I'm wondering if it's fox proof? And the Solway Eco Henhouse?

Obviously the run with the Solway has no skirt so not fox resistant but none of the other houses mention foxes :think: That was pretty much what swayed me to get an Eglu in the first place.

Once they are locked up for the night, you know they are 100% safe :D

Nowhere for foxes to get into there! It weighs a ton so nothing could shift or open anything on it. It has extremely secure bolts securing all the doors, and the ramps lift up and latch so that they are locked in at night - not that I bother in the summer

The run they supply also has a skirt around it and the clearance off the ground is minimal. You can actually have it sat on the ground like the eglu.

We have wired it into the front of our walk-in run so that there is welded mesh around the front of it.

Trust me I wouldn't buy anything that put my girls even slightly at risk - they are incredibly precious to me (hence I cry every time I lose one - to ill health, not to foxes).

It was a very difficult decision to sell my cubes - I loved them and still do, so it is not that I think one is better than the other (after all I still have my eglu). It is purely that I had expanded beyond the cube's capacity and this form of housing has allowed me to do so. while still retaining the benefits of a non-wooden house. I'm thinking of putting some of those fancy car transfer on it to brighten it up. They don't fade (the stickers) and would give it a bit more character!

Edited by Guest

I quite like it :D I am surprised that I do as I find the small ones and tall ones not so attractive :lol: a lower and wider shape somehow looks better

I like the fact it has two doors for busy times :lol:

I'm def not a fan of the Solway houses, the runs have big holed mesh, are very small and the house doesnt come with a floor as standard

Red, is yours the "Extra large"? How much did it cost to have the storage area converted to an extra nestbox/have the extra pop hole put in, please?

I really like the large one, i think it would be great for our allotment birds (they have a huge area fenced with Arras fencing and electric fencing, so the run is not necessary).

Hazel

Red, is yours the "Extra large"? How much did it cost to have the storage area converted to an extra nestbox/have the extra pop hole put in, please?

I really like the large one, i think it would be great for our allotment birds (they have a huge area fenced with Arras fencing and electric fencing, so the run is not necessary).

Hazel

Hi Hazel - mine is based on the extra large one but is much bigger. All the alterations are my idea :D - I wanted to make it all as easy as possible. Also I felt that having seperate nest areas would be better. The one thing I will say is that I didn't realise just how heavy these panels are, and because mine is so large I cannot lift the dividers out - I am reliant on OH for that. Rather than take them all the way out, we raise them a couple of inces up so that we can hose under them and make sure it is properly clean. The one that I went to see was one of the small ones for 3 chooks - again they are bigger than you think. I was able to lift everything on that one because it was so much smaller.

It cost me £800 in total - significantly less than the price of 2 cubes.

Nowhere for foxes to get into there! It ways a ton so nothing could shift or open anything on it. It has extremely secure bolts securing all the doors, and the ramps lift up and latch so that they are locked in at night - not that I bother in the summer

The run they supply also has a skirt around it and the clearance off the ground is minimal. You can actually have it sat on the ground like the eglu.

We have wired it into the front of our walk-in run so that there is welded mesh around the front of it.

Trust me I wouldn't buy anything that put my girls even slightly at risk - they are incredibly precious to me (hence I cry every time I lose one - to ill health, not to foxes).

It was a very difficult decision to sell my cubes - I loved them and still do, so it is not that I think one is better than the other (after all I still have my eglu). It is purely that I had expanded beyond the cube's capacity and this form of housing has allowed me to do so. while still retaining the benefits of a non-wooden house. I'm thinking of putting some of those fancy car transfer on it to brighten it up. They don't fade (the stickers) and would give it a bit more character!

If only I had a bigger garden :whistle:

I would definitely love to expand my flock and it does work out much cheaper than 2 cubes.

Ooo, I think the car transfers would look really 8)

Thanks for the great photo's - this is a really interesting alternative to the cube (I wouldn't consider a wooden house).

Given the ground clearance do you think there is any risk of rats setting up home underneath?

Also, is it as easy to clean as a cube given that you must have to lean over and reach down to scrub the floor and bottom corners?

Food for thought in my dream of a WIR and home for a dozen or so girls...

thanks for the pix - I quite like it and I certainly prefer it to the cube (I don't like the ladder) but I'm not keen on having to lean down into it to clean it out. I'd want the side/a large door to open. When ( :lol: ) it gets hot would you mind doing a temperature compare and contrast with the eglu? Thanks,

Yes - pictures will follow! I'm not working Tuesday morning so I will be out with the camera. :D Now I just need to see what's happening with the birds - last I heard the DTB Centre have fallen out with their couriers and were asking the zoo couriers (yes- the ones who transport rhinoseroses and giraffes! :eh: ) if they would do it. :lol: I think they are waiting for a quote.

redfrock, trying to work out the weather sice you had it...

was reliably informed that there is a condensation problem with them....

but that might be the shed style ones. appanrently pours off roof!

By the way yes littlehen use them, & getmoney back from sales much like BHWT do Eglu's.

Do you think you could do a temperature test on it...

(gosh don't want much do we? you buy we ask you all the questions.)

how wiide are the ramps?

Are those dors as large as an Eglu door?

What are the ventilarion holes like?

(you did say ask away didn't you?) :oops:

Finally, do you think anything you could do would make it look....

well prettier! :)

:):D or wooden! :lol:

Hi everyone, ha ha you lot are as mad as me!!! :lol:

I saw these at the cheshire show and they did look very good but i do prefer the look and quirkiness of the omlet. :D i have an eglu and desperatley want a cube as well, so i can get even more chickie girls!!!! :pray:

Oh and as for the chicube egg, ha ha reminded me of mork and mindy (anyone old enough to remember that)? :oops::lol::lol::lol:

x

(green eglu)

(Bluebelle) x 2 bluebelles - bluebelle and daisy a.k.a kevin and perry

(white chicken) sussex - alice

GNR -ginger

(Bluebelle) splash orps x 2 - patsy and edina a.k.a squeak and beep beep (dont ask)

RIP PP pepperpot - posh

PP sussex - geraldine (the Vicar) that darn nasty fox :twisted:

Edited by Guest

Hi Sandy

sorry not replied to similar questions earlier. Had a sudden bereavement.

Can't temperature test - no means of doing so, but a simple hand in there shows it is nice & cool. In fact when it got really hot the chooks went into their house to keep cool. Def not had any condensation whatsoever and we seem to have been through all sorts of weather lately (remember the police have similar for dog kennels). Remember that people claim the eglu / cube suffer from condensation too and that is complete twaddle. Ramps are plenty wide enough - even my Orp is happy. Ventilation holes excellent - plenty of them, and you can drop down the flap for extra ventilation.

If I find any problems I will definitely report back - I believe in giving a balanced review.

All I can say is that I am very happy and that it is £800 very well spent, also my chooks are very happy too, so so far, for the summer it has proven to be excellent - now we have to wait to see what the winter brings. The only thing I can foresee is possibly finding the doors freeze shut! Nothing we can't sort out.

And it really does look better in the flesh - but my chooks welfare is paramount over any aesthetics and as I said, I may well adorn it with those large car decals.

Hi Sandy

sorry not replied to similar questions earlier. Had a sudden bereavement.

Sorry to hear you've had sad news redfrock :(

I fancy a cube but im bothered about the orps climbing the ladder, dont want any mishaps! :?

x

My 4 Orpies have no trouble with the ladder up to the cube......it's undignified, but the little ladies aren't that graceful either :roll::lol: !

I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer so could do the temperature checks if you like - although I don't think there will be any point until I have any chickens to go in it :D Presumably an unoccupied house will eventually reach equilibrium at or around the external temperature without the windchill factor. As soon as the chooks get here I will do the test and post the results.

redfrock

do you have any boys in your chicube at all? im just wondering if they will keep the noise down more that the cube did. I have my buff orp cock in an eglu at the minute to try and keep the noise down, you can still hear him but just not as shrill

I think im going to have to change my omlet name arnt I, 3364ib is not the easiest to be chatting away to. :( ok, at the time i was having a dumb moment ):D

does anybody know how i get to keep my smilies and chickens at the bottom of the page or do i have to keep putting them in? :?

Back to the orps, thanks for that. Was having a major panic because i have a large old chicken house which is up a ramp (set in a large run, where my girls go through the day if im not around), the first week i had my orps (10 wks old) and for love nor money would they go up the ramp to bed. I literally had to catch them every night and put them to bed. They had no problem coming down it for food though ha ha :wall:

so me panicking they were going to do them selfs mischief, my very kind hubby (builder) said he would make me a new house until i got a cube :wink: , guess what he made it there and then, (maybe sick of chasing birds round the run :lol: )

Soon as he made it, they walk straight in and go to sleep.

Ive got to get a cube soon though because i want a black and buff orp too, and floor size is probably only a little bigger than the floor space in the eglu :think: althoughit is a lot taller, maybe i cud buy them bunk beds haha :dance:

x

Ive got to get a cube soon though because i want a black and buff orp too, and floor size is probably only a little bigger than the floor space in the eglu :think: althoughit is a lot taller, maybe i cud buy them bunk beds haha :dance:

x

I wouldn't expect Orpies to be bright enough to be able to work out that bunk beds are for chickens to spread out on...if one found the top bunk to be comfy I would expect them all to be there, and likewise the bottom bunk...they really are not the brightest of creatures on this earth :roll::lol: !!

To change your forum name, you used to have to contact a moderator, but now I think Omlet have to do it for you. I'm sure a mod would point you in the right direction. Good luck with your signature,

Sha x