :D

I no longer need to place a special order with my pet shop for this, as demand is such he now keeps it in stock :dance:. The good news is obviously spreading! :D

I had still been giving my girlies tonic in their water so, having read what Buffie said above, I'll not continue that when the current bottle has been used. Not all of my little terrors are laying - Daisy I think has now retired and Moon is takng a well-earned break - but they are all very fit and healthy and the little baldies are feathering up a treat! :D

Well the girls have been on the Ex-batt crumbs for just over a week and all is going well and they seem to love it.

They seem to love the crumbs and egg laying is continuing as normal. If anything the Orps have upped their game and I think they have laid fourteen eggs in eight days and there is only two of them :D

We will keep going with it and i think i will have to pop into the feed shop and pick up a 5kg bag of pellets so i can pop their treat ball back in the run :D

however, the massive increase in curry poos is a side effect I could really do without :roll::lol: .

so I really am not imagining this then :think: It was the first thing I commented on. My only concern is that perhaps the food is very rich and giving them upset tummies :think: . In 3 years of chicken keeping I have never known curry poos like it :vom: nor the massive increase in the amount of them ...

however, the massive increase in curry poos is a side effect I could really do without :roll::lol: .

so I really am not imagining this then :think: It was the first thing I commented on. My only concern is that perhaps the food is very rich and giving them upset tummies :think: . In 3 years of chicken keeping I have never known curry poos like it :vom: nor the massive increase in the amount of them ...

So that's why they've been creating curry poos! I've been giving them pro and prebiotic to try to combat this... not a pleasant side affect really.

I'll do a comparison on ingredients tomorrow when I can look at both labels and see what the difference is.

funnily enough I was looking at this today. The Ex-bats feed is much higher in oil. 5.5% as opposed to 3.5% in Marriages (which is what I was using until I couldn;t get it locally anymore) and 4.8% in the normal smallholders range. I think this is probably the reason behind the extra curry poos.

The Ex-bats is 17% protein as is Marriages, SH is 16%. Also the fibre content varies considerably - 6.4% in the Marriages, 5% for the SH range and only 4.5% in the ex-bats range

I managed to get the food but had to drive to teynham gillet cook quite a way really about an hour want to find it closer.I have found that its increased the amount of eggs and there not getting throught as much may be its more filling for them.Ill use it if l can get hold of it l have managed to get a bag put by for me there getting it in the place is called

higham equestion

buckland farm

chalk road

rocheser

kent

me3 7jy phone number 01474 825009

they said if more people ask for it they will keep it in stock so please use this place if your near to there :dance:

ill report back if l have any problems :dance:

...and it means what exactly...I have to confess that the protein content etc confuses me, I know it's needed for energy and feather & egg production.....but what is the optimum level etc?

Could somebody explain it to noodle-noggin me please :anxious:

Sha x

So far as I know Sha, it will help them to re-feather and to gain new muscle growth, but an excess cannot be stored in their bodies for future use and must be excreted. I have been told that this can upset the bowl. *shrugs* that could be the cause of dodgy tums if fed over a long period but I'm only going on what I've been told.

I hope it dose not give them a dodgy tummy may be ill call allen and page to see what they say.I dont want to give them the wrong food.Ive got my normal hens on it as well as the ex battery girls.Im worried now :think: l have noticed the curry poos :vom: but thought it was just down to the nettles in the new food.

l found this information

Just some of the benefits of the Ex-Bats Range…

Increased high quality protein for strong, healthy feather growth.

Contains sources of Omega 3 oils for healthy joints, plumage and eggs.

Elevated Calcium levels help to guard against brittle bones and osteoporosis.

Boosted levels of Vitamin E provide extra anti-oxidants to help the body recover from stress and to ensure good health.

Protexin is included to ensure a healthy digestive system.

Higher levels of vitamins and minerals ensure that your hens are receiving everything they need for all their daily functions and to help boost the immune system.

Herbs such as nettle, fenugreek and garlic help to promote

weight gain, circulation and guard against infection.

thought it might help us all with a bit more info :dance: im going to call them tommorow as l was wanting to change to this foor permantly but dont want to cause and problems for my lovelt hens.So will letyou all know what they say.

Well l went to buckland farm to get my ex battery feed and they have loads of allen and page food there.I paid £10.90 which was not to bad and close by :dance: ive rung allen and page to ask about the feed and l cant get hold of them so ive emailed them.

I rung allen and page today and the very nice lady on the phone said that chickens do the odd curry poo every so often plus as there ajusting to the new food it can happen.Plus they can stay on the food long term.I did say that mine laid alot at first but seems to have gone down a bit she said they are proberly ajusting and it will level out.They also sent me an email :dance:

Dear Tara

Thank you for your enquiry.

I believe I have just spoken to you on the telephone, but thought I would confirm our discussion. Our Ex-Bats Pellets and Crumb are suitable for feeding to all poultry, not just Ex-battery hens, throughout their lives and there is no need to change over on to a standard layers feed. Generally poultry feeds are not suitable for feeding to waterfowl as some poultry feeds contain coccidiostats which are dangerous to waterfowl, however, as our mill is completely drug free, our poultry feeds DO NOT contain coccidiostats so they can safely be fed to ducks and geese as well.

I hope this helps you and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards