Sammi J

Chickens, chickens, chickens!!!

:wink:

I can't find the Red Eglu either. I was going to read about Monty Don but it wanted me to register

:oops: i've looked but i cant find it anywhere!! am i just being ditsy or is it not on the website??

Sorry, Lesley, Sorry Jenni ... I was only trying to help .. the article was by Rita Konig .. "Fantasises about rearing her own flock of city-dwelling hens".

I will try this again later ... but maybe Omlet will run a bit on the their press articles page.

Sarah - You're back - where have you been!?
nice to have been missed again .... just busy ... today 2nd coat of greeen on chooks fence and gate, and repainted the garage door (Band Q Oatmeal).

Other then that doing School stuff .. oh and painting eggs for the omlet comp!!!!!!!. :lol: .

:roll: For those reading the thread and my ref.to Telegraph mag today .... there is no link on the web to this ... TYPICAL. Hence I have edited my orig message to avoid anymore hassle ... and apologise to those who have wasted time searching for this ... off to put kids to bed then I will summarise the article here :roll: .

It was quite nice to the Eglu!. :P

Later ...

8) There we go .. that was efficient 8) .

Right ... article snippets as this

"- there are currently chickens being kept in more than 200,000 gardens all over the UK (membership of the Poultry Club of Great Britan has risen by 15% during the last year alone).

"You can even get hens by Mail order: omlet.co.uk one of the most stylish sites, provides everything you need, from fox-proof henhouses to a couple of reliable layers and a handy four-egg boxes for easy present giving".

".. despite being designed by students from the Royal College of Art, the thoroughly modern chicken coop you get from Omlet is not terribly attractive (hmmm ... according to whom!!!! :wink: ).

"It is punningly called an Eglu and looks like a neoprene wetsuit ....(well thats a matter of opinion :wink: ) ... but it is the latest in weather-and-fox proof construction!.

She then goes onto to "personally" favour the Domestic Fowl Trust ... DFT, who do wooden henhouses ... how stupid is SHE!!!!.

Rita .. then goes onto mention breeds and Bantams and the Duchess of Devonshire (book "Counting my Chickens" Deborah Devonshire) .

THEN .. just for Lesley ..... 8)

I like anything that involves a costume. I love the idea of nipping out to the urban coop in a long white nightie, wellies, someone elses tweed coat and a felt hat pulled down against the wind to fetch in the eggs for breakfast"

:lol::lol: She then recommends some expensive slip on wellies to go egg collecting in your nightie ...hence the favour towards the wooden henhouse, me thinks :wink::lol::lol::lol:

There is a lovely shot of a (red eglu) , and PP , and four eggs in an omlet box .. even a blue one :!:8) . !egg! that is :!:

Kind regards ....

:wink: Err thanks Kate , not really that exciting ... the best laugh I had when I read it, was Lesley, in wellies and overcoat, think the white nightie was thrown in for PC :lol: . Is Rita .. lesleys PEN name :?::?::?: . Clever how she disguised it, with the favouring of a trad coop. :wink: .

i was just checking out the domestic fowl trust's website and noticed that they have a duck starter kit.

if only there was more room in my garden!! i love ducks but

a) we dont have a pond, and they need a proper one really

and

b) i've heard they can be very smelly :? not so nice in the summer i should think!!

i wonder if their houses are tested foxproof? :P

jenni .x.

I love ducks too but we've really had to draw the line at chickens!

Sarah, that was really kind of you to do that...it was interesting...and funny with your asides, esp. the coat reference....brilliant.

At least she brought Eglus into the article, even if she favoured wood.....we so nearly bought a wooden ark...& would have come home with one but the place we visited was out of stock. Thankfully, as it turns out! :D

:wink: Err thanks Kate , not really that exciting ... the best laugh I had when I read it, was Lesley, in wellies and overcoat, think the white nightie was thrown in for PC :lol: . Is Rita .. lesleys PEN name :?::?::?: . Clever how she disguised it, with the favouring of a trad coop. :wink: .

Definitely wouldn't include the long white nightie if it was me :shock: just the wellies and coat :lol:

As you also called her 'stupid' I think not (others may disagree!)