Christian

Chicken Memorials

Our little Shellington.

Lost to mareks. :( such a gorgeous, cuddly, sweet natured girl who was the most lovely little patient in her last few days and wonderful companion for my 4 year old from day 1. 

Rest in Peace Shelly. We will miss you. Xxxxx

IMG-20180501-WA0030.jpg

IMG-20180501-WA0017.jpg

• Sad 1

Our little spotty dotty....

Said goodbye today to our beautiful girl ūüėĘ such a gentle, sweet natured little bird. The sweetest patient and gentlest girl.¬†¬†She will be very missed by us all.

Rest in peace my beautiful, sweet girl.  We will miss you Xxxxx

IMG-20180705-WA0041.jpg

IMG-20180705-WA0015.jpeg

Edited by Natspringy

RIP Little Legbar.

Unfortunately my partner just went out to check them and he found her snuggled up under her wing but completely gone. It looked like she'd just drifted off in the last hour or so. 

There was no sign of sickness or injury, so maybe it was just her time to go. :( 

• Sad 2

Goodbye little Skye, the nosiest and chattiest cuddle munchkin of the lot.  Crossed over yesterday aged 10 and some months under her belt.  

005.jpg

• Sad 3

Posted (edited)

Agnes, 4 years old, Rhode Rock.  Passed away 21st March 2019.

A feisty little thing that always laid rubbish eggs and didn't bother laying eggs at all from March 2018 onwards!  A real character who always ran down the garden path flapping her wings like she was on a runway about to take off.  I'll miss her.

agnesforums.JPG

Edited by Hippie Chick
  • Like 1

Lost one of our young Bantams last night.  She looked like she was sleeping when I found her.   Curled up with her head resting near her wing.  She was fine yesterday as she was out and about with the others, looked healthy and even laid an egg 

RIP Cookie.  Just 7 months old 

C0EE673F-4E0B-4CBC-BDF1-0C61F1B3DCFB.jpeg

• Sad 1

Well sad ending, but not before time.  Trigger turned particularly nasty to his girls and us.  He had a lot of freedom here and even that didn't stop him from grabbing the girls by their heads and swinging them round.  Last straw when he jumped on one of the Swedes and trampled on her head because I'd been doing some bumblefeet treatment on her.  The reintroduction about half an hour later with her vetwrapped booties was too nasty to be allowed to continue.  The first time he chased her round the orchard until she found a safe place out of his reach.  I hate dispatching, but he had to go.:-(

The photo below was taken on better terms at Christmas, but he'd already started going for me before then!

I am going to rethink roosters - always wanted one, perhaps he wasn't the best to start with, but there are nicer lads around but maybe not this year because I feel the ladies need time to recover and enjoy their lives now.

IMG-20181229-WA0003.jpg

• Sad 1

You did the right thing, Valkyrie. Sounds as though he was making life very difficult for the ladies and bullying them let alone the two of you!

• Like 1

He was more obnoxious the other day - he kept calling the girls away from me so they'd run happily to me for their corn but stopped in their tracks and went back to him in the garden.  As a result of that they stayed in their run for 2 days, well, door open with electric fencing on so they could wander around outside but limited so that I didn't have to chase them all around the garden, orchard and field.  Last night I gave them their freedom for a couple of hours to see and they came in when I called, so he was allowed to sit in the sun and wander for his last hours before bed.  Yep, stressful for us all.  

Sorry to hear that Trigger turned mean Valkyrie - you definitely did the right thing dispatching him.  I've only had to do spare lads that we've hatched so far but Marvin, our bantam, is on his final warning now!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think that's the trouble - I lost count how many times Trigger had the final warning!  I think you keep hoping, but it's in the genes.  With Jiu Jiu he was our only hatched boy, so was a girl until he crowed - and then we had no choice but to dispatch.  Good luck Minnie&Moose.  

Edited by Valkyrie
Resting on the keyboard! oops

Thanks Valkyrie.  Marvin seems to be on his best behaviour at the moment - one of his broody hens has just left her chicks and returned to his gang - he's ever so happy to see Midge again!

Reprieve!  Hopefully it was a short spat.  Incidentally, Trigger made delicious soup and the meat was much more tender.

I'm sorry to hear that Val - some cockerels can be just plain nasty (so can some hens though!) I hope that you find a better natured chap for your girls.

M&M, I'll give Marvin a stern talking to when I see him!

It had to be done DM - he was downright nasty to us and to the girls.  The only one he left alone was Dusty.  She wouldn't allow hanky panky either.  But he was pulling their heads and swinging them round, stamping on them from the side - and not hanky panky either, just bad tempered boy.  They seem to be settling down fine at the moment.  By the way Inga has been getting the bumblefoot treatment - one gone thanks to your instructions.

My little Willie a Barbu d’uccle Cockerel is very sweet.  Got him by mistake fromCostwold Chickens as Millie.  Then he crowed.  But never got round to returning him. 

There’s a FB page to rehome and/or Rescue Cockerels which I used to find Phillip a new home.  Red Rooster Rescue.  If you want another Kerry, try them.  Lots of school hatchlings now.  I wish schools would stop doing that. 

RIP Pepper. She's gone to the big coop in the sky.

hTIDKia.jpg

• Sad 1

Poor Pepper - fly high little one.  Lots of hugs for you too AndyRoo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valkyrie said:

Poor Pepper - fly high little one.  Lots of hugs for you too AndyRoo.

We're ok. All our original hybrids are coming up to being around about 3 years old (or slightly older), so I was expecting them to start popping off sooner rather than later.

• Like 1