I meant to say Matt, that I put an old rug over the top of my Eglu when the temperatures dip and haven't had any trouble opening the hatch or pop hole despite the frost in the mornings. I take the water feeder into the house as well at night so it's not so cold for them in the mornings too as chickens don't like ice cold water.

Aagghh, Sarah...just promise to be good, would miss you too much! After all, we know how your illness may have left you feak & weeble.

:idea: I'll help you out by getting back on topic :!:

Good tips as usual Kate...I've been using an off-cut of carpet which had been in the garage for 6 years just in case it came in useful...which it did....I love defending my clutter saving against minimalists. As its a large piece I can open the door & port really easily & it provides a little dry porch (? no hanging baskets yet) over front of eglu.

Our house (& Aga) are so far out of bounds but don't know how long that will last. (I bring guinea pig in when O.H. isn't looking...(or acting as Eglu cover :evil: )

Looking forward to hearing more Matt & poss. seeing pictures. Oh, :idea: & once the girls are locked up, I take the water in a bring it out fresh in the morning.

8) I love guinea pigs .. was a toss up between two G.pigs or Chooks .. decided the hens were more productive, but the G.pigs less destructive, as it appears :wink: .

SHEILA WROTE

Our house (& Aga) are so far out of bounds but don't know how long that will last. (I bring guinea pig in when O.H. isn't looking...(or acting as Eglu cover )

See Lesley, I am practicing the "quote" thingy ... just hope this works now :oops: .

Nope ... seems I am just mucking it up abit :!: i

Edited by Guest

Now that was a good attempt at a quote Sarah (thats not written in a condescending voice, honest.)

You see, I haven't even done one yet. Had a go but gott v.confused & gave up.

So your 1st attempt was brilliant...

...except it should say SHEILA WROTE (not Trish)

but I'll let you off as you like my guinea pig.

Don't you just love it when that happens!

That sentence could look really weird if someone sends a post before me, better be quick.

But don't you just hate it when people (Sarah) edit their mistakes ages later so that any following corrections look really, really dim. Thanks :roll:

I know, Lesley. I was only teasing! :wink: (O.H. never knows when I'm joking and we've been together a LONG time)

Or perhaps my jokes aren't funny.

But anyway, if I delete one of mine it could make someone else look really, really dim instead.

:idea: So, worth a try then :twisted:

I've just used a small tarpaulin from Machine Mart (I think) for a fiver, it's DP (Disruptive pattern, otherwise Camoflage for the unitiated) and held in place with the summer shade over the bottom, and a large bungee looped right over the top half. The Eglu is against a South facing fence, and this shade goes to the floor on the fence side (The Northern face) and leaves one third open along the southern side, and is long enough to go all the way to the bottom, and cover the top of the Eglu itself over the door handle. You just fold it out of the way to use the door, as the long bungee is fitted across the cage just meeting the eglu. I've folded the tarp in half lengthways, it doesn't look wonderful but the hens have a large dry area to scratch on and although they do hang about in pouring rain, they can at least preen in the dry, afterwards. And for a fiver, plus a bungee or string plus pegs, it's cheep cheep ( :oops: sorry!).

btw, the Eglu is situated with the house on the left, and the fence 'behind', so the door hing is against the cold northern air, rather than it getting in through the slightly open door. I have to lean over to get the eggs out (when the bloomin' hens bother to use it, of course) but that's no bother. This setup should be ice proof and wind proof.. A big blob of vaseline on the egg port edges (and door) might help stop that from freezing.

8) That was skilfully back on topic, Helen, we did drift off a bit back in March, didn't we.

Unusually for us:wink:

But good to have it refreshed now that the weather is turning. Your Eglu set up sounds great. I need to re-instigate my carpet porch if I can find it.

Especially as we have just had some wet stuff falling from the sky. Strange...only seen it once or twice before in the last few months but I guess there could be more to come.

Especially as I've just found it coming through the bathroom light fitting (new roof :roll::twisted: doesn't work then.)

Sounds dangerous, better dash...

But at least the Eglu is warm & dry! 8)