laurmurf

BEEHAUS

One thing I'm annoyed about is that they say they're going to launch a yellow one, yet they won't reintroduce the yellow eglu, which is what I really want. :?

I read on this forum somewhere and some while back that the yellow eglus attracted more flies than the other colours. Perhaps that's why they won't reintroduce the yellow eglu.

I WANT I WANT!

Told Mum last night that I want one for Christmas. She said "We are not getting bees". hmmmmmmm. I seem to remember her saying "we are not getting chickens" her latest line is "should we get another eglu - we don't have enough nesting boxes".

So what colour shall I have for Christmas???

One thing I'm annoyed about is that they say they're going to launch a yellow one, yet they won't reintroduce the yellow eglu, which is what I really want. :?

I read on this forum somewhere and some while back that the yellow eglus attracted more flies than the other colours. Perhaps that's why they won't reintroduce the yellow eglu.

I can believe that, my son had to wear a yellow tshirt for sports day and his team were absolutely smothered in flies :vom:

I don't think it's that frighteningly expensive compared to new wooden hives, or polly hives. However...ideally you would need a spare BB for each colony for doing artificial swarms. And a couple extra supers for each colony in case of bumper crop. And mouse guard, feeders, etc etc. And you would want to be able to get something quickly: e.g. an extra super.... so the long lead time for cubes etc would not work for a hive.

Don't see the advantage over a cheaper National sized polly hive, TBH, but maybe when we see them we will!

I can believe that, my son had to wear a yellow tshirt for sports day and his team were absolutely smothered in flies :vom:

Not really-not according to current Yellow eglu owners.

The question is really whether your back garden is suitable for a beehive! I don't think these will be any more or less suitable than any other sort, it depends on your location and your neighbours.

You can buy bees through the post but it's often easier and cheaper to get a swarm via your local beekeeping association. What I really hope is that they will be encouraging people to join their local group and get some training. Bees are a bit more complicated than chickens, and at least you know your chickens aren't suddenly going to fly off in a big cloud! I wouldn't have ventured into it without the support of local beekeepers.

I wonder if they've had some trial versions, I'm aware that there were some changes and teething problems with the first Eglus, but you can't move bees around quite as easily as you can move chickens. :?

Lots of questions, no answers as yet!

You can buy and sell bees, there are companies in the UK who do just that. Mostly imported bees (a huge can of worms there: suffice to say many /most lcoal BKA would rather not see imported bees in their area).

I hope Omlet don't supply bees with the hive. Most commercial set-ups supply a nuc of bees, not a full hive, this is better for beginners. So will that mean Omlet will design nuc boxes too? Most commercial set-ups import bees, which IMO is not very sustainable.

Just done a bit of a costing with what little knowledge I have so far ( 2 mini courses :D) and tbh, I'd say it compares reasonably favorably. It depends what you get in the complete Beehaus package.

Approx prices of 'traditional' gear.

National Hive ~ £ 315 new.

Astronaut style Jacket and hood ~ £40

Smoker ~ £16

Leather gloves ~ £15

Assorted tools ~ £20

And that is just for starters

From one the biggest existing supplier of beekeeping equipment you can already get a complete package excluding bees for the following amounts

£108 for the hive (in cedar, that will last 50 years and uses no petrochemicals)

£152 for above plus smoker, hive tool, leather gloves, jacket and veil, bee brush, smoker cartridges, 1 gallon feeder and a mouseguard.

£239 for all the above plus manual extractor, three 15lb buckets, one 30lb bucket with fitted nylon valve, a nylon double strainer and an uncapping fork.

all these prices are plus VAT but carriage is free.

A nucleus of bees from a local bee keeping association will be from £40- £80, a swarm will cost nothing.

So you can be up and running with bees for around 350 quid, or 270 quid if you get a swarm.

Plastic frames are truly horrible things, plastic hives also cause massive problems if your bees get foul brood as they cannot be disposed of by burning on site (mandatory by DEFRA if your bees get American foul brood) nor can they be scorched out with a blowtorch if you get European foul brood.

Not sure if I can mention them by name, but entering bee keeping supplies in Google returns them as the top of the list.

then click on the "Bees on a budget" link top left of the page.

The hive pack is as follows

Flat packed National Hive, comprising an open mesh floor, brood body with 11 DN4 frames on metal runners, 11 sheets of british standard deep wired foundation, harmless queen excluder, two supers each with 10 SN1 frames on metal castellations, 20 sheets of british standard shallow wired foundation, crownboard with two plastic porter bee escapes and a 4” roof. The hive includes full assembly instructions, glue and nails for all hive parts and frames.