One Man Banned

How DO you solve a problem like Maria?

Who should be Maria?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be Maria?

• Connie
    • Siobhan
    • Helena

Yep! Poor Richard, he was so upset! I was really glad that Mrs Rivett made the others help him clear it up.

And Richard said today that the nettle soup was actually OK - and he's the boy who is an extremely fussy eater and was sick on the train down to the farm!

The transformation in them has been amazing and very quick. I think they are really enjoying it, even though there a bits they don't like!

BTW, and entirely off the original topic, but children and evening meals has reminded me.... daughter is transfixed about some TV programme about evacuees. The last programme she watched featured them cooking (and eating) nettle soup..... so just guess what we're all eating tonight, nettles being abundant in our garden. I'm not actually looking forward to it one little bit, but she started preparing it yesterday whilst I was at work, and I don't feel that I can refuse after she's put so much effort into it :shock::?

We're watching this programme too - very interesting and entertaining! Kate, how did the soup turn out? I've made nettle soup several times, Lizzy loves it and wants me to make a big batch for the freezer! I served it up for a group of friends earlier this summer and didn't reveal the 'special' ingredient until after everyone had said how delicious it was!! I think the trick is t :lol: o pick the tender, young leaves. The only trouble is, every time I'm out walking or cycling, I'm on the lookout for the perfect outcrop of nettles! :lol: (Which results in much :roll::roll::roll::lol: )

Just spotted this topic.....can't talk to anyone at home about it :roll:

I wanted Connie to win from the first time I saw it...but did like Abi too. Can't stand Siobhan, especially after the eye rolling mouth gaping 'did I really get into the final after all' yuk she did when Aoife went out. Don't like Helene much either....though she did sing brilliantly the last couple of weeks.

Hmmmm.

Guess what I'll be watching this weekend....

Can you buy the original video anywhere without having to order it? Kind of think I might have to make the kids watch it.....after all, I had to suffer it at their age (could be because I went to a convent and it was a film the nuns approved of....really!! :twisted: ). It's only since I left school that I actually grew to like the film!

Sophie

oops, just read the last few posts and realised you've gone completely off topic by the time I've joined you.... :oops: Have I brought it back on line again?

No, maybe not......cos thinking about meal times with kids, why is it that three year olds only ever want to discuss dog poo when you're eating chilli? Or is that just a fixation my particular three year olds have all had..

Hope it's not a reflection on my cooking....didn't think of that :cry:

Sophie

have you tried "londontheatredirect.com" I bought mamma-mia a month ago on there and got really good seats....they arent the cheapest but got really good seats near the stage.

another excellent site which will give you tips on the best seating areas in ALL theatres is theatremonkey.co.uk

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I am thrilled! :D:D:D

Connie is the best. But I'm also thrilled because I could identify in her my own feelings. She loves The Sound of Music and understands Maria. I went to see the film when it first came out :oops: and embarrassed my mother totally in the opening sequence! The cinema was treated to two Marias singing 'The hills are alive' and I was (I think) 7! I would still love to play Maria, but sadly I never have and I'm too old now! :(

Still, I dropped big hints tonight about being taken to Salzburg to celebrate our Silver Wedding anniversary in 2010! And possibly off to stay in the Von Trapp hotel in Vermont as well! 8)

And I bought a signed copy of Maria's autobiography this week! :D:D8)

Helena was in standard form until she did "Do-Re-Mi" which was brilliant! It made my spine tingle and she really bought it to life. If she had won at that moment then I would have been fine - but then she came back out and did one of her own choices and she was back to normal - not even deserving to be in the top three.

Connie was lovely. She is so strong and talented and KEEN! I think her attitude to the job and the whole project sets her aside from the others. The right person won! Hurrah!

PS

Just one thing - Is it me or does she look just a bit like Maureen Lipman? :shock::lol::lol:

That's interesting Dan! I thought 'Do-Re-Mi' was absolutely awful! I felt her voice was just too full-on and trilly for a song which is meant to be teaching children about music.

Yes, you're right Connie does look like Maureen Lipman. But I was also struck that her speaking voice is very like Julie Andrews' and her singing voice has the same clarity too.

I am so thrilled for her! :D

It was the right result for me too! :D Connie was always the one with the talent and the personality. Like Dan, I felt compelled to put in a vote too, in fact, I think I accidentally sent the text twice! :oops: Also encouraged Lizzy and Cathy to vote; they love the film, have watched it hundreds of times from a very early age and know the songs very well. They picked Connie out from the beginning. 8)

Glad you guys have posted. I watched the first bit, then fell asleep and missed the final.

I saw Connie sing the yodalling song - top banana :clap: Wasn't she just brilliant. She is just lovely all round and will play a perfect Maria.

I didn't agree with Helena when she commented on her looks not being like Maria, but it would mean she would bring something new and different and would be like the 'real' Maria. I do hope she gets a part though. She'd make an excellent Liesl.

Did Julie Andrews make an appearance?

Connie has asked to do all eight shows! But they have already booked someone else to do 2 of them . . .

I would have thought Firday evening would be one of Connie's. If she misses any, it's more likely to be the mid-week ones or the public will be unhappy.

Glad you got tickets Dan! :D:D

Well done Dan. Fingers crossed for Connie.

Who decides these silly 'one ticket' rules? Don't they have friends or family?

I can just see it now. The audience taking placards with their family's names on so they can find each other, then swapping seats with everybody else so they can all sit together!