We're hoping to get a 2 hybrid hens and 2 welsummer bantams for our eglu sometime next week, but we're not sure about how our cats would react to them. One cat has recently brought in a magpie and even got it through the catflap somehow. We don't think he harmed it badly (probably just shock) and it flew off once we got it out of the kitchen. Do you think it would be safe to have cats and bantams together? We hope to let them free range during the day when I'm around. I've heard that chickens are usually ok with cats, but would like some more opinions.

Thanks

Chunky Monkey

hi

i have 2 pekin bantams and a cat and i too was worried because the lavender pekin is tiny but they have been fine with the cat, she is frightened of them all.

it is fair to say she is a bit of a scaredey cat though :lol:

sarah

I have pekin bantams, one of which is really dinky, and we have a mahoosive ginger and white tom cat who catches wood pigeons as if they were sparrows - he has a curious look at the chickens sometimes but if they go closer to him he legs it.

To give you an idea how big he is he can't use the cat flap - and he also now wears one of those cat bells someone recommended on here, great big thing in the shape of a chickens head, off e-bay - he sounds like a mountain goat clanking about now but the bird population is safer!!!

Dawn x

I have a whole herd of bantams and miniatures and the cats (both veteran hunters) are scared witless of them.

I wouldn't recommend mixing minis and hybrids though - it can work on the odd occadion, but is more likely to end in tears due to the difference in size.

I was worried how my cat would get on with chickens too, but they are quite respectful of each other and give each other space and don't really bother with each other. You might want to invest in a water pistol in case your cat gets a bit too interested, but as you say it's for free ranging only when you are around (which is what we do). then you should be fine :D

Thank you for all of your replies. We'll see how our cats get on with them. Hopefully they should be ok with each other, but we'll watch them and see how they react.