I read the thread earlier about how warm is my house, so i decided to try it for my self., i too have one of those weather gauge thingys, i have one in the garden, one in the front room and one in the conservatory, i have put the one from the conservatory in the Eglu that was this afternoon, i have just looked at the temp and it was 5.2 in the garden, and 7.9 in the Eglu, and that reading was read at 7.55pm. so it is warmer, not quite warm enough for me, but they normally snuggle up together so hopefully they will be nice and warm,

I will look again in themorning, and post again, to see if it dropped anymore. x

Hi, I don't keep chickens but I do have an Eglu. It's suppose to be nice & cosy in winter and cool in the summer. So your chickens should be safe and sound.

Andy:)

Only having had my chickens 2 weeks and with the weather already turning wintery with frost and snow - can anyone tell me what sort of temperatures the chickens can withstand in their egloe? My chickens Thelma and Louise have settled in so well and the thought of waking up one morning and finding them frozen to their perch is a bit worrying so if anyone can put my mind at rest over this I would then be a happy chappie!!

Thanks

Sue :?:

Hi Sue, I've moved this posting out of the nesting box because it seemed to fit in the Eglu section better.

Hope you don't mind and that I haven't caused offence :wink: .

Anyone looking for a posting about how warm Eglus are will find it easier in this section than in the Nestbox.

Cheers, Kate (moderator) :D

I have a mark 1 with a mesh floor.

I wouldn't bother puting anything underneath if I was you, your girls will be fine :D The poop tray covers most of the mesh anyway.

The mesh which isn't covered by the poop tray might get messy if one of your Chickens decides to roost near the door. The poop dries onto the mesh and you will either have to push it out through the bottom of the Eglu or pick it off :shock: When I remember :roll: I extend the newspaper in the poop tray to cover the mesh.

hello, i have 3 bantams in my eglu and i also worried about my girls..so i popped a hot water bottle wrapped around a tea towel for them to snuggle upto one night i forgot as i was out and they were ok in the morning i have been told that chucks are like little duverts on legs so they will adapt to the cold weather....if your worried then maybe put the coop part of the eglu in garage at night to keep the cold off it....hope that helps ... (green eglu)(Bluebelle) patsy PP margo GNR barbara... xx