:shock: i have just seen "the egg" :lol::lol: it looks like alien chickens from the seventies have decided to invade....i can just imagine the door slowly lowering and little green chickens in silver lycra suits marching out saying "take us to your leader" :lol::lol:

:shock: i have just seen "the egg" :lol: :lol: it looks like alien chickens from the seventies have decided to invade....i can just imagine the door slowly lowering and little green chickens in silver lycra suits marching out saying "take us to your leader" :lol: :lol:

Wow, I have just been reading this thread and thought exactly the same about alien chickens! :lol::lol::lol:

People think I'm mad with my cube! :shock:

But I think they would be taking me away with the Pink egg :lol:

Dare i mention it but im actually looking into getting a chicube as well. ive tried the cube-cock too noisy, ive tried lots of sep eglus currently covering my lawn. But to be honest my little man is still not happy bit cramped up in the eglu with his batt girls and his 2 sisters are seriously naffed off being split from their big bro every night. My orps are a bit precious as you can gather, as i hatched them all myself. So we are currently building a walk in run, roof yet to be added. Then im probably going to get some sort of chicube to go into the run so i can fit 4 hens and a cock into the one thing and keep the two ducks on the lawn in an eglu.

Although im wondering if any of you that went to Tatton may have gone to hampton and noticed another chicken house in the grow to eat allottment (cant remember the exact name of it) it looks a bit like one of those shepherds hut green and white. been searching the net but cant find anything. can anyone assist?

i haven't I promise - we have had nothing but torrential rain here for the last couple of days - not conducive to photo taking. I will try again today to do it - trust me I am keen to show it off LOL!

Meanwhile I have to pop to the vet, I think my Indian may have failing kidneys :( . She has never laid and I don't think she was as young as we were led to beleive. She has never been right but at least she has had 5 months of freedom compared to where we got her from :cry:

see you all in a bit

:shock: i have just seen "the egg" :lol: :lol: it looks like alien chickens from the seventies have decided to invade....i can just imagine the door slowly lowering and little green chickens in silver lycra suits marching out saying "take us to your leader" :lol: :lol:

Wow, I have just been reading this thread and thought exactly the same about alien chickens! :lol::lol::lol:

People think I'm mad with my cube! :shock:

But I think they would be taking me away with the Pink egg :lol:

well you know what they say.. great minds do think alike :lol:

Thanks for all your kind words - she was a real beauty and full of character. Sad to have lost her so early, but the vet put my mind at ease that she had had a good life with us and that we had certainly extended her life expectancy.

Anyway, enough of me hijacking the thread - here are the photos you have been waiting for - lots of them, not the best but they give an idea. You will note Handbag insisting getting into shot and showing you how she uses her home :lol:. she loves it so much she has gone broody again! I use a hoe to lean in and s"Ooops, word censored!"e the tops of the bars as I am short. The marks on the bars are good old gentian violet and rusty water marks from the hoe where I had forgotten that it had been stood the wrong way up :roll: . I have a spare set. There are normally 3 seed trays in the nest box but I had taken one out to bring the eggs indoors and Handbag in her eagerness to get back in, tipped up one of the others spilling hemcore everywhere - not something that happens when you have the 3 in there. I know it hasn't got the fancy slide out trays - I am using grow bag trays instead which work just as well. The main thing is that I have all my girls sleeping under one roof happily and with oodles of space yet have not had to resort to a wooden house.

Hopefully the photos are self explanatory as I am having a mare trying to put descriptions under them. Any queries just pick my brain .... whats left anyway

DSCF0855.jpg

DSCF0867.jpg

DSCF0868.jpg

DSCF0866.jpg

DSCF0869.jpg

DSCF0870.jpg

DSCF0872.jpg

DSCF0877.jpg

DSCF0871.jpg

DSCF0873.jpg

DSCF0874.jpg

DSCF0875.jpg

DSCF0876.jpg

DSCF0877.jpg

DSCF0878.jpg

DSCF0879.jpg

Edited by Guest

Thanks for the photos redfrock :D The chicubes really seem to work well for greater numbers of hens without going wooden.

At the risk of sounding mad and without taste, I quite like The Egg! If I had £900 spare I would be very tempted to get one as a mild joke, not in pink though... it would definitely be a conversation piece :lol:

I also have to say that the Solway Eco Hen House (http://www.solwayrecycling.co.uk/products/hen-houses.asp) is a good contender for the eglu. The run is a more sensible length meaning they look less tunnel-like, they are made from recycled plastic and they're quite a bit cheaper than eglus.

What I can't understand is why omlet hasn't made an eglu with wheels (other than the cube) as moving one onto a new path of grass (especially with an extension) is a real pain. This would give them a great advantage over the competitors and allow them to more easily justify the price.

Sorry, I think that is great. It has lots of room and for a lot of chickens especially bigger heavier ones its a good option. There is room to enjoy all sorts of hen houses and it's good to have choices, it doesn't have to be a competition :D

it looks like it will do the job and is easy to clean and you are happy with it so :dance: wel done you :dance:

i dont have anything fancy for my girls i'm afraid we rushed into things a bit...my hubby mentioned having chickens might be nice ...found breeder on the net ...drove for 3/4 hour chose two chickens...got home...put them in the garage for the night as we had nothing to keep them in :doh:

i know completely irresponsible but i hadn't found you guys at that stage! :angel:

i now have five chickens and seven chicks in repectable accomodation....

i am saving for a "proper" home for them so your info has been really useful thanks :)

:shock: How much!!!!! :o daj198 :shock: i'm glad i don't really like the egg...although my kids think its wicked :roll: ...although the pink would match my very austin powers style dinning room... :wink: i may post a picture...its has pink and orange swirly wallpaper...honest :lol::lol: apparently my kids have spotted the same paper on the basil brush show!

thanks for posting the pics thats really useful. I still need to work out the dimensions i would like mine to be made in though as my boy is v big and clumsy. He flicks one of his legs out when he gets excited or aggated so need to allow for that as well, crazy i know.

Do you jet wash it down at all when you clean it out? i hoping to do that and clean it more or less the same as i would the eglu

It is a lot of money i think for what it is!! It is sometimes hard to tell by photos but it looks a lot smaller and it certainly doesn't look so good asthetically.

It is actually twice the size of the cube - it is 8ft long by 4ft wide by 3ft tall. I needed to have put something close to it to give some perspective. Maybe I shall try and take a photo with one of the chooks stood on top of it! That should help!

Pickles - yes i just get the hose pipe on it and also use poultry shield every couple of weeks. I can also pressure wash it. I leave it open to dry in the sunshine or if the weather is poor, get an old towel and wipe it down.

Gamebird - it could probably hold about 18 birds quite comfortably, and bear in mind we have some biggish girls. There is no squabbling over the nest boxes and it is working really well when I have several broodies as they cannot roll the eggs underneath them!

Thanks for posting redfrock, I think it looks great! Very practical and spacious - I love the multiple nest boxes, and you make a very valid point re broody hens.

The only advantage of the omlet cube, for me, would be that it is raised up so high. I have lower back problems which make it uncomfortable for me to work for any length of time in the eglu at ground level - although I have seen pictures of them raised up on tables or platforms in walk in runs, and may yet steal this idea!

I'm wondering if it's fox proof? And the Solway Eco Henhouse?

Obviously the run with the Solway has no skirt so not fox resistant but none of the other houses mention foxes :think: That was pretty much what swayed me to get an Eglu in the first place.

Once they are locked up for the night, you know they are 100% safe :D