Old Speckled Hen

Moderation

we...................ll how many of us can hold our hands up to opening our email and finding a MODERATION message ....scarey. :roll::roll::roll:

What does it take to be a mod?

Is it in the genes? Is it a vocation?

Is it WHO you know?

Is it voluntary or mandatory?

It can't be numbers of posts ...Tom has only 5

Egluntine has squillions and is not moderate ...if you know what I mean.

Is it a job any of us lower order omleteers might aspire to?

Just idle chat :|:|:|

I hope I can answer some of these questions.

When it was first decided that we need help with the moderating (Kate was doing it all on her ownsome up til then) a few of us volunteered.

Some became moderators right away,& some, myself included, went on a waiting list to help out in the future.

There have been a few changes, some mods have decided to go back to enjoying the forum as a forum member & some of us who were on the list now moderate.

When its thought that we need more help all the people who have come forward are considered equally & without prejudice....it most certainly is NOT who you know,but certain communication skills are looked for :)

I think I can speak for the team when I say that its not always an easy job, but its fun & we all enjoy it.

Any major forum issues are discussed between the whole group of us, & we try to be fair & as consistent as possible in our moderating. As the forum gets bigger it gets a bit of a tougher job & there is much more to it than just scaring you all with pms :wink::lol:

Tom has only a few posts because he works at Omlet HQ & is only on the forum infrequently, like Hannes, James, Jerry & the rest of the chaps.

Oh & we try not to be too scary!!! :lol:

Thankyou Poachedegg we try our best ... :)

Like Sarah says when the froum was very small we only needed one moderator then as it grew Omlet asked for volenteers and at the time the people who were picked were the ones that were on the forum the most. We now have a list of people who want to become moderators and if anybody decides to leave the team then they will be approached, it certainly isn't down to who you know infact i have only met a few of the other moderators.

I agree with sarah in saying that it isn't always easy but i do enjoy doing my job and hopefully making the forum a friendly place for others........ :)

we...................ll how many of us can hold our hands up to opening our email and finding a MODERATION message ....scarey. :roll::roll::roll:

:lol: Whereas, none of us are at all scarey people (well mostly, there's always an exception :wink::lol: ) and receiving a message from a mod. doesn't necessarily mean something's wrong. Mostly it's just for reference to a small edit.

However, I do remember that initial feeling when opening one, so I know what you mean. But our messages are just communications, not criticisms. Sometimes edits are necessary, so we do this objectively.

We're volunteers who share a common purpose in keeping the forum running smoothly. But it's also the members here who keep this such a fun and informative place.

Happy Omletting everyone. :D

Egluntine has squillions and is not moderate ...if you know what I mean.

I'll assume that is a typo.....or maybe it is because I am a Daily Mail reader.

:shock: I hadn't noticed that turn of phrase when I read it.

Oops, a typo I should think. :lol:

I daren't edit it & send DA a scarey pm.... :lol:

oooops

Did it on purpose ... you caught me.

Wondered if anybody would spot it.

Egluntine, you are the most moderate person I do not know on this forum.

To all the mods ...... I think you do a wonderful job. :clap::clap:

*walks in with tail between his legs* :wink:

Sorry, I use the forum for work at HQ and need access to certain areas. The easiest way for that was to give me 'Super Mod status'. I will try and post more often DA :D:D

Ah now up to five then :clap::clap::clap:

I certainly wouldn't find it an easy job :anxious::? . I take my hat off to those who do it :clap: . They must do a good job because this forum works really well, with only very rare "contretemps". Obviously that's also down to the fact that chicken keepers are lovely people :whistle::angel: .

Jackie, whaddya mean, you're not 'pooter literate :shameonu: . I see you've managed to change the colour of your signature :dance::clap::dance::clap::wink: .