wiblick

We're all planning walk in runs! PART 2!

Well the girls have been here a week. Their first free-ranging session was met with resounding indifference, they spent all most as much time back in their run as they did out in the garden!

My completed run

Have split this from the main thread as becoming too long and it slows down the forum - Christian

Thanks Ygerna!

We're in Ireland so I looked at the Aviaries4U website and drooled, and showed a pic to a shed maker here - the run is 4 10ft panels and 2 6ft panels but only 5"8 high (and a little lower now that it's slighly sunk into the ground and we've had to do some higgeldy piggeldy joists as the roof bellied! Our fault entirely. So yeah, self assembly! OH hates DIY but is unfortuantely, for him, quite good at it.

The Eglu tables are 2 3ft X 3ft Decking slabs mounted on tree posts!

Anywhoo! It's 20ft by 6ft, so that's 120sq ft and big enough for 8. I have 7 in there at the moment but two will most likely be going due to one being a cockerel and the other being a crock! (she's limping, I think she thinks she's broody even though she's not laying and no one else is either, so there's no eggs to focus on! and she's bullying the baby girls something fierce... sleeping in their eglu so I have to transfer her every night to the other one where she promptly fights with the teens!)

Hey Palmer! Yep Linkabord veggie beds, you people are such enablers! It was great to be able to buy the cube ladders separately. We but some board behind them though.

Aoife

I thought you must have a massive garden but it just shows that you can fit in a WIR wherever you want :) .

Thanks ANH. It helps that I have no interest in flowers or lawn or decking or barbeques or sitting in the garden and if I'd had my way it'd have been bigger but I mustn't forget that I need a growers pen next year. My idea of an ideal garden is a workshop, a greenhouse, a huge veg patch and a compost heap! With any planting being of the hedgerow/meadow sort.

Your run looks fantastic!

My dad is busy building mine off site. I'm going over to treat teh wood this week and hopefully it'll go up over the next few weeks. I think I'm going to lay some paving slabs around the outside, so it has something solid to sit on but so that the girls can pick at the grass/ground.

Much excitement in this house as hen day draws closer.

OMG! I *spoke* to Tony, in RL, on the phone. Wooo, its like getting a call from the Queen or something. :lol:

Anyway. He really is lovely and I am now officially getting a WIR :dance::dance::dance:

It will be 12ftx6ftx6ft, with an eggport door, and a cube removal door. I am not getting a roof straight away, need to keep within a budget. I am getting Tony to build it on site :D

I am sat here laughing to myself. November I had no chickens. December I had one Eglu and three chickens. January I had two eglus and 6 chickens. February it was a CUBE and 8 chickens and now here we are in May and I have a WIR on order, 8 chickens and 4 hatching eggs :lol:

When does yours get delivered Janty, I forget :wink:

Part 3 here

It might be sometime soon...I think.

:D

Here are my latest arrivals...

Shanks and Paisley, the two Shetland crossbreeds (fingers crossed for blue eggs)

ShanksPaisleyandthequailies004.jpg

The quailies...yet to be named although the Spanish boy is called Fernando (as in Torres or the Abba song) and the Spanish girl is called Chiquitita.

:roll:

ShanksPaisleyandthequailies013.jpg

Well, I have had emails flying back and forth with Tony from Aviaries 4 u, had another phone call with my builder today, and its all looking good to be all done by the end of June (just in time to pick my girls up from Wernlas :D )

The plan is, my builder does the (rather extensive) groundwork, whilst Tony is building my WIR, the run gets delivered, my buillder assembles it.

Although with the groundwork as well it is costing an arm and a leg (so much so that we were planning a holiday in September and now we can't afford one! Never mind, I'd rather a week home with the girls anyway!)

Amazing really, 2 months ago having chickens was a pipe dream, and now I have a cube and 3 beautiful girls and will have my WIR very soon and 4 new additions!!!

Chickens, not addictive at all :lol:

BTW - Good luck for tomorrow Janty. As I suspect you might have a big day - I seem to remember some earlier completely understated posts :D

Its Thursay. I keep thinking 'Something' is happening today, but I can't quite put my finger on what that 'something' might be. :think:

Anyone else got any ideas :?: Anyone?

:D Have fun today Janty