Plum

A question for the master builder - Redwing? or ....

ooooh I just bought some from Wickes today but they are up at the field.... the label was brown though and said suitable for wood, the brown label ones are really easy to drive in and rarely split the wood (different ones have diff colour labels)

I love Wickes screws as the bigger packets come wiith the correct size drill bit for your leccy screwdriver and takes all the nonsense out of trying to figure it out for yourself :D

I am sure that ASTW had some close up pics of his A4U run and it was two screws in each joint :D
Yes, he certainly does 8)** see here **.

The A4U panels are made with 38mm x 50mm pre-treated wood. Each panel is held to its neighbour by three 75mm screws on each side (just to be clear, six hold each vertical in place, two from each side). There's other links on the page I've listed, but if you have any other questions, please just ask.

Andrew

EDIT: Been out to physically check on the number of screws, it's three down each side, six altogether, text above has been corrected.

Edited by Guest

You want stainless steel or zinc yellow passivated ideally, I have loads but I buy them for work, check out screwfix for more info, when securing anything it depends on the weight and span ratio to how many screws you will need, ie a legnth of 2x1 wood at 1m long fir a perch you will get away with 1 fixing each end, thicker wood ie3x2 I'd put 2 each end just for stability as the wood can roll slightly when pressure is applied, hope that helps

Now then I am grateful for technicalities or tips.

I got screws with brown label and screwer bit inside that fits my screwdriver they are easyuse or something single thread with pointy bit at end and the nice lady at the counter said they are fine for outside. :dance:

May put an extra nail or two in to make me feel better. Right back to my planning. :wink::lol:

Now then I am grateful for technicalities or tips.

I got screws with brown label and screwer bit inside that fits my screwdriver they are easyuse or something single thread with pointy bit at end and the nice lady at the counter said they are fine for outside. :dance:

May put an extra nail or two in to make me feel better. Right back to my planning. :wink::lol:

When can we expect the technical drawings Plum? :wink:

Changed my plans a bit, I am going to make a wonky base with the pallet wood so that I can screw the straight 90 deg run on top. Reason being I can then use it elsewhere and I can fill the base partly with soil so that most of it is flat. :D

My OH said I was cruel making them live on the slope even though I said I would get Welsh mountain chickens with one leg shorter than the other. He also sent me some Escher art to help me with the project. :lol::lol:

Another change of plan found a flat bit of ground, well actually the paving slabs next to the cube run and I've put down another row of broken slabs for me for the winter. :D

I've started the big build and thanks for advice the screws are going in fine. :dance: I find the weldmesh hard to work with and have had to recut one bit.

Ive given up on rulers and metal tapes for measuring the wood and am using my patchwork rulers. Far superior and more accurate. 8) Haven't got a saw so am using a hacksaw but doing ok with it. Might get a new blade out of my car, I keep them there for adjusting walking sticks.

It doesn't bare close scrutiny but I'm doing ok so far. :D

Another change of plan found a flat bit of ground, well actually the paving slabs next to the cube run and I've put down another row of broken slabs for me for the winter. :D

I've started the big build and thanks for advice the screws are going in fine. :dance: I find the weldmesh hard to work with and have had to recut one bit.

Ive given up on rulers and metal tapes for measuring the wood and am using my patchwork rulers. Far superior and more accurate. 8) Haven't got a saw so am using a hacksaw but doing ok with it. Might get a new blade out of my car, I keep them there for adjusting walking sticks.

It doesn't bare close scrutiny but I'm doing ok so far. :D

a pair of nail pinchers or side cutters like sparkys use or the best for weld mesh quicker to