Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

There seem to be a few of us with cunning walk in run plans at the moment :D .

I had a thought that it might be nice (and very useful) if we all charted our progress/thoughts/ideas/questions in a single thread (there seems to be lots appearing in all kinds of different threads which might be difficult to keep track of).

I'll go first :D .

I want:

a 3m x 2m run with my eglu inside (might have to cut down a tree though!)

a table for the eglu with a hatch for the poo tray and the egg port

the door to open inwards to prevent escapees

a sloping roof (perhaps with guttering) with plastic covering

Questions:

Am I OK just putting the run on a rectangle of concrete slabs so I've got a patch of earth for them to scratch about in?

Should I go to the expense and bother of planning how to fit a second eglu in (with appropriate doors/hatches)? I may never get one :? .

How are people planning to shelter the sides from the elements? I'm going with Tessa the Duchess's idea of roll down "blinds" at the moment.

Its exciting isnt it? :dance:

I was planning a similar size but may now make it narrower and longer as my garden is long and narrow!

I will have an opening out door so I can have strips of wood inside to 'stop' the door being pushed inwards by Mr Fox but will put a couple of planks of wood across at the bottom so the girls cannot run out easily when I open the door. I will need to step over but will make the planks 'slide in' so that I can remove them to make cleaning easier (that doesn't mean that an opening in door isnt a blooming good idea and fantastic if there is a space issue!)

Making it narrower doesn't necessarily mean you couldnt have two Eglus and extend the length of the run in future, you could have the Eglus as 'bunk beds' as per someone's suggestion the other day or have two platforms one at each end of the run with the door on the long side

I am also concerned that the chooks will all pile in to one Eglu if I get more girls

My Eglu 'table' will most likely be made out of a pallet! A plastic kids picnic/play table may do the trick nicely though

There will be a square of lino under the Eglu to make it easier to swivel and access through a hatch

I love the idea of a shelf so will include one

I am considering putting the frame up then rolling my weldmesh around the whole lot horizontally so I don't have any weak points where panels join low down, this has the disadvantage of meaning that the run cannot be easily dismantled if I move.

my weldmesh is 1in x 1in 19 gauge and will be attached using a heavy duty staple gun (proper U shaped staples) and also hammered in staples for extra strength. I am not sure if its better to have the mesh on the outside or inside of the panels

I am not sure about the roof but I am worried that plastic panels would make the run quite hot as our back garden is in the sun most of the day

Your idea of guttering is a good one, I hadn't thought of that

Roll down side covers are a good idea even if only on the side where the rain and wind are the worst

I am putting my run on slabs, I was considering a rectangle of slabs as that would be far cheaper however I did read a post where someone was saying they regretted doing this and wish their run was completely slabbed so now I am not sure :?

Sorry for the long post! :oops:

when I was considering keeping the eglu, hubby was going to design a turn table for the eglu to sit on, so you turn it very easily to remove the poop tray. He said this was easy enough. Just thought I would share his inspiration now I am now using the idea ;):lol:

I also thought about a 'lazy Susan' type of thing but had visions of the Eglu spinning around and the chickens playing on it (have slightly disturbed mind :roll: )

Its a great idea though, you would just need to get the level of resistance right, the Eglu is weighty enough so it could work well :D

I also thought about a 'lazy Susan' type of thing but had visions of the Eglu spinning around and the chickens playing on it (have slightly disturbed mind :roll: )

I just splattered Lemsip at my screen then :lol: :lol:

I think you could have a locking system of some type :think:

I will have an opening out door so I can have strips of wood inside to 'stop' the door being pushed inwards by Mr Fox

Hadn't considered that :shock: . A "stepover" would be a good idea :) .

I am also concerned that the chooks will all pile in to one Eglu if I get more girls

If they're all happy to sleep in one eglu, perhaps extra nesting boxes would be a cheaper alternative? We could make something quite substantial out of a wooden box. Trouble is, then we'd have to go into the run to collect eggs (something I'm trying to avoid by having an egg hatch.

My Eglu 'table' will most likely be made out of a pallet! A plastic kids picnic/play table may do the trick nicely though

Do you plan to raise the eglu or have it floor level? I've got an ELC table in the attic :D:dance: . Hadn't even thought about it! Perhaps I could put that on a pallet to raise it up if need be.

There will be a square of lino under the Eglu to make it easier to swivel and access through a hatch.

Hmm :think: . How easy is it to swivel an eglu? This might save me the cost of an extra poo tray hatch. A plastic table would allow for swivelage, wouldn't it?! Loopyloo, have you got any pictures? Not that my OH could build something like that :roll::( .

I am not sure if its better to have the mesh on the outside or inside of the panels.

I've been thinking about attaching perspex or similar to the outside bottom half. If the mesh was on the outside of the panels, the perspex would fit flush and I wouldn't get hemcore getting trapped in the gap.

I am not sure about the roof but I am worried that plastic panels would make the run quite hot as our back garden is in the sun most of the day.

I'm hoping that as the roof is quite high up, the heat would dissipate before reaching chook level! They'd have lots of ventilation through the sides too.

Your idea of guttering is a good one, I hadn't thought of that

Not mine, it's an option on Aviaries4u :) .

I am putting my run on slabs, I was considering a rectangle of slabs as that would be far cheaper however I did read a post where someone was saying they regretted doing this and wish their run was completely slabbed so now I am not sure :?

I wonder why? I hope we can find out the reason - I really like the idea of bare soil for the girls to scratch in.

Another thought I'd just had (my head's spinning with them :roll: ). What do you think about just putting two full size doors in? That would mean easy removal of eglu for cleaning, access to poo tray and egg port and the option to move things around in future. You could block off the bottom behind the table/raised pallet to prevent escapes (and create a cosy nestbox area in the process 8) . Tell me if you think that's daft :oops::) .

I'm so impressed that you're building your own run BTW 8)

:lol: my husband doesn't work with pictures as such ANH, he has it all in his head and says trust him! :lol::roll:

If you got a carpenter to come in and build your run custom for you you could put a turntable in as a request.. (with locking system so hens dont have a roundabout moment)

sorry Tasha!! :lol:

I do know a chap who did some work for my mum (grr!) and also for us. I'll need to see if he's still around!

I like the idea of Aviaries4U because it would all come ready to put up, rather than having a "stranger" building something and it not being quite right :? .

I'm loathe to put a concrete base in as there are a couple of bushes and a clematis I think it would be nice to have growing inside the run. Also, I don't find the soil a problem in the eglu run so I don't imagine it should be any different in a walk in run :) .

I feel like a chook on an eglu turntable, my head's spinning :roll::wink::lol: .

Two full sized doors is not a bad idea, my plans are to have the second (Eglu hatch) door about 1m high rather than full size but there is no reason you couldnt have it full size and this would help with poo picking under the table if they like to congregate there!

The Eglu table would need to be about 70cm-1m from the floor for me to be able to comfortably bend across and reach it, I have vague ideas about a similarly sized table outside to drag it on to for cleaning and even vaguer ideas about boxing in under the outside table to make a chest to put chicken supplies in :roll:

I thought I could have wood around the bottom and maybe even up to as much as half way up on the windy side. You could use greenhouse shading to keep the worst of the wind and rain out if you want to cover whole panels as that allows for air circulation. Tarps or canvas panels with bungee grips on would work well too as they could be stretched tight.

The perspex is a good idea and like you say is smooth so wont get gunged up!

Plants are a lovely idea and will provide interest and shade

I wouldn't be too impressed about my attempts to build it myself, this is a pic from a month ago and its still like this now :oops: (I'm blaming the weather!) one thing is for sure it will not be a pretty run :(

S6004557-1.jpg

You'll go around and around like I did!.. :lol:

If you like Avaries4U why not ask him if can design a turntable? I am sure he would be more than capable! ;)

It was easier for me to have a list of the things I did NOT want, rather than I did as I was just happy to have a walk in :lol:

This time the base is purely to help me manage. Ideally I would love them on soil, but they are out everyday with me so they get to dig around! ;) and this cuts out any rat problem as we were having holes appear!

The two full sized door option is a good one, however when you are building your run out of set sized panels like mine is the 'door' is a panel also, so would not be able to be a double door... unless you made a larger door panel to allow double doors and then inset that in with your other panels. I hope I am making sense. :roll:

I am full of cold so tell me to shuddup if I am not.

Err, I think you're making sense :?:wink: .

I plan (at the moment) to have the doors at opposite ends - one on the far right on the long side, the other on the right side of the short side. Does that make sense!?

I'm at the point of no return - I've submitted a query for a quote from Aviaries4u :anxious::anxious::anxious: . (And I've mentioned the turntable idea!!!)

I have just dug out the email quote I had from Aviaries4U and I asked Tony to quote me for a 8 x 5 ft run which he did so it looks like non standard panels are perfectly possible and you can specify exactly what size you need.

It will be interesting to see what he says about the turntable (or 'chicken roundabout' :lol: )

How did this thread get so long, and I've only just found it (been out cleaning the Cube and sawing wood for a couple of hours, though).

I am planning a rectangle of slabs with earth in the middle, ANH - can't see why it would be any worse than the mud-patch they're on at the moment! I am considering whether to invest in weed-proof membrane and rubber chips though, they sound like a good solution.

I will need to clear the area and lay slabs first, that may take some time, so I'm not going for a quote yet. I have a rectangular area between the greenhouse and a border of shrubs, and with the fence at the back (short side) and a concrete path at the front short side. It's big enough for a run, but wouldn't leave room to have the Cube outside as well.

I could just build a run to fill the whole area, but I really wanted the Cube outside so I can empty poop trays and collect eggs without having to go into the run every time. Also it would be easier to wheel it away for cleaning. I could just do a shorter run (2m x 2m) and have the Cube at the back, but I was wondering about an L-shape, i.e. it would be 2m wide at the front short end, 3m long up the right-hand side, but then only 1m wide at the back, so effectively there's a 1m 'square' cut out of the top left. I hope you're still with me! Then I could put the Cube in there, sideways on - that would leave room to empty poo trays and open the egg-port. I wouldn't be able to shut the door, as that side would be close to the mesh, but I only do that in freezing weather anyway.

Is this bonkers - should I just have a big run and put the Cube right inside?

Funny, I was thinking about a 1m "cutout" too so I wouldn't have to remove a tree!

Instead, I've asked Tony if he can do 2 1/2m x 2m to avoid the tree :) .

Could you put an Aviaries4U run straight onto soil, does anyone know? I have a garage wall down one long side, part of the patio with a one brick high wall down one short side so wonder if I could just lay slabs as a path round the 2 other sides?

We've never had a rat problem & that's basically what the eglu is on so it would make life much easier (and cheaper as I already have the slabs).

Olly - Could you perhaps cut a small hole in the mesh for the door handle so you could operate the handle from inside the run if it got very cold? If the side of the cube is sgainst the mesh nothing should get through the small hole.

If you had the cube inside the run you could have some access hatches (if you have enough room to get at them)

ANH - you could put it straight on the soil ok but it would last longer if its on something else. If you dont want slabs under the edge you could put it on top of a frame of 'sacrificial' wood such as fence posts laid horizontally or maybe concrete gravel boards. The path sounds really handy.

Edited to add: ANH - have you considered leaving the garage wall side without panels to save money and have the run three sided?

Im planning a walk in run/ free ranging area. We've already screened off the back of the garden using bamboo screening and intend to use this to make the rest of the run. One side will be out exsisting garden fence. I'm thinking of possibly using trellis with netting over for a door and making a netting roof. The area will be approx 4 metres wide and 6-7 M long.

I plan to use tent pegs at the bottom of the screening to help weigh it down and prevent tunneling and may use some slabs to.

Im then planning on saving up for a cube.

ANH - you could put it straight on the soil ok but it would last longer if its on something else. If you dont want slabs under the edge you could put it on top of a frame of 'sacrificial' wood such as fence posts laid horizontally or maybe concrete gravel boards. The path sounds really handy.

I'm just nervous about getting the slabs level enough for the run to sit on :? . I do have loads of odds and ends of slabs which I could put down on the wall side but they would just be resting on bare soil so would they be level enough? I'm probably being daft. The run would be solid enough to sit properly even if the slabs were a bit wonky - wouldn't it :? ?

Edited to add: ANH - have you considered leaving the garage wall side without panels to save money and have the run three sided?

I did think about that. I'd have to anchor it to the garage wall somehow. Do you think the run would be stable and the roof would be well enough supported? I'd need to ask Tony for his opinion, I suppose.

I did think about that. I'd have to anchor it to the garage wall somehow. Do you think the run would be stable and the roof would be well enough supported? I'd need to ask Tony for his opinion, I suppose.

Yes it would need to be attached to the wall but that would be a good idea even if its four sided

My guess is that Tony would make the roof as normal but you would have to attach a batten to the garage wall to support it

The runs seem to be well built and heavy so a slightly wonky foundation my not be massive problem as long as there isn't enough room for anything to squeeze under