Ain't Nobody Here

We're all planning walk in runs! Let's share!

Well, I think they've seen the error of their ways :twisted: . Robert called tonight to say he thinks my plan will work. He said he hadn't quite worked out in his head while he was here where it was all going. He's obviously studied my meticulously prepared architectural drawings and decided I do know best after all :whistle: . He's even said we only need 3 sides :dance: . So I'll get a quote after the weekend :) .

(I got the impression the wife was involved in the business - although maybe she's just so bossy she can't keep her nose out :roll: .)

Strangely, I was even starting to consider their plan :oops: .

I've only just come across this thread! How exciting! I'm going to hop on board!! :D

I've been planning my run for a while... It's so expensive though- I'm having trouble convincing OH! :wall:

I started off with a lengthly moaning campaign about the difficulty of getting in and out of the cube run door. I've recently stepped things up by saying that I won't be happy about taking weekends away in the summer until we have a WIR. :boohoo:

Then, very helpfully yesterday morning, a handsome fox was spied sauntering around the field. :anxious:

I've had a quote from Aviaries4U but it was over £600 including the carriage :shock: ! OH was not impressed! Spluttered something about making it ourselves... I've pointed out that he's too busy and it will never get done so am thinking of ways to cut down on the cost.

Anyway, a minor breakthrough... we are venturing outside with a tape measure this afternoon! Might have to rethink the size... was hoping for a 4x2.5m run with sloping roof... if only we could cut down on the delivery cost!

Wish there was somebody like Aviaries4U in the South West!!

Groovychook, have you seen the rdbirds link up above. I had a chat with him yesterday and he's a lot cheaper.

It's not as pretty as the A4u runs and it's slightly thinner wood but it's all I can afford...

Yes, thanks! I did have a look at the link... I'm just concerned because we get really high winds down here and we're surrounded by open countryside with little protection. :anxious:

I was thinking that although expensive, an A4U run might stand up to the elements a bit better! Haven't made any firm decisions yet though so I'll keep them in mind! :)

Groovychook, have you seen the rdbirds link up above. I had a chat with him yesterday and he's a lot cheaper.

It's not as pretty as the A4u runs and it's slightly thinner wood but it's all I can afford...

Yes, thanks! I did have a look at the link... I'm just concerned because we get really high winds down here and we're surrounded by open countryside with little protection. :anxious:

I was thinking that although expensive, an A4U run might stand up to the elements a bit better! Haven't made any firm decisions yet though so I'll keep them in mind! :)

Certainly would, the A4U runs are much thicker wood and look significantly better.

Hi everyone, I'm just coming to the end of building my walk-in run. I did have a thread about it a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, I finally got the eglu attached today.

It's cost me about £200 altogether, which I'm quite pleased about.

I don't seem to be able to get a good picture of it from any angle though!

P2130012.jpg

P2130013.jpg

I think I shall be adding bits to it all summer though. I need to improve the sand pit as they haven't twigged it's their dust bath yet. I want to put some more perches in. I had to buy a prop for the roof this week as it was caving in under the weight of the snow. I need to put some guttering and a water butt on etc etc

Hi everyone, I'm just coming to the end of building my walk-in run. I did have a thread about it a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, I finally got the eglu attached today.

It's cost me about £200 altogether, which I'm quite pleased about.

I don't seem to be able to get a good picture of it from any angle though!

P2130012.jpg

P2130013.jpg

I think I shall be adding bits to it all summer though. I need to improve the sand pit as they haven't twigged it's their dust bath yet. I want to put some more perches in. I had to buy a prop for the roof this week as it was caving in under the weight of the snow. I need to put some guttering and a water butt on etc etc

How did you manage to attach the Eglu to the run on the outside? I've got my run panels arriving in a few days and haven't a clue!

Thanks!

that looks great Bantambabe!, :D I dont think there any harm in adding things as you use it, I will probably do that myself! :lol:

I will probably be posting completed pictures of my run at the weekend. The guttering is up and it's amazing how complete it makes it look! :shock:

The eglu is sitting on a piece of plywood which sticks out from the patio. I screwed a baton across the panel and then screwed the plywood to that. I cut the mesh on the panel to the shape of the eglu (I cut it a bit longer at the bottom and rolled it over the baton before screwing down the plywood.

I then got some more weldmesh and attached it to the run bolts on the eglu, posted it through the hole in the panel mesh and spread it out, joining it to the panel mesh.

P2130015.jpg

That picture doesn't really help - hang on, I'll go and take one from the inside.....

oh bum, photobucket is playing up.... hang on...

P2130011.jpg

P2130013-1.jpg

Hope that helps, it's a bit heath-robinson, but all my own work! Is that something to shout about I wonder :oops::oops:

It's 9' by 6' ANH (give or take a bit for the wonky edges). My neighbour tells me she's noticed how much happier the girls look and sound :shock::lol:

I'm going for roughly 7.5' by 6' so a bit smaller but hopefully big enough! Amazing that your neighbour has commented on that :shock: . Brilliant though, as that's what we're all doing it for after all :lol: .

Have to admit Chris that at the moment I've just bent the mesh funnel from the eglu back inside the run against the panel mesh and held it together with lots of cable ties. I'm planning to "sew" some wire though the mesh right the way around so that its held secure all around. I wasn't sure whether I wanted it to be too permanent incase I wanted to take the eglu off - then it dawned :doh: I can detach it at the eglu bolt end :clap:

I did ask the neighbour if they were "too noisy" - but she wasn't complaining. Since she runs the village shop and her papers/milk are delivered very noisily at 5am each day she'd be on a sticky wicket complaining about a few bokboks. :lol:

We are planning our WIR as we would feel happier knowing our girls were safe in there with loads of room when we are all at work/school/college. They free range in the garden when we are at home. Also feel it will be a better set up for when my Mum is due to House/Chicken sit in the hols.

We would like a concreted paving slab area to accommodate a 12' by at least 6' WIR with cube on slabs as well to the side butted up to run with ladder on inside (maybe using the wood platform idea another omleteer has already). So sort of a L shaped slabbed area bigger than run + cube by a bit so can use excess for plants in pots etc and have seats down there for bonding/chicken watching purposes. Decided to keep the cube outside as easier for egg collection and door opening /closing morning and night. 1"x 1" 16g weldmesh panel sides and roof with corrogated clear plastic roof on top set at a slight slope to allow water to drain into guttering which will either go into the ditch at the end of the garden (Hubby's idea) or maybe I'll do the waterbutt idea. Full head height of approx 6' to allow all chicken owning family members to take their turn at cleaning out. Skirting board type contraption about 6"high all way round to prevent Hemcore or equivalent leaking everywhere. Plus perspex end about 3' (possibly semi permanent for when it's nice) to give them a windbreak. Build in perches and hanging food beams to utilise. Full door opening outwards. :whistle:

A local chap who does stuff at work and has done things for colleagues has been to look just waiting on his quote. :D

Love to know your thoughts on our plans have I missed anything?

That sounds pretty comprehensive to me, MitchB! The only thing I've noticed Aviaries4U mention is a high shelf inside the run to keep things on, which I thought was a good idea. Sounds pretty thorough otherwise!

I am still undecided on size, shape etc and haven't had a chance to get up the garden and survey the site again.