laurmurf

BEEHAUS

:shock: That surprises me. Perhaps it was on an exposed site - they looked fairly sturdy to me when I saw them at the Grand Designs show. I suppose if it was side-on to the wind, it offers a large surface but then so does a traditional Dartington hive. Perhaps there wasn't much weight in it - I'd have thought that if those deep frames were filled with stores, it would be quite heavy.

My Beehaus, now in the process of being battered down for winter would have to be in hurricane-force winds to blow over I reckon!

The legs give it quite a wide base, and it weighs a bloomin' ton! And, it is effectively only half full at present!

Granted, if it were in an exposed position, it would be more at risk - but then, it shouldn't really be that exposed! :wink:

Mine is in a fairly exposed spot, the beehaus is fairly weighty and as it's on flat ground it's not going anywhere so I'm not too concerned... However that is not to say if we had a typhoon tornado or hurricane it wouldn't blow over like with most other objects...

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the biggest threat to bees is damp and as the Beehaus is off the ground this helps somewhat to prevent it and I believe they can cope with quite well in exposed areas that are subject to wind and breeze...

TheChookKeeper,

You say The legs give it quite a wide base,, but My Dartingtons have splayed legs and the wooden hive is considerably heavier than the beehaus, when empty and the legs are wider apart. I would think they are more stale than my beehaus.

Regards, RAB