Christian

Chicken Memorials

RIP Little Myrtle. She had been looking a little peaky for a few days; I'm not sure if the heat got to her or not, but she's gone to the big coop in the sky now.

EfOUM6VX0AAsHDL.thumb.jpeg.817cec8f2b646e71280d828478e56e27.jpeg

• Sad 1

So sorry, Andy Roo.  They really pull at your heart strings.   Probably was the heat which tipped the balance.  She’s flying free now though xx

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricia W said:

So sorry, Andy Roo.  They really pull at your heart strings.   Probably was the heat which tipped the balance.  She’s flying free now though xx

Yeah, we're honestly not sure what happened. I noted she had a pale comb about a week ago and she seemed a bit lethargic. I gave her some veggies and put vitamins in their water and she perked up a bit for a few days, but then she went back to being a little down. I checked her over and she didn't have any signs of illness lice. I did a mite check since the live scare the other month (which I have treated with Ivermectin), but there was no sign of them... she wasn't egg bound... it's a bit sad, but she was about 4 years old, so I guess that's about average for a hybrid? The heat probably hasn't helped - even though they've been in the shade. Maybe it was just her time to go.

Three to 5 is average for a hybrid so yes, it was probably her time.  But it is never easy.   Madonna, my last Poland, is coming up to 8, has more or less stopped laying so I think she’ll be next.  All you can do is give them a good life while you have them.